Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778289 times)

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #1425 on: March 04, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
Was there much content in the show other than pledge related?  I was only able to tune in for a short time around when I pledged and all I heard was pledge talk, and the start of a conv with Philly Boy Roy.

not really. the marathon shows are almost strictly Tom asking for pledges and thanking people.  I don't remember last year even having any bits like the PBR stuff, but I could be wrong. 

Bryce called last year while under the influence of a "Reggae Rage."

http://www.recidivism.org/2008/03/positive_vibration.html
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

dotmap

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1426 on: March 04, 2009, 12:56:57 PM »
Last night Hatch had a hard time pronouncing Menands where I'm from and Tom's response was amazing. The initial "MENNEN..." was hilarious, and then he of course followed it with "by Mennen". I had the jingle stuck in my head so I had to look it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1lXTNVp4IY&eurl=http://www.bymennen.com/2007/12/my-favorite-jingle.html

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1427 on: March 04, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »
Also, I'm pretty sure he called a dude Honey.

I think I heard that too.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1428 on: March 04, 2009, 01:31:55 PM »
Was there much content in the show other than pledge related?  I was only able to tune in for a short time around when I pledged and all I heard was pledge talk, and the start of a conv with Philly Boy Roy.

not really. the marathon shows are almost strictly Tom asking for pledges and thanking people.  I don't remember last year even having any bits like the PBR stuff, but I could be wrong. 

But it's still worth it for some great gems he comes up with riffing on people's comments like the "I haaaaaaate that guy" Kevin Smith stuff last nite.  Also, I'm pretty sure he called a dude Honey.

Ted Leo has confirmed via Twitter that he will be making another in-studio appearance (along with some other as-yet-unnamed guests) during next week's show, so there's that to look forward to. Also, there's the suspense of whether Tom will be able to top this week's amazing pledge total. It seems pretty daunting, but I remember thinking the same thing after last year's $40,000 first week show and the second show topped it.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

erechoveraker

« Reply #1429 on: March 04, 2009, 02:18:18 PM »
Tom can do it. WE can do it. Huzzah and stuff.

Kid Pain

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1430 on: March 04, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
There was a "Thank You Samuel" said with end of show amped up clenched teeth that killed me.

hugman

« Reply #1431 on: March 04, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »
Last night Hatch had a hard time pronouncing Menands where I'm from and Tom's response was amazing. The initial "MENNEN..." was hilarious, and then he of course followed it with "by Mennen". I had the jingle stuck in my head so I had to look it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1lXTNVp4IY&eurl=http://www.bymennen.com/2007/12/my-favorite-jingle.html

Hatch read my pledge as Joel from Los Angeles, which was boring, but it ain't about me (I guess).

Speaking of the Mennen jingle, I've heard tell that Steven Wright once went to the composers of that jingle and had them compose one for him, the lyrics of which were "Steven Wright" in a short melodic staccato burst.  Kind of hard to convey with the written word.

ALSO, we have Tom singing whatever epic rocker he chose for this year at the end of next week's show.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1432 on: March 04, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »

Hatch read my pledge as Joel from Los Angeles, which was boring, but it ain't about me (I guess).

Speaking of the Mennen jingle, I've heard tell that Steven Wright once went to the composers of that jingle and had them compose one for him, the lyrics of which were "Steven Wright" in a short melodic staccato burst.  Kind of hard to convey with the written word.

ALSO, we have Tom singing whatever epic rocker he chose for this year at the end of next week's show.

Actually, he won't sing the song until the Marathon finale, which happens on Sunday night. Clarifying just so there are no dashed expectations.

Hatch actually read my comment along with my pledge. I don't think that happened last year, though I can't be sure.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

hugman

« Reply #1433 on: March 04, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
oh, thanks. there would have definitely been dashing.

bobby.

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1434 on: March 04, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »

Actually, he won't sing the song until the Marathon finale, which happens on Sunday night. Clarifying just so there are no dashed expectations.

Take A Chance was on the show last year though!
BEST SHOW: EXERCISE AND EATING WELL

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1435 on: March 05, 2009, 03:49:28 AM »
L.A. Woman was Tom's song last year.  Take a Chance on Me was bonus.

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1436 on: March 05, 2009, 05:20:54 AM »
Worst thing about last night's show:  it was only 3 hours, instead of ETERNAL.

Best part:  Giving.
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1437 on: March 05, 2009, 10:35:10 AM »

no worries, hugman- same thing happened to me.  i signed it, iAmBaronVonTito, but was read, "Leah from tempe, AZ"...a small defeat, but i felt good knowing i gave.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1438 on: March 05, 2009, 11:59:02 AM »
Best part of the Marathon show: Learning that "Kid Jersey" will be singing one of the tracks on the Ram tribute.

I've been a deadbeat, non-donating listener for a while now, but goshdarn it, Tom made it impossible not to donate this year. I'm signed up for the MirthMusicMayhem package, yessirree.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1439 on: March 05, 2009, 01:38:51 PM »

Take A Chance was on the show last year though!

And there was the "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" duet with Ted Leo the year before, which I think is the first full show I ever listened to.