Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1025645 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #1350 on: July 01, 2009, 06:26:03 AM »

This finally came in the mail after I ordered it like three weeks ago and holy shit is it good.

What is it?

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1351 on: July 01, 2009, 08:28:10 AM »
I listened to this 5 or 6 times about 5 or 6 weeks ago. As usual, I am old, and probably because of that I don't get it.

Loveless is pretty unapproachable if you're not already on board with My Bloody Valentine. (Except for When You Sleep, which is instantaneous (to me))

If you just HAVE TO get into My Bloody Valentine, their earlier record, Isn't Anything is a lot better.

BVS

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1352 on: July 01, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »
Django Reinhardt - Swing '42
-Brian

Dan B

« Reply #1353 on: July 01, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »

This finally came in the mail after I ordered it like three weeks ago and holy shit is it good.

What is it?

It's the debut LP by this new band from Chicago, the Smith Westerns out on Hozac Records. www.myspace.com/smithwesterns

Gargage-y, glam-y lo-fi teen-rock. So many stand-out hits.

methanolcereal

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1354 on: July 01, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »

Eugene McGuinness's self titled debut LP. Really good stuff, he reminds me of Jarvis Cocker. Not so much in terms of sound but in terms of tone and attitude.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1355 on: July 02, 2009, 12:48:33 AM »
This thing I made while desperately trying to teach myself sound editing so I can teach it tomorrow.  It came out pretty well!  I looped a 15-second bit of Steve Reich piano and put it underneath a recording of Anne Carson reading one of her poems, and then just played with the mix.  It actually took me longer to figure out that I didn't necessarily need to convert it to .mp3 than it did to actually make the thing.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1356 on: July 02, 2009, 01:30:27 AM »
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Keith Whitener

« Reply #1357 on: July 02, 2009, 01:34:57 AM »
Sleater-Kinney. Up till now I've only listened to Dig Me Out, which I played on repeat at least a dozen times before moving on to something else. Right now I'm making my way through my 3rd listen of The Woods. It's great!

methanolcereal

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1358 on: July 02, 2009, 06:25:57 PM »
Sleater-Kinney. Up till now I've only listened to Dig Me Out, which I played on repeat at least a dozen times before moving on to something else. Right now I'm making my way through my 3rd listen of The Woods. It's great!

Good call. The Woods might be my favorite of their albums. It has this real tight, together, feel to it. It sounds more like a complete package than their other ones. That and there's some blazing guitar work on it. Not trying to bad mouth their other records, bu The Woods is just that much better.

moonshake

« Reply #1359 on: July 02, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1360 on: July 02, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »

I am sure I will get a Disc Exchange gift certificate for my birthday. I will purchase 5 - 7 CDs that I will probably not hear before 2014.

methanolcereal

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1361 on: July 02, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »
I wanted to share this somewhere, but my iTunes was on shuffle and played "The Draft" by Bum Kon (off of their reissued Drunken Sex Sucks) followed by "My Kind of Soldier" by Guided by Voices.

I chuckled.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1362 on: July 03, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »
I wanted to share this somewhere, but my iTunes was on shuffle and played "The Draft" by Bum Kon (off of their reissued Drunken Sex Sucks) followed by "My Kind of Soldier" by Guided by Voices.

I chuckled.

There exits an intricate lattice of coincidence.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1363 on: July 03, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »

Kirk's Work-Rahsaan Roland Kirk with Brother Jack McDuff
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1364 on: July 03, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »
Metric, in concert. Better than I expected.