1 (3%)
Become a rapper.
9 (27.3%)
Join the Peace Corp.
6 (18.2%)
Do drugs.
10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: I graduated from college today.  (Read 4469 times)

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
I graduated from college today.
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:14:23 PM »
B.A. in English Lit.

Decide my life.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Dan B

Re: I graduated from college today.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:15:47 PM »
Hero'n, here we come.

TL

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13:05 PM »
I have a BA in Eng. Lit, and lookit me!
(I voted "Join the Peace Corps, but as I typed the above sentence, I started to think I should've just encouraged you to do drugs - but CONGRATULATIONS!!   ;D  )
Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »
congorts
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

emma

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »
can you not be a rapper, work at trader joe's and do drugs simultaneously? I had a super hard time deciding.

also, congratulations!!!!!

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:24:35 PM »
I have a B.A. in Literature too.
Congrats!
Is law school out of the question for you?
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:26:17 PM »
I other words "are you a decent human being?"
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

todd

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:26:56 PM »
Congrats! If you're anything like me, the next year of your life will probably be confusing or frustrating, but it gets better. Good luck on the job hunt!

TL

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »
can you not be a rapper, work at trader joe's and do drugs simultaneously? I had a super hard time deciding.

See - THAT'S thinkin' - what did/are YOU majoring in Emma, other than Life, which you obviously aced?
Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 10:27:27 PM »
I have that degree too. Whatever you do, don't go to school for library science..

DO DRUGS IN THE PEACECORP AND RAP ABOUT IT!

don't feel any pressure to get a real job. Just have fun. Do more drugs. Make music. Travel. Real jobs will always be there to come back to (unless something goes terribly wrong, in which case, we're all in trouble) So just go out there and do everything you want to do and have as much fun as possible.

CONGRATULATIONS THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER!

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I have that degree too. Whatever you do, don't go to school for library science..

DO DRUGS IN THE PEACECORP AND RAP ABOUT IT!

don't feel any pressure to get a real job. Just have fun. Do more drugs. Make music. Travel. Real jobs will always be there to come back to (unless something goes terribly wrong, in which case, we're all in trouble) So just go out there and do everything you want to do and have as much fun as possible.

CONGRATULATIONS THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER!

Excellent advice, but I was actually thinking of eventually going back to school for library science (ha HA).  Why are you against it?

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

emma

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »

See - THAT'S thinkin' - what did/are YOU majoring in Emma, other than Life, which you obviously aced?

Awww TL, that's sweet of you to say. I am also going to put it on a t-shirt: I FAILED MATH BUT I ACED LIFE. Then I will have a hard time wearing that t-shirt out in public.
Once I get there (I have something like ten days left until the end of grade 11!) I will be doing either creative writing or english lit with a philosophy minor. So i can talk all fancy at parties full of other unemployed people.

Also, No Underbites: I know nothing about library science except for the fact that it involves libraries and is therefore amazing and you should do it. Spotless logic, right? I know!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »
I believe George W. Bush has a list that looks exactly like yours labelled "Options for January 10th."

waka waka
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:32:52 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Excellent advice, but I was actually thinking of eventually going back to school for library science (ha HA).  Why are you against it?

it's good in some ways. i guess i just felt pressure to get some practical skills so i could find a stable sort of job while i explore my hobbies on the side - so i didnt have to depend on any of my hobbies a source of income. and so far it has worked fine in that sense.

and it could just be general frustration with my current job, but i do wonder if i needed to put that pressure on myself and go through the whole library education process. like if i could have been happier on the job doing something more creative in the day-to-day, had i been adventurous and explored that route. it's hard to say. i guess there's still time.

there are interesting components to library/archival work, and it's not at all stressful so that's a plus. and the environment is usually pretty laid back, and the people are generally nice. library school is pretty dry though - its basically elaborate theory on how to file things.

if you go this route, i can tell you everything i know about the Rutgers program and job hunting in the field.
oh and there's a librarians party in williamsburg at enids (i know, *groan*) friday- the 16th

http://www.myspace.com/thedeskset

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »
Congrats!

I believe George W. Bush has a list that looks exactly like yours labelled "Options for January 10th."

waka waka

That's a really good point though. I can't see him getting many speaking appearances in the near future. I suppose a lot of people would be interested in reading his memoirs, but I can't see him pulling a Nixon and getting any of his image back since he has neither respect or intelligence. At least he still has his family even though he ruined their name as well!