Author Topic: A food/cooking/eating thread  (Read 12880 times)

Sarah

A food/cooking/eating thread
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »
Tonight I'm making hoe cakes for the first time ever.  I will report on them tomorrow if I am so moved.  But in theory it seems to me that they'd be great with a little lobster mixed in to the batter.

What neat stuff have you cooked/eaten/etc. lately?

dania

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: A food/cooking/eating thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:54:43 PM »
Ooh!  I love this. 

A couple weeks ago I made spinach gnocci.  The first batch turned out all soggy, falling apart, and unappetizing, but they tasted good.  Second batch was wonderful.  I think it had to do with rolling them in as much of the dry mix as possible. 
Also, I made a cheese dressing called Rarebit recently.  It was soooooo good!  Holy shit.  It's served over toast or steamed broccoli, or even apples.  I'll post recipes if youse wants me to. 

Sarah

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »
Rarebit is delicious!  I was just reminded of it when I was flipping through the Moosewood cookbook recently (I know, I know) and knew I'd have to be making it soon--especially since I just bought a two-pound block of two-year-old raw milk extra-sharp cheddar.

I threw together a lasagna recently--very simple, just a traditional Bolognese sauce and cheese--and made my own noodles.  It had been so long since I'd used my machine I rolled them too thin, but it did make me resolve to make them more often.  I mean, making a small amount is a breeze (I've always tended to make a large quantity, which is way more of a chore), and they're so damn good.

It's unfortunate that my renewed interest in cooking coincides with a new inability to exercise.  I will be Sarah the Hutt, soon.  Oh well.

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:16:35 PM »
I started catering a few events for the cost of food as a way to practice stuff, just for family and friends recently. I did an event for a gift shop, and had to make cucumber sangwiches for the first time. I'm much more of a manly food maker type, so having to do a feminine, delicate sandwich was interesting.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »
I finally went on that fishing trip a couple weekends ago Sarah! My dad and I both caught our walleye limits so we're cooking them on Father's Day.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
I've been eating new kinds of fish recently.  I have a lot of bad memories of low-grade or incorrectly prepared fish that biased me against it (and I'm pretty prone to weird food revulsions).

I wasn't eating enough leafy greens until I realized that just dressing on some spinach or spring mix is a perfectly adequate salad; no need to chop stuff up and make something fancy.  I really haven't cooked since I went back to school full time.  It's horribly sexist but my ladyfriend had been taking care of all that.

But I've tried being a foodie and have just given up.  I have no food sophistication.  I just like simple things.  And pasta fagioli which is the ultimate winter food.  And making things in a rice cooker you're not supposed to, like oatmeal and Zatrain's mixes.

I'm going to try Quorn today.

emma

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:00:50 PM »
Today I made a perfect quiche. Usually there is one thing I mess up in a given quiche; today, I messed up nothing. It was a 10/10 quiche day for me. Also, I like to say "quiche."

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
The other night I skinned, seasoned and baked some chicken drumsticks. I pulled the meat and shredded it and mixed it with bbq sauce, a little mustard and a small caramelized onion. I sliced a mini baguette lengthwise and pulled the middle of the bread out and stuffed it with the chicken mixture. I sprinkled a little cheddar on top of each one and put it in the oven for a few minutes.

I served the open face sandwich/boat/sub thingies with some dill pickles on the side. It's not fancy but it tasted delicious.
from the land of pleasant living

Sarah

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:55:18 PM »
I finally went on that fishing trip a couple weekends ago Sarah! My dad and I both caught our walleye limits so we're cooking them on Father's Day.

Oh, lucky you!  Will you panko or batter?  Or perhaps both?  (I've reverted to crumbs myself--my own homemade panko, in fact--though I'll still batter in a pinch.)

Hoecake report:  Resounding failure.  I think my cornmeal was too old.  I ended up  with a pan of stir-fried cereal.  Now I've got to figure out a use for it.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »
Quorn:  disturbingly good.  Big Soy doesn't want you to hear that!

CSPI can eat my chain.

dania

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:41:43 AM »
Tonight I grilled some salmon, but I used the same recipe for when I bake it.  It was still pretty good, but it cooks so fast on the grill, that I think the flavors didn't have time to really soak in.  I always put the same stuff into the marinade: soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, ginger, fresh basil, and some rosemary. 

That reminds me, a few days ago I picked up a potted rosemary plant.  It had gotten quite bushy, and the scent permeated my shirt pretty good so I smelled the rosemary for a good hour or so afterwards.  It made me feel at ease or something, not really sure..

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 01:24:12 AM »

Oh, lucky you!  Will you panko or batter?  Or perhaps both?  (I've reverted to crumbs myself--my own homemade panko, in fact--though I'll still batter in a pinch.)

Hoecake report:  Resounding failure.  I think my cornmeal was too old.  I ended up  with a pan of stir-fried cereal.  Now I've got to figure out a use for it.

I don't know, I think my mom's going to make it. Probably Shore Lunch.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:10:08 PM »
Quorn:  disturbingly good.  Big Soy doesn't want you to hear that!

Yeah, it is surprising. They get the texture down pretty well with that stuff. It's the big vegetarian solution for everyone in the UK, and so when I lived there a couple of years ago, I had plenty of bad English food - but with Quorn! It quickly became just "disturbing".

As with everything, moderation is the key to success in Quorn enjoyment. Their breakfast links are as good/nasty as the real thing.

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
This sunday I will be making my pop beer butt chicken. It will be tasty. I'm debating if I should brine the chicken. I'm leaning towards yes. Maybe a citrus brine would be nice.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 01:20:11 PM »
my wife just made a tasty summer-type salad of chick peas, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and dill with a caesar romano dressing on it. i just got done whipping up a monster batch of potato salad myself (my secret is GREEN onions, low fat mayo, 5 hard boiled eggs, and a full bottle of tobasco sauce.) organic strawberries are in season now too, and the ones we picked up at the co-op we belong to were the juiciest ones i've ever had. if there's any available where you're at - get 'em.

and quorn, despite my dislike of anything too overly processed, just about rocks (in moderation, that is.) their "chik n' tenders" are unbelievable and make any stir fry go from zero to kickass in 2.5 seconds.