Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777939 times)

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #1665 on: April 19, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »
Michael Chiklis already played Curly

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214698/

Also the Crypt Keeper played Shemp.
Holy shit, Spiros played Moe.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1666 on: April 19, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »
Also found in the thread below this one in this very forum.

I think the gentleman who created the thing is entitled to claim the credit.

Hoboken Brian

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1667 on: April 20, 2009, 01:29:24 AM »
Michael Chiklis already played Curly

Ah but I didn't say that. I suggested he play Curly Joe DeRita, a completely different guy. You think I don't know they cast Curly already?

(Eh, he'll always be the Commish to me)
(Photo of shirtless Dick Cavett lounging on a horse goes here)

Wes

« Reply #1668 on: April 20, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
The Joe DeRita version of the Stooges always made me uncomfortable about the entire Stooges Project growing up, because he seemed so disinterested in being a Stooge. Joe Besser wasn't funny, but he was obviously trying to be funny. When they brought in Joe DeRita, it was like they were actively scouring for any fat, bald people to fill out the act and probably forced some poor, mean-spirited mug working at a gas station to come down to the set and get conked in the head with giant wrenches for 14 hours a day.

As it turns out, according to Curly Joe DeRita's Wikipedia Page,* Joe DeRita really didn't like the Stooges: "I don't think the Stooges were funny. I'm not putting you on, I'm telling the truth — they were physical, but they just didn't have any humor about them." DeRita was more of a Laurel & Hardy fan: "But when I see that pie or seltzer bottle, I know that it's not just lying around for no reason. It's going to be used for something." See? So much hostility. They were trying to force a Moe to be a Curly: "Curly-Joe also showed a bit more backbone, even occasionally talking back to Moe, calling him "buddy boy." Brian's right, Chiklis should be DeRita in the new Stooges movie, and he should pull a gun on Moe.

It also turns out that DeRita was the Filthy Stooge: "...in the 1950s he recorded a risque LP called "Burlesque Uncensored," and the Stooges were planning to do an R-Rated movie with him. Ew.

*This reminds me of a topic that came up in a post-show chat once that somebody besides me should start in the General Thread area - what would be the most embarrassing Wikipedia page to find yourself updating and/or maintaining?
This may be the year I will disappear.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1669 on: April 20, 2009, 06:41:40 PM »
The Joes are what we know as 'The Larrys who would be Curly'.

What happened to the original Curly?  He died or found Jesus or something?

The Joe DeRita version of the Stooges always made me uncomfortable about the entire Stooges Project growing up, because he seemed so disinterested in being a Stooge. Joe Besser wasn't funny, but he was obviously trying to be funny. When they brought in Joe DeRita, it was like they were actively scouring for any fat, bald people to fill out the act and probably forced some poor, mean-spirited mug working at a gas station to come down to the set and get conked in the head with giant wrenches for 14 hours a day.

As it turns out, according to Curly Joe DeRita's Wikipedia Page,* Joe DeRita really didn't like the Stooges: "I don't think the Stooges were funny. I'm not putting you on, I'm telling the truth — they were physical, but they just didn't have any humor about them." DeRita was more of a Laurel & Hardy fan: "But when I see that pie or seltzer bottle, I know that it's not just lying around for no reason. It's going to be used for something." See? So much hostility. They were trying to force a Moe to be a Curly: "Curly-Joe also showed a bit more backbone, even occasionally talking back to Moe, calling him "buddy boy." Brian's right, Chiklis should be DeRita in the new Stooges movie, and he should pull a gun on Moe.

It also turns out that DeRita was the Filthy Stooge: "...in the 1950s he recorded a risque LP called "Burlesque Uncensored," and the Stooges were planning to do an R-Rated movie with him. Ew.

*This reminds me of a topic that came up in a post-show chat once that somebody besides me should start in the General Thread area - what would be the most embarrassing Wikipedia page to find yourself updating and/or maintaining?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1670 on: April 20, 2009, 09:04:40 PM »
Drank self to death.

www.sadtrombone.com
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

AaronC

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1671 on: April 22, 2009, 07:31:29 AM »
Two things had me rolling last night:

PFT's Billy Bob Thorton impression

Hodgman's airplane encounter with the Verizon guy

SexyAnkles

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1672 on: April 22, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »
"One good minute could last me a whole year"
        - Superchunk

Julie

« Reply #1673 on: April 22, 2009, 08:58:38 AM »
Last night's show was great, especially when the captain brought up Clifford.
I have a long history of booing

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1674 on: April 22, 2009, 09:31:10 AM »
Drank self to death.

www.sadtrombone.com

He also had a history of heart problems and strokes...

My fav part of last night's show had to be John Hodgman turning the tables on Paul and Tom. I also liked Julie's call again :)
from the land of pleasant living

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1675 on: April 22, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »
Peanut butter sandwiches and coffee sound like a pretty good breakfast.

todd

« Reply #1676 on: April 22, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I could not be more excited about the Mike Show next week.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1677 on: April 22, 2009, 10:42:20 AM »
I enjoyed Paul's reaction to my call. His "Samir!" sounded very warm. He's alright, that comedienne.
JW was great - double props for the Aswad riff at the end.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #1678 on: April 22, 2009, 10:46:09 AM »
And I apologize to Samir for cutting him off before the proper conclusion to his call. It just gets so exciting when PFT is there, and I lose control of my sense of priorities.

Tom.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1679 on: April 22, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »
The reggae references were tops! And I also like the recurring misquoting of Clifford.

You were very patient with that young/new DJ, Tom.