Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2774127 times)

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #420 on: October 15, 2008, 04:05:28 PM »
H-Man Facebook status updates make me smile, for real.   :D

<<<<<

« Reply #421 on: October 15, 2008, 06:43:09 PM »
I kinda think that band got robbed on Smash or Trash.  Is the show too big now for actual small-fry bands to have a fair shot?

Agreed.  I liked this band.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #422 on: October 15, 2008, 06:55:29 PM »
I kinda think that band got robbed on Smash or Trash.  Is the show too big now for actual small-fry bands to have a fair shot?

It does seem to have swung really far in the opposite direction. There was pretty crummy/unremarkable bands that got a smash in the original incarnation - pretty much having your music stick to a recordable CD meant you got a smash. Maybe we've taken it too far the other way?

I liked Matt from Virginia. His voice and manner originally made it seem like he was going to be a snooze but he snuck up on me with the funny. Got a genuine laugh of Tom too, which is always a ringing endorsement.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dania

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #423 on: October 16, 2008, 02:10:55 AM »
The best moment was when I thought for a whole hour that Tom was going to play my band on the air because he said we'd be the first. 
The worst part was when I (a) figured out that we weren't first and that I'd have to wait another few months or something like that, (b) listened in misery as a full outfit of complicated math rock dudes got trashed by wolves and then (c) thought about how much more respect people give complicated math rock bands than female-fronted electro pop bands and it made me feel depressed.  (run-on sentence? yes I know)
Now I see why he stopped doing smash or trash.  It's completely agonizing. 

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #424 on: October 16, 2008, 02:36:02 AM »
Dania -

You're up next.

Tom.

<<<<<

« Reply #425 on: October 16, 2008, 03:37:56 AM »
(c) thought about how much more respect people give complicated math rock bands than female-fronted electro pop bands and it made me feel depressed.  (run-on sentence? yes I know)

I'm no indication of any trend whatsoever, but I'm a fervent supporter of both.  I'd go as far as to say female-fronted electropop is the only form of pop music I'm really into, as a whole.

Don't feel too bad, I think there was a thread making fun of AIDS Wolf (who I like) not too long ago.  There's definitely a sizable contingent of FOT who prefer pop music on the whole.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #426 on: October 16, 2008, 03:48:28 AM »
(c) thought about how much more respect people give complicated math rock bands than female-fronted electro pop bands and it made me feel depressed.  (run-on sentence? yes I know)

I'm no indication of any trend whatsoever, but I'm a fervent supporter of both.  I'd go as far as to say female-fronted electropop is the only form of pop music I'm really into, as a whole.

Don't feel too bad, I think there was a thread making fun of AIDS Wolf (who I like) not too long ago.  There's definitely a sizable contingent of FOT who prefer pop music on the whole.

I'm almost 100% sure I'll give it a smash already, if I can get through. Never fret dear Dania, TBSOWFMU definitely favors the ladies (as well it should).

Cynnkitty

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #427 on: October 16, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
What do you expect..even Ringo Starr gets trashed!  :o
I saw Ringo and the Roundheads at Irving a couple years ago. And frankly it was awesome.
Ringo Starr should do whatever he wants. Good for him. Good for Ringo Starr.

Unfortunately I didn't think of that two weeks ago.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #428 on: October 16, 2008, 03:13:55 PM »
I'm liking the pace of the last two weeks; lots of quick hang-ups and heave-hos. Samir, you're on right now, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #429 on: October 16, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »
I kinda think that band got robbed on Smash or Trash.
Agreed.  I liked this band.

Thanks guys. Not to sound like too much of a dork about it, but simply talking to Tom for the first time and hearing our music on WFMU was pretty exciting by itself, regardless of the voting. Unfortunately we couldn't play my two favorite songs because of the toilet talk, and had to go with the other song ("Interesting Chinese Cigarette") that's a bit muddy and more repetitive than the others, resulting in  a couple of trashes.

listened in misery as a full outfit of complicated math rock dudes got trashed by wolves

I'm flattered since none of us play our instruments well enough to be math-rockers! On another note, I am looking forward to hearing your female-fronted electro pop.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #430 on: October 16, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
OK, what was that Karen/Mission of Burma/Volcano Suns call about?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #431 on: October 16, 2008, 04:07:29 PM »
Smash or trash ohss

Mr. Science

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #432 on: October 16, 2008, 04:09:43 PM »
OK, what was that Karen/Mission of Burma/Volcano Suns call about?

Andy Cohen is very funny ?

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #433 on: October 16, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »
There's not enough hours in the day to deal with crypticism. That was Andy Cohen?

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #434 on: October 16, 2008, 04:53:44 PM »
I'm flattered since none of us play our instruments well enough to be math-rockers! On another note, I am looking forward to hearing your female-fronted electro pop.

I like it, it reminds me of The Planet The.