Author Topic: "The Zombies" (aka The Rod Argent Experience) at The Birchmere, Alexandria, VA  (Read 3308 times)

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
It has been a while since Tom went off on the Zombies, but I saw them tonight and I had to report.

1. Colin Blunstone does still have his voice. It was beautiful and thrilling.
2. Tons of people my age pumped their fists in the air to "Time of the Season."
3. Rod Argent doesn't know if he wants to be Jeff Bridge's Dude or Rick Wakeman post Tormato.
4. My "date" got lost on the way, but it was fine as they played a bunch of bluesy garbage that I scoped on the video monitor at the bar, hoping that they wouldn't play any actual Zombie songs until she arrived. They didn't.
5. Rod Argent name dropped how his guitarist played at Live Aid!  They performed "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted." Yes, again!
6. They played "This Will Be Our Year," which was my wedding song. Nice.

Conclusion: 90% of the audience goes to bed with Odyssey and Oracle under their pillows.  Next time, how about:

Brief Candles
Hung Up on a Dream

We all don't need to be won over, Colin.

Matt

• Space Champion!
Sounds like a good time.

Anything from One Year?
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Wow. I'm almost tempted to check out 'nem Zumbies. I looked up their tour information, and I see that they'll be in San Francisco a mere five days from now. They're playing at a ballroom venue that I've never heard of -- it appears to be  a place that's more typically used for weddings and corporate events.

Unfortunately, they're sharing the bill with the Jefferson FlyingWhatever, who've been a persistent plague upon the nation, and especially upon this region of the US of A. An outstanding example of a band that never went away long enough to be fondly remembered. 

Maybe I'll save my money for the Klaatu reunion.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
OK, enough skirting the issue - let's get to the question that's on EVERYBODY's mind:

Did they do Hold Your Head Up?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Anything from One Year?

Just that Denny Lane song, "Say You Don't Mind" in some weird shuffling meter.  As far as other solo Colin songs go, they played "I Don't Believe in Miracles" and a new song that Colin wrote that was actually pretty good; it had all the tight poppy hooks of his early work (just hope they don't eff it up in the studio.)  Other than pared down arrangements, like Not a Rose For Emily, they didn't switch up the instrumentation.  Every song showcased the Live Aid Guy and his overblown guitar solos.  It would have been cool if the Live Aid Guy pulled a Dave From Knoxville and plucked a classical guitar to Misty Roses, but it was not to be.

Yes.  And the crowd went wild.  Rod Argent spent about five minutes building up to it, saying that Argent was a natural extension of The Zombies; heck, he actually implied that Argent was the inevitable evolution of the Zombies.  After playing that song, he announced that they would be playing Indication they way it was originally recorded, "before the producer tuned out all the progressive stuff."  The progressive stuff being an agonizingly long Emersonesque organ extravaganza.  I love the way Argent plays on the original recordings, but, my god man, you've nothing left to prove: a little restraint please.

Colin looked very good for his age, and seemed to be heartily enjoying himself.  When Argent told his between song anecdotes I could almost anticipate what he was going to say based on Tom's description of the show he saw.

Lastly, the bass player looked to be about 80 years old. After every song, he pointed to Colin and Rod as if to say, "no, not me, them."  Don't worry, buddy.  (Although he did a nice job).  For those of you who like boys, the drummer had long salt-and-pepper hair and was cute.  When he took his bow, he exposed his mid-drift.  Rrrrow.

Addendum: if you are on a date and wander into a restaurant that only sells seafood -- but doesn't have a crusty crab logo, shipman's wheel or any nautical/maritime signage -- simply tell the waitron that your date is allergic.  Works like a charm.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
It has been a while since Tom went off on the Zombies, but I saw them tonight and I had to report.

1. Colin Blunstone does still have his voice. It was beautiful and thrilling.
2. Tons of people my age pumped their fists in the air to "Time of the Season."
3. Rod Argent doesn't know if he wants to be Jeff Bridge's Dude or Rick Wakeman post Tormato.
4. My "date" got lost on the way, but it was fine as they played a bunch of bluesy garbage that I scoped on the video monitor at the bar, hoping that they wouldn't play any actual Zombie songs until she arrived. They didn't.
5. Rod Argent name dropped how his guitarist played at Live Aid!  They performed "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted." Yes, again!
6. They played "This Will Be Our Year," which was my wedding song. Nice.

Conclusion: 90% of the audience goes to bed with Odyssey and Oracle under their pillows.  Next time, how about:

Brief Candles
Hung Up on a Dream

We all don't need to be won over, Colin.

That sounds like exactly the same show I saw in Buffalo two years ago, right down to all of the stage banter. Nem Zumbies have a toight show worked out, I'll give em that.

And yeah, Live Aid Dude can cool it with the solos already.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Superdragon DJ

• Plantar Fasciitis
OK, enough skirting the issue - let's get to the question that's on EVERYBODY's mind:

What a great song. Forgot all about that one. Great lyrics. Busting out itunes now....

furnstein

• Policemans heel
I saw them with Love in a masonic lodge in New Jersey a few years ago.  I think there Blunstone and Argent were the only original members, there were some young ringers in the band.  They did most of O&O, but also insisted on doing some terrible Argent songs and a bunch of material from their reunion album (with lyrics full of references to their candles and tapestries peaks). 

It was kind of depressing, so it put me off that album for a couple of years.  I've moved my attention to obsessing over "One Year."  Are any of the other Blunstone albums that incredible?