Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778285 times)

SexyAnkles

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #1725 on: April 29, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
Martin Short after Spike's call:  "I'm sure he had a point.  It couldn't have been just about the title."   

Yeah, classic.
"One good minute could last me a whole year"
        - Superchunk

TheShamblers

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1726 on: April 29, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »
Last night's show was one of my favorites, ever.  The Wurster calls were great, but the high point for me was when Martin Short told Mike he could call him "Marty."  Low point: the two jerks who called early in the interview.  That said, I thought both halves of the interview dealt with them well, and Martin seemed like a genuinely nice guy.  I hope he calls in again!! 

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1727 on: April 29, 2009, 01:51:58 PM »
That first Wurster call was classic.

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1728 on: April 29, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
I go back and forth on his calls, but I was riveted by the twists and turns the Spike Saga took last night. After several weeks of not being able to call in do to some mysterious "surgical procedure", it was terrific that he was shut down immediately when he tried to call at the top of the show.

Later, when he called back during the Martin Short interview, you could hear an anxious tone to his voice. It sounded as though he had, perhaps, been firing himself up in the mirror before the call. It was as if he viewed this as his moment to storm in victoriously and win Tom over.  Of course, it did not go well.

Still later, Spike's call to breakdown the second call was revelatory, as he appeared to briefly drop character, opting to correctly say the names of celebrities and only halfheartedly offer some alternate, Spike'd names when Tom called him on it. It was strange to hear him let the Spike mask slip.*  It felt like we were on the cusp of a breakthrough to a new era in Spikedom, but he pulled back.

Finally, Vulgar Vinnie's debut on the Best Show-proper during the Mike Show, where he recreated the Short-Spike call, was a perfect way to top off everything.  I think one day, Spike Scholars** will look back on this show as key moments in examining Spike's life.

* The figurative mask that is the Spike persona, not the literal leather and zipper one, nor the one made from human flesh.
** FBI criminal profilers and Fangoria staff writers
This may be the year I will disappear.

Chad from Oregon

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1729 on: April 29, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
In a top notch show with many highs, if I had to choose one, it would be Tom managing to keep his cool while taking Spike's call to Mr. Short. The tension in the air was riveting and you could sense that Tom was mustering every ounce of willpower he could to keep his tongue bitten. I found it extra amusing that the call was taken - and eventually dismissed - without the name of the caller being brought up.

It's amusing now, but at the time, well, it was a little terrifying!
I've got 99 problems but a FOT ain't one.

AaronC

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1730 on: April 29, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »
"Lebron offers me all his stuff.  His houses, his cars, all his weed, his cassette collection."

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1731 on: April 29, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
I should have mentioned to Mr. Short that my 6-year-old niece is a big Clifford fan... she always makes a point of saying "Not the one with the dog, but the one with the man-little-boy."
from the land of pleasant living

David

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1732 on: April 29, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »
I think my favorite part of last night was the instant I realized that Jon Wurster wasn't Martin Short, and that Martin Short was Martin Short.

That, and calling into the Mike Show was a personal thrill for me. His insights into Jonestown were enlightening.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1733 on: April 29, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »
The idea of the Sweet & Sour Hour.

Beyond that, the Spike/Short call was obviously one of the top 10 moments in all of history, Best Show or not. My god!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1734 on: April 29, 2009, 07:50:30 PM »
I think my favorite part of last night was the instant I realized that Jon Wurster wasn't Martin Short, and that Martin Short was Martin Short.

That, and calling into the Mike Show was a personal thrill for me. His insights into Jonestown were enlightening.

Tom wouldn't do that with someone who's such a hero.  Be wary if he talks about a Tom Waits appearance. 
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Come on, Jason

« Reply #1735 on: April 29, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »
"I'm also laughing on the inside"

pete

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1736 on: April 29, 2009, 10:41:27 PM »
I listened to The Mike Show last night after a fight that I think is going to be the end of a six and a half year relationship.  I was literally crying and laughing at the same time. 

I feel like that's scarily appropriate.

Pidgeon

« Reply #1737 on: April 29, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »
I listened to The Mike Show last night after a fight that I think is going to be the end of a six and a half year relationship.  I was literally crying and laughing at the same time. 

I feel like that's scarily appropriate.

Did you drink until you passed out?

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1738 on: April 30, 2009, 09:55:40 AM »
Tom's disappointment when he found out Stefan the Dinosaur was not on display in a glass case at the Short mansion, but stuffed in a drawer under a sombrero.

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1739 on: April 30, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »
Worst part?  The persistent busy signal.  Maybe it's because my call was coming from so far away.
Who I don't have chocolate?