Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778209 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #4725 on: August 11, 2010, 05:18:43 PM »
Auntie Christina's calls are always a high point. There is no disputing this fact, unless you're that guy who asked for the ticket to "Dinner for Douches."
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4726 on: August 11, 2010, 06:07:07 PM »
Or take it to c-town. Christ.

Those kids will maul it proper and give it a burial.

I want a C-Town for me, someday.

That's my goal!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4727 on: August 11, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »
Once again, 90% of my laughs were during Milo's call. The little guy brings out the best in everyone.

MarcInLiverpool

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4728 on: August 11, 2010, 07:15:07 PM »
I was on my iPad today so tried downloading the Podcast from iTunes, mid afternoon UK time and the latest   still hadn't shown up. I could play it in Safari and be in different tabs but it was just streaming the mp3 off wfmu.org with no controls to skip the intro or pause it.

On the main computer the usual routine is to just use the flash popup for convenience over iTunes. That's my experience and may explain the low subscriber numbers.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4729 on: August 11, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
The only thing that iTunes measures is new subscribers per week, not overall subscribers. Apple has no way of seeing how many people download podcasts per week, since all it does is provide links. WFMU is the only place that knows how popular the Best Show podcast is.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4730 on: August 11, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
Auntie Christina's calls are always a high point. There is no disputing this fact, unless you're that guy who asked for the ticket to "Dinner for Douches."

Aw, youse guys are making me squirm from all this praise! It's very much appreciated and now I feel like a pretty princess.

Geneva, this is for you and me:

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4731 on: August 11, 2010, 10:12:56 PM »
My favorite part of last night's show was knowing that Buzz likes Night People as much as I do.
Doing it Mentos style.

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4732 on: August 11, 2010, 10:17:21 PM »
FWIW, I never got the Bill Hicks worship either, so to hear Tom say "not that good" was minor redemption. I understand why he's important and why he's popular, but to me, it's more like brilliantly phrased political spoken word, and not as much comedy. In fairness, I've heard clips friends have sent me, and I haven't listened to an entire album.  Is there a Bill Hicks album that, for lack of a better term, is the least political?  For the time being, I file him next to Penn Jillette: has amazing moments, always loud, often aggravating.

Worst moment was the South Carolina guy. After a while, it seemed clear he was doing that on a dare from his friends, and he was so boring and bad at it. I was wondering why Tom was getting so upset instead of laughing it off, zinging the guy to oblivion, then POW with the .45 GOMP.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4733 on: August 11, 2010, 10:42:47 PM »
FWIW, I never got the Bill Hicks worship either, so to hear Tom say "not that good" was minor redemption. I understand why he's important and why he's popular, but to me, it's more like brilliantly phrased political spoken word, and not as much comedy. In fairness, I've heard clips friends have sent me, and I haven't listened to an entire album.  Is there a Bill Hicks album that, for lack of a better term, is the least political?  For the time being, I file him next to Penn Jillette: has amazing moments, always loud, often aggravating.

If you don't like the political stuff, you're not going to like Bill Hicks. There are albums less reliant on political stuff than others, but it's pretty prevelent on all of them.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4734 on: August 11, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »
The only thing that iTunes measures is new subscribers per week, not overall subscribers. Apple has no way of seeing how many people download podcasts per week, since all it does is provide links. WFMU is the only place that knows how popular the Best Show podcast is.

Really?

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4735 on: August 12, 2010, 01:09:17 AM »

Aw, youse guys are making me squirm from all this praise! It's very much appreciated and now I feel like a pretty princess.

Geneva, this is for you and me:

Aww.. thanks Christina! I love it! Definitely made me smile!  And I still think it's funny that I was declared worst call even after the South Carolina guy. Ha!
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4736 on: August 12, 2010, 09:24:18 AM »

Really?

Yes.  All that iTunes does is provide a front end that allows people to discover new podcasts. It doesn't host any files or provide the XML feed, so how could Apple possibly know how many people are subscribed to a podcast?

iTunes is aware of every time that someone hits "subscribe," that's it.  I suppose they could aggregate that, but they'd have no way of knowing when you unsubscribe.

This is why I hope it's faux angst when I hear people complaining about their iTunes rankings, because it's meaningless.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4737 on: August 12, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »

BTW, Auntie Christina, Gawker has a good article about the Pop-Tart Cafe in Times Square...well, not so much an article as a collection of terrible reviews:

I did see that post, and I also found an article from the NYT on the "restaurant" opening that made me weep for journalism. Here are the first two paragraphs, but you can read the whole thing yourself if it moves you:

As a breakfast food, these pastries have neither the nutritional cachet of cereal nor the tuck-in-a-pocket ease of a breakfast bar. As a snack, they’re not quite sweet like a cookie, nor savory like a cracker. In a world on the go, Pop-Tarts can require a toaster. Even the brand name has been hijacked by gossip columnists to mock Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson.

Now the Pop-Tarts brand is demanding some attention for itself, and it is doing so with a store on one of the world’s most attention-grabbing stages, Times Square.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/business/09poptart.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=pop-tart&st=cse

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4738 on: August 12, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »
The South Carolina guy was the worst. I wanted to punch him so bad.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4739 on: August 12, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
The South Carolina guy was the worst. I wanted to punch him so bad.

I am working on a remix of his call, Mart.

Wait for karma.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."