Author Topic: Grimcock's Movie Pick  (Read 2458 times)

Oogie

• Achilles bursitis
Grimcock's Movie Pick
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:38 AM »
I share the info because I'm an acolyte and an addict of...

Perhaps the greatest film ever made...

Chris Marker's

A Grin With a Cat,

this evening (and with free admission!) at the New Museum in NYC...

http://www.newmuseum.org/events/182

See you there!
Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny!
Ernst Haeckel

TL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Grimcock's Movie Pick
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:30:11 AM »
Am I being unnecessarily reactionary for being unwilling to set foot in the New Museum until they take this damned bit of Williamsburg-I-Love-the-80s-Aesthetic-creep down?

Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Oogie

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »
^^^^

As I said above...

it's FREE.
Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny!
Ernst Haeckel

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:30:35 PM »
I have to agree, TL. That's been there since the re-opening, and it annoys me no end. And it does not annoy me in a "Hey! It's controversial", Duchamp, Mapplethorpe, Serrano kind of way, but in a "This belongs on a hipster's t-shirt" kind of way.

Sorry to stray, Grimcock. 
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Pat K

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:55:52 PM »
I can't really weigh in on this debate as I don't live in NYC, but I will say that I just watched Marker's "Sans Soleil" last week and was completely transfixed. I've only seen that and the equally amazing "La Jetee", but now I'm hooked. If I was in the area, I'd already have my seat staked out for this.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:52:41 PM »
Am I being unnecessarily reactionary for being unwilling to set foot in the New Museum until they take this damned bit of Williamsburg-I-Love-the-80s-Aesthetic-creep down?

I have to agree, TL. That's been there since the re-opening, and it annoys me no end. And it does not annoy me in a "Hey! It's controversial", Duchamp, Mapplethorpe, Serrano kind of way, but in a "This belongs on a hipster's t-shirt" kind of way.

Sorry to stray, Grimcock. 

homophobes
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:11:09 PM »
The New Museum's architecture makes setting foot in there seem somehow painful.  I can't explain this phenomenon, but try it and you'll see.

TL

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:05:43 PM »
I can't really weigh in on this debate as I don't live in NYC, but I will say that I just watched Marker's "Sans Soleil" last week and was completely transfixed. I've only seen that and the equally amazing "La Jetee", but now I'm hooked. If I was in the area, I'd already have my seat staked out for this.

I do concur.  If I was home tonight, I'd cross the "Hell Yes" picket line to see some Chris Marker...

Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...