Author Topic: Inglorious Bastards  (Read 39757 times)

Raad_Man

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Inglorious Bastards
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
this movie is going to kick a million tons of ass.  i saw the original the other day, and it's got a scene where naked chicks fire machine guns and it makes their tits giggle.  there was other good stuff in the movie too.  it's a total winner.

you guys shouldn't be assholes to tarantino.  you can't expect every band or filmmaker or artist -- especially ones who make early masterpieces -- to always make shit that's as good as their best.  in the 15 years he's been making movies, tarantino's made

reservoir dogs - decent cool
pulp fiction - awesome
jackie brown - masterpiece
kill bill - decent cool
deathproof - some cool parts

even if you think three of his five suck total asshole, that still leaves two great films.  if any of you losers had managed to make two great films in your lives, i'd think you were pretty cool. 

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
you're a twerp.

Raad_Man

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:54 PM »
and i'm sure one day you'll finally leave the computer and prove to the world how much more talented you are than quentin tarantino. 

i'm sorry.  that sounded mean.  i take it back.  i just think people shit on tarantino all the time.  it's true that his last few movies haven't been as good as his best ones.  but can  you point to any directors who've managed to make nothing but masterpieces?  maybe it's just part of the creative process... some shit's great, some not so much.  maybe tarantino just needs a personal shake-up in his life to get him on a new creative track. 

anyways, the point is... he's made great shit.  he'll make great shit again.  don't be a pissy little baby about it.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »
can  you point to any directors who've managed to make nothing but masterpieces? 

I love QT too buddy! But Kill Bill was unwatchable.  And yes some directors don't slack off like he did.  Michael Bay has made nothing but great explosive movies. No moss under that guy.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 12:28:22 PM »
Tom has said a number of times that just about the stupidest argument is "Hey man, why don't you make a movie/write a book/record an album/etc."  He's right.  You don't need any special standing to say that stuff stinks.

Tarantino is the kind of guy that seemed fresh for a while, but now seems stale.  In a couple of years maybe it'll balance out.  Maybe one of his movies will still be seen as a "masterpiece" in the future, but I doubt it. 

He's just a guy making some movies.  Not great, not awful.

Raad_Man

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »
Tom has said a number of times that just about the stupidest argument is "Hey man, why don't you make a movie/write a book/record an album/etc."  He's right.  You don't need any special standing to say that stuff stinks.

well shit... i didn't realize that lord jesus h. tom had already spoken in the matter.  i officially withdraw my opinion.  tarantino is stooopid because some guy on the internet said so.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »

well shit... i didn't realize that lord jesus h. tom had already spoken in the matter.  i officially withdraw my opinion.  tarantino is stooopid because some guy on the internet said so.

Pat K

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
He's just a guy making some movies.  Not great, not awful.

True dat.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Spoony

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 07:39:52 PM »
Normally Quentin T would wait 20 years after someones burnout to cast them. This is a brave new start for the auteur.

Or maybe he knows something we don't. His movies are pop-culture junkyards, I just thought the old girl had a little more life in her than that.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 08:17:26 PM »
Anybody see Tarantino on Turner Classic Movies doing some 30minute interview with Elvis Mitchell? It was pretty good since he didn't talk just about how crappy b-movies influenced him (which is usually all I'll  hear about). He stuck to melodramas and talked a lot about Douglas Sirk stuff.

It's cool that he's knowledgeable but it makes one wish he could be a film buff in the Scorsese mode where he has lots of influences but doesn't just rip off old movies to make homages.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »
It's cool that he's knowledgeable but it makes one wish he could be a film buff in the Scorsese mode where he has lots of influences but doesn't just rip off old movies to make homages.

Yeah. When I watched Pulp Fiction the first time I thought, I can't wait for the next movie this guy makes. I didn't think, what style is this guy going to honor next? Even though I liked Kill Bill, he's a talented director and I wish he'd pave his own path instead of trying to make other people's direction his own. He's been wanting to make this one for a long time, maybe this is the movie that scratches his itch and he'll start focusing on making original movies.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 09:16:01 PM »

a million tons of ass. 

That's the working title of QT's next project after he poops out this WWII thing.

tits giggle

... and that's the next one on the docket ...
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 10:03:04 PM »
Most of the charm of the original is Meyer's unique visual style, and we all know Tarantino as a visual filmmaker ranks somewhere around Kevin Smith level.

I really hope you were kidding about this.  QT isn't my favorite by any means, but comparing him to Kevin Smith is really throwing him under the bus.  Before he started making exploitation movie tributes, he had a lot of style, I thought.

mokin

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 11:05:42 PM »
One could argue he was nothing but style.

Raad_Man

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »
One could argue he was nothing but style.

i agree with that to an extent.  but his best movie by far JACKIE BROWN had a lot of emotional substance too i thought.  that movie is damned heartbreaking.  he reinvented blaxploitation and turned it into epic movie making!

i think the story for inglorious bastards is awesome.  and i think it'll totally play to tarantino's strengths.  maybe the characters will be more personal for tarantino. 

he's an awesome talent.  so what if he makes some lackluster movies.  EVERY director does the same shit at some point in their career.  i don't give a shit as long as he's having fun and making things.  if he wants to make a ninja movie, well shit, who am i to tell the guy he can't?  he worked his ass off, accomplished tons and got to a place where hollywood assholes would give him 80 million bucks to make a ninja movie.  i'd rather them spend their money on that than some retarded piece of shit with tim allen.