Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2791998 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #3720 on: February 14, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
Jimmie Rodgers wasn't a cowboy. He worked on the railroad. He was a brakeman, the singing brakeman. And there wasn't anything "silly" or "cheesy" about his music. He was one of the inventors of country music. Your ignorance is showing, son, back to the books.

He wrote some of the most moving, genuinely creepy songs ever ("Frankie and Johnny" and "TB Blues" being two examples).  

He didn't write Frankie and Johnny
that's an old American traditional about love and firearms (the way all our music should be).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_and_Johnny_%28song%29

I stand absolutely corrected.  Sorry about that!  I'm most familiar (over 256 renditions?  Wow!) with his.  He did write "Waiting For a Train," which is great as well.  He was a badass dude. 

The Merle Haggard version of "Waiting for a Train" (from his album of Jimmie Rogers covers) is tear-inducing stuff.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3721 on: February 14, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »
There has been some arguing on the past couple of pages of this thread but can we all agree that Tom's Cranberries renditions were smilarious or a real word that means funny?
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Dan in Chicago

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3722 on: February 14, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »
There has been some arguing on the past couple of pages of this thread but can we all agree that Tom's Cranberries renditions were smilarious or a real word that means funny?

Of course. They were spot on. Some might say too spot on. I don't but some might.
There is no good Art in here.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3723 on: February 14, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
There's a famous review of a Cranberries album that is the single most vicious review I have ever read.  It makes Jim DeRogatis' review of Ryan Adams look like an official North Korean guide to Kim Jong Il's golf game.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3724 on: February 14, 2010, 08:11:24 PM »

Of course. They were spot on. Some might say too spot on. I don't but some might.

Minor quibble: Tom sang "wonder" instead of "linger"!  I heard he re-enrolled in Rock School this weekend, so he should fill some gaps in his middle-1990s radio hits repertoire.  Danny Johns from Silverchair is a visiting professor this semester.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Reeleyes

« Reply #3725 on: February 14, 2010, 08:12:46 PM »
I had a roommate that literally started everyday of the summer we lived together by playing that album with "Linger" on it. I moved out.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3726 on: February 15, 2010, 02:43:48 AM »
the fake instrumental records played during TV shows is called library music
some of the old stuff is actually pretty cool
(in fact Tom briefly plays some on his earliest show in the archive)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoLDra97M2E

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3727 on: February 15, 2010, 10:13:46 AM »
Jimmie Rodgers wasn't a cowboy. He worked on the railroad. He was a brakeman, the singing brakeman. And there wasn't anything "silly" or "cheesy" about his music. He was one of the inventors of country music. Your ignorance is showing, son, back to the books.

He wrote some of the most moving, genuinely creepy songs ever ("Frankie and Johnny" and "TB Blues" being two examples).  

He didn't write Frankie and Johnny
that's an old American traditional about love and firearms (the way all our music should be).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_and_Johnny_%28song%29

I stand absolutely corrected.  Sorry about that!  I'm most familiar (over 256 renditions?  Wow!) with his.  He did write "Waiting For a Train," which is great as well.  He was a badass dude. 

The Merle Haggard version of "Waiting for a Train" (from his album of Jimmie Rogers covers) is tear-inducing stuff.

Maybe hard to believe, but Boz Scagg's version is primo too, in his pre-disco days.

gravy boat

« Reply #3728 on: February 16, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »
The 6-hour birthday show, finishing strong with some great stories and moments from the last hour or so--

-- Paycheck's Dylan-fight story

-- Be the Boy's story about his dad and the "deep cuts" Rolling Stones

-- DJ Terre T [paraphrasing]: Larry D Perv, you say you enjoy my show. Can you name me one artist I've played?

Larry:  Hole.

Tom:  Goodbye.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3729 on: February 16, 2010, 05:59:22 PM »
The 6-hour birthday show, finishing strong with some great stories and moments from the last hour or so--

-- Paycheck's Dylan-fight story

-- Be the Boy's story about his dad and the "deep cuts" Rolling Stones

-- DJ Terre T [paraphrasing]: Larry D Perv, you say you enjoy my show. Can you name me one artist I've played?

Larry:  Hole.

Tom:  Goodbye.

All of the ones gravy boat just mentioned were great, but I think my favorite moment, which happened near the beginning of the show, was the Dania heave-ho. It's the sort of stealth hang-up that I love so much, when a perfectly pleasant conversation turns on a dime and the caller gets an absolutely undeserved heave-ho. This one was so sudden and unexpected that even Tom laughed about it.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3730 on: February 17, 2010, 02:03:25 AM »
[quote author=masterofsparks link=topic=3693.msg146202#msg146202 date=1266361162
but I think my favorite moment, which happened near the beginning of the show, was the Dania heave-ho. It's the sort of stealth hang-up that I love so much, when a perfectly pleasant conversation turns on a dime and the caller gets an absolutely undeserved heave-ho. This one was so sudden and unexpected that even Tom laughed about it.
[/quote]

I like these too. They're super funny no matter what, but I think its kind of a deeper thing that gets exposed too... Sometimes Tom acknowledges it as such, sometimes he doesn't, and it is just The Way of Things.

Frankly, if you're ever afraid to call in, a call like this should make you less and not more afraid. The show is its own thing, and there's really nothing you can do to avoid the heave ho. This should free you from the constraints of being interesting.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Nick F

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3731 on: February 21, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »
I really liked John Hodgman's call! Consistently humourous(with a British/Canadian 'u') and also informative.  The 6 hours really did race by.

Riley

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3732 on: February 23, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »
Can we talk about what happened with Matt Walsh and the lifetime ban on this week's best show? I missed it live.

chuck from cedar rapids

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3733 on: February 23, 2010, 11:04:44 PM »
I loved the Tim & Eric call. Especially Eric using Tim's bugle consumption to describe the new direction of the show.

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3734 on: February 24, 2010, 10:44:43 AM »
I'm only about halfway through the show while I drive around plowing snow at work so I haven't heard Tim & Eric yet but those guys always deliver.

Does Tom get so angry about the swearing because it's perceived as a personal slight (I assume the family friendly nature of the show is stressed beforehand) or is it because things like that can get the station in trouble that it doesn't need?

On a more positive note this DVD sounds incredible. I always enjoy donating but this year especially it's going to be even more exciting. All I had to hear was Fredricks travelogue and I was in.

DO IT!!!