Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2779194 times)

Josh

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10245 on: August 14, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
It sounded exactly like Seth Green though and only a tiny bit like Nick Swardson.

We may be talking about different parts of the collage. The bit I'm thinking of mentions the movie "Grandma's Boy" which the terminally unfunny Nick Swardson co-produced, co-wrote, and acted in. Have a blessed day.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10246 on: August 14, 2013, 06:45:34 PM »
"SOME!"

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10247 on: August 14, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
I think Andy Kindler's take on how the other Grateful Dead members felt is on target.

I suspect AK's take--that the rest of the Dead were kind of embarrassed by Pigpen and wished he'd keep it zipped--is more what he wishes were true than it is the truth:

Tom Constanten said, “I think Jerry did some things to make Pigpen feel included, like featuring his songs and encouraging him. The perception I had was that Jerry was always encouraging him, and he felt that Pigpen’s thing should have a platform in the band’s context.” Bob Matthews talked about Pigpen’s long raps: “With Pigpen it started with Midnight Hour… The Grateful Dead gave him the opportunity to try it – what better vehicle could you get for stretching out? Pig wants to stretch out? Great. You’d find the rest of them right there giving him every opportunity and encouragement. He’d get encouragement from the band and from the audience…"

Garcia often talked about how difficult it was to get Pigpen onstage: “As early as when we were playing in the Zodiacs together, I discovered that Pigpen was not a guy who wanted to be a performer. I had to practically force him to perform."

...at the end of the 5/1/70 acoustic set after Uncle John’s, Weir asks the crowd, “You wanna hear Pigpen?” But Garcia interrupts: “He doesn’t wanna do anything.” More often than not, Pigpen made himself scarce. Weir would sometimes work the crowd up to give Pigpen a big fanfare, as in the 3/21/70 late show: “You guys wanna hear Pigpen? Well let him know about it! I don’t think he hears you, maybe you ought to shout a little louder! Here he is folks - Pigpen!”

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2011/04/pigpen-solo.html
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10248 on: August 14, 2013, 07:37:12 PM »
Does anyone know what the right wing radio show he sampled was?
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10249 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
There was talk in the FOT chat that Party Monster is probably what Seth Green was talking about.

There was also chatter in the FOT chat that the radio show was probably from WKXW 101.5 out of Trenton, NJ.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10250 on: August 15, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »
I'd add Bob Marley to the suck list, or at least Bob Marley post-original Wailers.  _Legend_ is the reason I thought I hated reggae, and still can't appreciate what's called "the good stuff" by Lee Perry, King Tubby, etc.

Miles

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10251 on: August 15, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »
I dont know if that was Tom 'doing a voice' during the Frankie Tear Drop Montage....
The call to another radio show host...
But the moment where I fell out of my chair during last Tuesday nights episode...

" well...a cockroack isn't really an animal."

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10252 on: August 15, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
Also god the caller to that right wing radio show was disturbing.

It sounded like Kid Jersey. I liked at the end when he corrected the host about cockroaches not being animals.

johnnynovato

« Reply #10253 on: August 15, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
I really enjoyed Tom coming to the defense of both Dave Pirner and Aerosmith. I would be pretty excited if the next show opened with the likes of "No More No More."

gravy boat

« Reply #10254 on: August 15, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »
Also god the caller to that right wing radio show was disturbing.

It sounded like Kid Jersey. I liked at the end when he corrected the host about cockroaches not being animals.

And funny enough cockroaches are animals (I think I learned in some trivia game that all insects are part of animal family). But that would be too much to ask from a guy who has to fumble around for the name of the Death Wish movie (I seriously doubt his conservative bona fides after that).

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10255 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »
It sounded exactly like Seth Green though and only a tiny bit like Nick Swardson.

We may be talking about different parts of the collage. The bit I'm thinking of mentions the movie "Grandma's Boy" which the terminally unfunny Nick Swardson co-produced, co-wrote, and acted in. Have a blessed day.

Yeah, we're talking about two different parts of the collage.  The part where someone is thanking people on behalf of everyone involved in Grandma's Boy is definitely Swardson, I was referring to the snippet where someone who sounds like Seth Green was discussing a film and Sundance and Boys Don't Cry.

Also, Party Monster sounds right, for some reason I was thinking maybe they tried to get Without A Paddle into Sundance and that was the joke and why it was included?  But Party Monster fits the bill.

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10256 on: August 15, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »
I think I learned in some trivia game that all insects are part of animal family

kingdom
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

Crusherkc

« Reply #10257 on: August 15, 2013, 02:07:37 PM »
Best: Jake Fogelnest as a guest.  I love the Scream 3 story where he heard Jake's laugh in dark screening room.  Gives me hope that today's annoying 16 year olds will turn out alright (that comes off sounding like Spike, oops, but there are some annoying teens 'kay?).  Would love to hear Tom on his show. 

Worst: can't remember. I think the Aerosmith Sucks guy would have a better point if he limited it to Steven Tyler.  I can easily imagine the band still putting out great 70s rock with a different guy.  Being from Boston kinda made me sick of "The Bad Boys from Boston (and New York and New Hampshire)".  But from "Get Your Wings" to "Night in the Ruts" they were one of the finest American hard rock bands which no Armageddon soundtrack or Alicia Silverstone video can deny.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10258 on: August 15, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10259 on: August 15, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »
I was torn on the Aerosmith sucks thing. Yes, their 70s stuff is great, but anything they did from around 'Pump' on falls in the suck bin. I only partially got how much 'Love in an Elevator' sucked at the time, but since then I've come to appreciate new layers and nuances to what an unholy pile of steaming crapola that recording is. I can imagine a documentary featuring Joe Perry and Steven Tyler at a soundboard bringing up things buried deep in the mix and explaining the inspiration for these joy and life nullifying touches. I don't wish any of them ill but that is some allergic-reaction inducing music as far as I'm concerned.

In the positive category I loved the addition of Andy Kindler's Pigpen to the Frankie Teardrop collage.