Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778262 times)

Jeff in Seattle

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #5355 on: December 15, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I have friends who loathe John Roderick's band and we've been known to engage in plenty of s-hit talk about him, but I have a deep, dark secret.

I secretly like the Long Winters. Further, I think Mr. Roderick is hilarious and smart.

Best line of the night and a new addition to the lexicon: "What's up my Loko Bro"?

Thanks Hodgeman!

Yannick

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5356 on: December 15, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »
But do you think Tom was saying that AD is bad or that it isn't as legendary as some people make it out to be?  If the latter, I sort of agree with him.  It's a really funny show, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as the first five seasons of The Simpsons or say it was as daring as Mr. Show was.

I think AD is wonderful and possibly as legendary as some people make it out to be (quite an influence on a lot of sitcoms that followed) that being said I feel that what it did has already been digested and took on board by many other shows (some not as well, others just as well) in terms of pacing, shooting styles and etc. 

But when that happened, it made the original maybe a less special? Also, it being hyped doesnt help--but its certainly very good.

In non-AD opinions: Holy crap what a show last night.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5357 on: December 15, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
CLASSIC EPISODE.
Hodgeman pretending to be on Antiques roadshow was so great.

I felt a little worried for Tom when he left the room.  It's weird to have a Best Show where Tom's not in control.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5358 on: December 15, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »
I like AD all fine and good, but I wouldn't recommend watching a bunch of episodes in a row. You start to really just hate everyone really quickly.

MarkPomPlains

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5359 on: December 15, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
I got Post-Avatar depression after that episode was over.

Kim Kelly

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5360 on: December 15, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »
A couple of my favorite moments:

- The way 80s Rick said that sad "Hello?" at the end of his sentence.

THIS.

YES.
Too soon?

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5361 on: December 15, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
 I have to say that it was a joy to listen to John Hodgman eloquently describe the horrible Four Loko tastes.  High and low culture collide for a great moment in radio.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5362 on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »
It's scary to think of what I might give to see video footage of last night's show.

Hatch

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5363 on: December 15, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »
It's scary to think of what I might give to see video footage of last night's show.

I can personally guarantee that not a minute of last night's show was videotaped, and even if it had been I suspect Tom would have personally destroyed the tape at the end of the night.

betheboy

« Reply #5364 on: December 15, 2010, 06:52:59 PM »
Best Part: EVERYTHING
Worst Part: NOTHING.

incredible show tonight.

Agreed Stephen. Everyone needs to listen to this episode because this will never happen again. Thank you to everyone involved in the mirth, music and mayhem, I hope you have all slept it off.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #5365 on: December 15, 2010, 07:07:18 PM »
Some memorable moments:

"So, Sascrotch, what sweet flavor were you rockin' there, Loko bro?"-Hodgman

"I hate that hat. Therese, I like that hat so much that I hate it."-Tom

"This will end now in fisticuffs. You  impune the honor of the paper lion." - Hodgman

* Hodgman 180-degree turn into an NPR show talking about Phusion Projects, the makers of FourLoko.

When I listened to this online, I was horrified to hear a THUD and Mike say "Tom's down!" during the conversation with Mr. Hodgman about Phusion Products. For some reason, when I was on the phone, I couldn't hear any of that.

I think John Hodgman is a definite candidate for a Life Time Achievement Award the way he lashed himself to the wheel and kept the SS Best Show steady while her Captain was down.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5366 on: December 15, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »
he got sent to the electronic chair
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Kiwi_Herman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5367 on: December 15, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »
Usually,the outside calls are craziest part of the show. But last night the Loko was coming from inside the studio.

My favourite part was just all the sudden GOMPs and hangups.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #5368 on: December 15, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »
I think John Hodgman is a definite candidate for a Life Time Achievement Award the way he lashed himself to the wheel and kept the SS Best Show steady while her Captain was down.

My wife and I have been talking about that a bunch since the show ended. He really did keep it alive.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5369 on: December 15, 2010, 09:12:01 PM »
Of course I loved the "creepy luggage" comment, but I also loved when Hodgman said to Mike "don't be near me". Also, I love the pictures that were posted of Mike "dancing". It's looks like he's rappin' at Hodgman in one of them.
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer