Author Topic: YAY MUPPETS  (Read 14009 times)

jbissell

• Space Champion!
Re: YAY MUPPETS
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 05:43:07 PM »

Although: The museum at which my girlfriend works as a docent will definitely be having a Muppets exhibit next year. Opening weekend happens to coincide with my birthday, so if you'll be in the Orlando area, look out for a 26 year old guy grinning like a fucking idiot. I've said it before and I'll say it again- The Muppet Movie, all time top 5.

You can't just throw that out without saying the name of the museum.

The Muppet Movie is one of those rare things from childhood that still holds up for me today. In fact, I probably enjoy it more now than I did when I was little.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 06:53:04 PM »

Although: The museum at which my girlfriend works as a docent will definitely be having a Muppets exhibit next year. Opening weekend happens to coincide with my birthday, so if you'll be in the Orlando area, look out for a 26 year old guy grinning like a fucking idiot. I've said it before and I'll say it again- The Muppet Movie, all time top 5.

You can't just throw that out without saying the name of the museum.

The Muppet Movie is one of those rare things from childhood that still holds up for me today. In fact, I probably enjoy it more now than I did when I was little.

http://www.sites.si.edu/exhibitions/exhibits/henson/main.htm

Here's a link about that. It's a Smithsonian Institution exhibit traveling across the country. It's not coming towards me until 2010, but I'll be there.

I watched the Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper, and Muppets Take Manhattan recently and they all hold up for me.  All three are classics!

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »
I was just about to post those tour dates.

Orlando, next Feb. Very yes.

It's in D.C. now: Go see it, jerks!
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »
Awesome, it opens the day before Halloween in Chicago...too bad it's 2 years from now.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »
Ooooooh I'll be in D.C. at the end of August!!! How perfect. Hooray!!

Oogie

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 09:17:15 PM »
Great Muppet Caper was on loop when I was a kid.

Recent Muppet Movies blow.

They need to be reinvigorated the same way Batman, James Bond, and other tired franchises have been.

NEW BLOOD!
Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny!
Ernst Haeckel

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 09:35:11 PM »

They need to be reinvigorated the same way Batman, James Bond, and other tired franchises have been.

Perhaps in a gritty, realistic hour long show. Like Sesame Street meets The Wire.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 09:36:57 PM »
I think I've said this before, but a newish muppet movie that I adore is The Muppet Christmas Carol. It was made soon after Henson's death, and it's just wonderful...everything from the music to Micheal Caine as Scrooge.

John Junk 2.0

Re: NAY MUPPETS
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 10:05:12 PM »
The Muppets make absolutely no sense today.  They would only make sense as a snarky parody of their former selves.  Their former selves were already pretty wise-assy for ostensible children's entertainment, but wisecracks from felt things are no longer as cool as wisecracks from rudimentarily animated and minimally designed cartoon characters.  I think the only viable Muppet venture would have to be a straight-to-DVD and $2-per-download internet releases or something.  I don't think the next generation would really be on board with the Muppets showing them how to have a good time.  I also think that the world really doesn't need more Muppetness.  Muppets are like that kid that was kinda brilliant and kinda annoying that you used to hang out with in high school a lot, and then when you got to college you have fond memories, but then you run into him at a diner and are like "Ew buoy, don't need to go back to that place."

Oogie

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 10:15:32 PM »

Perhaps in a gritty, realistic hour long show. Like Sesame Street meets The Wire.

The Street
Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny!
Ernst Haeckel

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 12:43:47 AM »
I agree.  I think the muppets should actually all be ultra-realistic puppet depictions of people with real-life, gritty urban problems.  The only element that should be kept from the original show is Snuffleupagus.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 01:13:20 AM »
I just remembered that this was pretty well covered by Chappelle in both his standup and in that sketch with Q-Tip.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 02:06:09 AM »
Can we please discuss the injustice of Elmo being a more popular, pseudo-replacement for the glory that was Grover?

from the land of pleasant living

mokin

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 02:38:09 AM »
[I've seen a lot of people giving Segel flack for bringing back the Muppets but I think it could be very good for Segal's wallet to cash in on nostalgia rather than attempting something original.

Whatever. The guy has already proven himself by writing the screenplay for Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's not like he's a hack. I'm pretty sure he genuinely loves the muppets and wants to see them done right.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 05:12:41 AM »
[I've seen a lot of people giving Segel flack for bringing back the Muppets but I think it could be very good for Segal's wallet to cash in on nostalgia rather than attempting something original.

Whatever. The guy has already proven himself by writing the screenplay for Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's not like he's a hack. I'm pretty sure he genuinely loves the muppets and wants to see them done right.

But who cares?  It's still the Muppets.