Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778795 times)

ioguie

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6465 on: May 31, 2011, 12:14:20 PM »
re: publicity -- something along the lines of "the only way for me to get more ink is to put tattoos all over my body."  with the lead-in being a person who got press from being tattooed.  i done guffawed.  set-up, double-meaning, completion: guffaw.

Brandon0476

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6466 on: May 31, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »
I loved the questions Tom was suggesting for Spike to ask John Wesley Shipp and Spike completely missing the intent: "Did you hear that noise outside?", "What was that movie you were watching? I could see the picture but couldn't hear anything.", "What was that you had for dinner? It looked good."

I also loved the little song Tom did in the intro.

vert

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6467 on: June 01, 2011, 02:46:12 AM »
a fantastic episode, but am I wrong in that "dont stop me now" was excluded?  threw me off man! that song gets me pumped

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6468 on: June 01, 2011, 09:20:37 AM »
I'll fess up: I rolled my eyes when I heard that Marc Maron was going to be the guest last night. I am not a fan of his. That's not to say that he's not a talented stand-up, since he is. And I like WTF just as much as everyone else. But I skip over his rants and just get to the interviews, although I think a lot of times he can be a bully on his own show.

I thought the stuff w/ Seder wasn't really anything interesting. I was really dubious about the show after that part and was paying a lot more attention to the basketball game.

But by the end of the show, I actually came away with a greater appreciation for Marc Maron and also found him to be really likable. Tom really did an AWESOME job interviewing him for the entire show -- it was completely different than any other episode and it really reshaped Maron in my mind. The stuff with them talking about Groupon made me legitimately laugh out loud, since I have no idea what the hell it is either but my wife's pretty obsessed with it.

The stuff with Mike at the end was also great and surreal. I'm really itching to go to Massa's at some point.

It also really made me appreciate Tom even more than I currently do. Professionally, I'm a journalist and one thing I've learned is that the best interviews are just conversations that you record (with the interviewee just steering things in a certain direction.) There are a bunch of people who are superb at this: Neil Strauss, Terry Gross, Howard Stern, Jesse Thorne, etc. Tom showed last night that he has that same gift and, if he just did an interview show, it'd be terrific.

So, Tom, kudos -- you did a great job doing something completely different than usual.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6469 on: June 01, 2011, 11:12:10 AM »
It was a fantastic interview and conversation, but if we're all being honest, Tom still wouldn't make it onto the Top Three Interviewers list. Or Top Ten. He'd be a solid #11, though.

1. Marc Maron
2. Carson Daly (current version of Last Call, he's been freed up by the format change)
3. Jesse Thorpe (only when not being held back by co-hosts)
4. The Late Morton Downey, Jr.
5. Terri Gross
6. Byron Allen
7. Stuttering John Melendez (when he was a field reporter, before moving to conquer the world of announcing)
8. George Lopez (would easily be #1 if he chose to do it, but is equally committed to his duties as America's #1 party host at the moment)
9. John Salley
10. Danny Bonaduce (infomercial talk show format only; he got Master Tsai to really open up)
11. Tom Scharpling

Similarly, both Tom and Maron wouldn't make the Top Three comedians list (both behind Louis CK, Zach Galifianakis and Anderson Cooper at minimum).
This may be the year I will disappear.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6470 on: June 01, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
No "Mean" Gene Okerlund?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6471 on: June 01, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »
What about Leykis?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6472 on: June 01, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »
Don't forget Katie Couric, with all the trappin' and backstabbin' and questionin' and whatnot.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

dudep

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6473 on: June 01, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Amadeus seems like a good guy, but that was a heckuva GOMP.

"I like to think that it's like a secret club that you and I have."

*click*

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6474 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »
When I saw the New York Magazine article online and saw the illustration, I instinctively felt bad for Tom. If you look at his website though, he isn't very flattering with any of his illustrations. 
This is his take on Obama:

or Meryl Streep in Doubt (not her prettiest role, but this is still cruel)

Madonna

Clearly this guy is talented, but if I was an art director of a magazine, he wouldn't be my choice unless the point of the article was a hit piece.

Nate K

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6475 on: June 01, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
Sooooo many good ones.

Two small moments that I loved, though:

When Tom called Kevin Smith a "lunkhead." Perfect word.

And when he hung up on that kid from the sci-fi club without saying a word (first call of the night?). The kid suggested that he and Tom had their own secret club, and the transition from that kid's statement of "secret club" right into "'FMU you're on the air" was perfect.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6476 on: June 01, 2011, 05:46:15 PM »
I loved last night's show so so much. My two favorite things intertwined.  All they needed to do was add a live set by thee oh sees, a pint of ice cream, and a kitty and my head woulda exploded.

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6477 on: June 01, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
This was one of my favorite shows so far.  I felt like I should have been taking notes, but I didn't, so figuring out favorite moments will have to wait for a second listen.  But the Mike and Marc conversation at the end was wonderfully twisted (could you imagine a WTF w/ AP Mike?) and the vibe between Tom and Marc was just great the whole way through.
I'm not super familiar with Sam Seder's stuff, so I just felt lost by all the talk about being bigfooted.  I do wish he had worked that in at least ten or twenty more times though.

Also, always nice to hear from Jen Kirkman.
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

Kris K

« Reply #6478 on: June 01, 2011, 07:42:34 PM »
What about Leykis?

"You're no bathing beauty."

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6479 on: June 01, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »
Sad to hear Dave From Knoxville is not on the revised revised show opening theme.