Author Topic: Ian Svenonius encounter  (Read 6059 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Ian Svenonius encounter
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:09:27 AM »
I was just lucky enough to randomly encounter this nice man.  He even hammed up a few pictures for me.  I stalked him for a while before asking him if he was "Ian."

I feel kind of dirty posting about it, but I'm pretty close to a superfan.  I guess this place is more friends, than public.  Nation of Ulysses is one of my favorite all time bands, and I love the Make Up, too.  I don't know as much about his later music projects, but I have and enjoyed his book, "The Psychic Soviet," and I also frequently reread a hilarious MRR feature on him from the early 90s.  I also liked all the Soft Focus videos.

Maybe this kind of this is old hat for you 'uns who live in big cities, and I'm sure he's a local fixture, but a rube like myself was quite impressed.

Anyway.  TL was mentioned.  Rock stars have much, much more interesting lives than I do.

Laurie

Re: Ian Svenonius encounter
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:38:01 AM »
The Scene Creamers are pretty good, too.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:49:40 AM »
I am a Svenonius superfan as well.  I never met him formally, (well, once for 5 seconds at a show in Baltimore, but it doesn't really count) but we have friends in common.  Yesno, NOU is still one of my favorite bands as well, the Make Up were really important to me coming up.  Best live shows I've ever seen, and his current band, Weird War, is still great live.  Their last album was kinda meh, but still pretty funny, if not rocking.  Ian gets a lot of shit for being a phony intellectual but from what I understand he's just completely inhabiting his own vision of life.  Weird War's first album was done with Neil Michael Haggerty and it's fucking awesome:

Have you ever heard David Candy?  it's like the sonic forerunner to his Soft Focus persona.  It's not that great, but I still listen to it time to time.  It's him doing spoken word over British or French D.J.'s or something.

My friend Anna Oxygen and I want to teach a workshop at CalArts and have him come do a lecture.

Psychic Soviet is awesome.

dvdv

• Policemans heel
Met him at a reading for the Psychic Soviet last year
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:52:44 AM »
A nice guy in ways I didn't think humanly possible.  The fact that he and Ted Leo once were roommates boggles my mind.  That place must have been the happiest place on earth.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 01:56:15 AM »
(well, once for 5 seconds at a show in Baltimore, but it doesn't really count)

You should trap him on a train, like I did.

I'll have to dig into some of the more recent projects.  I think I just get intimidated, sometimes.  It's like when you first realize that Robert Pollard isn't just GBV but endless other projects as well.  (Just recently checked out that Phantom Tollbooth remake thingy-- great stuff!)

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:34:49 AM »
One of the smartest, funniest guys in rock who isn't an asshole, at all, not even a little bit.

The David Candy album is one of my favorite get-the-hell-out-of-my-apartment discs, particularly "Diary of a Genius."
"You said it. I didn't."

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »
One of the smartest, funniest guys in rock who isn't an asshole, at all, not even a little bit.

The David Candy album is one of my favorite get-the-hell-out-of-my-apartment discs, particularly "Diary of a Genius."
Ha!  That's such a great way to employ that album.

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »
Yesno: Post said Svenonius pics!

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Turf Out

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:42:36 AM »
Two.

I will probably delete these later.

that's great!

Turf Out

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »
Two.

I will probably delete these later.

that's great!

not that you're deleting them, i meant the second picture was great.

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:26:14 PM »
I'd heard from a couple different people that he was a jerk. All second to third-hand stories about someone I've never met. It's shitty that I've never met the guy and I'm walking around thinking he's a meaney.

You've worked against the nay-sayers, yesno... My opinion of him has been tipped to the positive.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »
I played in this band in the early 90's and we got to open up for the Makeup in London Ontario.
I don't think I have ever been so nervous in my entire life!
The Makeup folks were really nice great.
Also, I am not bragging!
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

Laurie

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 01:32:46 PM »
A friend of mine also had a really nice encounter with Ian. So there's another one in his favor.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »
im jealous.

as jealous as i am about not having a best show-related dream.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »
I have a few jerk stories *cough David Lowery cough* but maybe they're unfair.  You don't know what's going through people's heads and lives when particular things go down, such as jerkily not signing my poster at a signing table at a record shop because I dared ask if he would draw a little happy face.  Maybe he thought I meant, smiley face or nothing.  

But then, the amazing quality of Cracker certainly entitles anyone to be a jerk, or to seem like one.  No, wait.