Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2779497 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #1530 on: March 21, 2009, 11:15:28 AM »
I didn't care much for the toilet talk. But the Springsteen hardhat song was fantastic. Also, I felt bad for the guy that called up Tom about the Scharpling & Wurster CD's and Steely Dan.

I just hope the FOTs aren't being too mean to him, if he's on these boards now, asking about music.  It sounds like he's just had a really sheltered kind of life, musically.  Being from a cultural black hole, I know exactly how he feels. 

Hopefully he can get turned on to some good stuff, because if I have to see one more smuggled video of war footage set to crap like Godsmack and Linkin Park, I'm going to be so bummed.  Wait, whaaaaat?

Seriously though, I hope for the best for him, his company, and all our troops.

Hear hear, Steve... also, it's also not like he's on the wrong track.  The Beatles and Radiohead are actually pretty good starting points for a kid.  I might suggest checking out bands like TV on the Radio, The Arcade Fire, Blitzen Trapper and The National for starts...  and maybe checking out the Pixies and Sonic Youth catalogs. Sooner than you'll know it, he'll be name dropping obscure indie bands with the best of them.

And a great moment related to Steely Dan... I couldn't hear Mike clearly, but I believe he said 'Do It Again' was his theme song, causing Tom to groan in disgust.

If that kid is reading, I am going to encourage him to stand up for what he likes, and seek out solid recommendations from people who love music.

Also, I can't believe Mike's Steely Dan theme song isn't "Hey Nineteen." Maybe his listeners prefer em younger.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1531 on: March 21, 2009, 11:54:20 AM »
I would also add Spoon and The Hold Steady to sleepyjack's list.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

snoopywaves

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1532 on: March 24, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »
from the chat

"[Chris L] 12:30 am: Pastor Josh will turn out to be an elaborate Jamesing
[KickTheBobo] 12:30 am: i'm just waiting for him to yell "YOU GOT SAVED!" and hang up"

I spat Diet Coke at my computer screen, stereotype style. Good work guys.

dotmap

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1533 on: March 24, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »
Best moment of tonight's show was the end of the night Fredericks call. It was a lot more engaging than I thought it'd be. And the whole putting the Daily Show incident into perspective was great, because too many people are automatically on Jon Stewart's side because he's Jon Stewart.

Overall, really great show.

sonicdork

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1534 on: March 25, 2009, 09:10:05 AM »
Fantastic show last night! I really enjoyed Wurster ending the call with "bye bye" over and over. Classic.

-- Jason from Jersey City

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1535 on: March 25, 2009, 09:26:19 AM »
Ultimately, Tom made the right choice in advising Bonnie to choose the Show and homework over The Chat, but I couldn't help thinking that an opportunity was missed. The Best Show needs to implement a Homework Hotline so Tom can help out young listeners with their schoolwork while they and their families listen to the show together. It just makes sense!
This may be the year I will disappear.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1536 on: March 25, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »
Ultimately, Tom made the right choice in advising Bonnie to choose the Show and homework over The Chat, but I couldn't help thinking that an opportunity was missed. The Best Show needs to implement a Homework Hotline so Tom can help out young listeners with their schoolwork while they and their families listen to the show together. It just makes sense!

I will volunteer. I know cipherin'.

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #1537 on: March 25, 2009, 10:17:01 AM »

I was doing physics during the show, and while it certainly didn't help to listen, I'm not sure if I would have been able to do it even if I had not been listening.

Sara from Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1538 on: March 25, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
I thought last night's "Wait, whaaaaaat" was especially great. Also the references to "boofay," "moozarella" and "toity."

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #1539 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:59 PM »
I thought last night's "Wait, whaaaaaat" was especially great. Also the references to "boofay," "moozarella" and "toity."

I also liked the constant use of "handburger"

AndrewM

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1540 on: March 25, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
I have to say that Pastor John is a little frightening in an over-friendly kind of way. I'm amazed he took Spike's slot after 1 call. I also hope he turns out to be the new James or Kansas guy.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1541 on: March 25, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »
"N, please"

theericcarr

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1542 on: March 25, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »
'I'm out of the loop. Having a dog will do that to you.'

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1543 on: March 25, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »
Tom shutting down Spike's first call was hilarious.

Runner up: Tom imitating the sound of the cable snapping before falling into the zeppole machine.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1544 on: March 25, 2009, 05:33:52 PM »

I will volunteer. I know cipherin'.

A homework hotline would be so awesome. I would love to have Mike pick up and answer my questions about my research papers...Priceless!
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump