Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2774217 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #435 on: October 16, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »
OK, what was that Karen/Mission of Burma/Volcano Suns call about?

That call was about one of the Volcano Suns thinking they're capable of being funny. It is also the reason why you will not hear anything from the Volcano Suns reissues or hear me mention them ever again.

A hero ain't nothing but a sandwich.

Tom.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #436 on: October 16, 2008, 05:28:49 PM »
Thanks Tom. I guess the reunion is off now.  :o
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #437 on: October 16, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »

That call was about one of the Volcano Suns thinking they're capable of being funny. It is also the reason why you will not hear anything from the Volcano Suns reissues or hear me mention them ever again.

A hero ain't nothing but a sandwich.

Tom.

Oof. It always stinks when your heroes get caught acting deplorably. I've always tried to keep the perspective that people who make great art aren't necessarily great people. (Not to say that they necessarily AREN'T great people, either).

"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #438 on: October 16, 2008, 05:51:58 PM »
I thought something was up when the mic went temporarily dead.

Anyway, Tuesday's show was a real winner, the last two weeks have been crammed from beginning to end. Great calls, great tales, great segments - and PFT to come next week. I think the show has found another gear.

Spoony

« Reply #439 on: October 16, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »

That call was about one of the Volcano Suns thinking they're capable of being funny.

Tom.

I've always tried to keep the perspective that people who make great art aren't necessarily great people.

Yeah, this speaks more to the Boston sense of humor.

C

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #440 on: October 16, 2008, 11:19:48 PM »
Those who love the Volcano Suns should not be worried. I will play ANYTHING from the Michener-Waleik period or the Weston-Kleiler era. Nothing from in between them though.

Blame the dummy who thought he was doing the world a favor by having his girlfriend pretend to be HIV-positive and have Downs Syndrome, then called me a 'sucker' afterwards for not being a mean piece of shit to a caller who clearly had issues.

Tom.

Poughkeepsie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #441 on: October 16, 2008, 11:37:11 PM »
The Papa Roach/Basketball story was glorious.

This has not received enough praise. Something about this had me biting my tongue and sweating to fight back the laughter at the office.

The idea of being the only member of the press at this function that probably netted the company a loss of a hundred thousand dollars and credibility, coupled with some Harlem globetrotters and Tom taking some free throws makes for the perfect story.

"Jim Beam Dude!"

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #442 on: October 17, 2008, 01:14:09 AM »
Blame the dummy who thought he was doing the world a favor by having his girlfriend pretend to be HIV-positive and have Downs Syndrome, then called me a 'sucker' afterwards for not being a mean piece of shit to a caller who clearly had issues.

Holy Cow. 

JamesU

• Policemans heel
« Reply #443 on: October 17, 2008, 03:38:43 AM »

I was wondering what was happening with that call all day at work. I thought it wreaked of a prank but who in the best show's audience would be THAT insensitive? The way it was handled is just another reason why Tom hosts the most civilized talk show on WFMU.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #444 on: October 17, 2008, 08:28:31 AM »

I was wondering what was happening with that call all day at work. I thought it wreaked of a prank but who in the best show's audience would be THAT insensitive? The way it was handled is just another reason why Tom hosts the most civilized talk show on WFMU.

I enjoy it when Tom occasionally does the pre-emptive 'heave ho'  - 'that caller just felt wrong.'

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #445 on: October 17, 2008, 08:54:06 AM »
It felt like he knew it was a prank but couldn't call it out in case it wasn't. Well handled, now we move on.

Since I came back to the show (took some time off earlier in the year for exams and work) they've all been in the W column.

Pat K

« Reply #446 on: October 17, 2008, 05:23:07 PM »

Holy Cow. 

Annette Hanshaw is the best.

That is all.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Mike

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #447 on: October 18, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »
For me, the best moment was hearing Tom say that Walt 'Clyde' Frazier was a gentleman.  Some of my favorite memories are of watching Knicks games on MSG with a friend and both of us always being blown away at Clyde's inventive use of words, his effortless rhymes, and his rock solid sartorial sense.  Add to that his storied pro career and his work promoting literacy and you get pure class.     

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #448 on: October 18, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »
Those who love the Volcano Suns should not be worried. I will play ANYTHING from the Michener-Waleik period or the Weston-Kleiler era. Nothing from in between them though.

Tom.

you handled that call like a gentleman. shame on them...

you're a class act all the way, scharpling.

Jimmy

• Policemans heel
« Reply #449 on: October 18, 2008, 04:37:31 PM »
"Attention Ringo Starr fans...send your Ringo Starr pictures to Paul F. Tompkins."