Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777896 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #1845 on: May 14, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »
When I was at Clemson for grad school, my favorite math professor was this guy who had a brain that could kill small animals who played the bumpkin thing for all it was worth.  He was a fat dude with overalls, long gray beard, buzzcut, over the top Southern accent.  I thought it was great that 99% of people he encountered probably thought he was a doofus because they didn't know any better.

But yeah, the dude from the Cynics can die in a fire.

listen, dave. i was born and raised in georgia, albeit atlanta, but my mom's from thomasville, ga and dad's from birmingham. i'm through and through, a southerner. i'm proud of that shit. i love the south. could you please stop with the self deprecating "simple southerner" bit? you're throwing us down the river.  i get it, the south is dumb and full of racists. very good. tom does it from time to time. fair enough. you initiate it every call. come on, dog. let it go. you're a smart dude, your shirts have sleeves. be proud to be from tennessee. you know it's proud of you. who's that bozo from the cynics that just rips on the south? don't feed that clown's fire. big ups, dave.

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1846 on: May 15, 2009, 12:06:54 AM »
Mr. Oswalt's Melvyn Bragg quip might be the funniest thing ever. 
Who I don't have chocolate?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1847 on: May 15, 2009, 12:31:05 AM »
And you, Steve, were my favorite student.

In my dreams

When I was at Clemson for grad school, my favorite math professor was this guy who had a brain that could kill small animals who played the bumpkin thing for all it was worth.  He was a fat dude with overalls, long gray beard, buzzcut, over the top Southern accent.  I thought it was great that 99% of people he encountered probably thought he was a doofus because they didn't know any better.

listen, dave. i was born and raised in georgia, albeit atlanta, but my mom's from thomasville, ga and dad's from birmingham. i'm through and through, a southerner. i'm proud of that shit. i love the south. could you please stop with the self deprecating "simple southerner" bit? you're throwing us down the river.  i get it, the south is dumb and full of racists. very good. tom does it from time to time. fair enough. you initiate it every call. come on, dog. let it go. you're a smart dude, your shirts have sleeves. be proud to be from tennessee. you know it's proud of you. who's that bozo from the cynics that just rips on the south? don't feed that clown's fire. big ups, dave.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1848 on: May 15, 2009, 01:34:35 AM »
Dear drennen_won,

As you may have been able to tell, your note set off something ugly in me, and I sincerely apologize for not waiting one day to respond, when I would have had a more level head.

I would say, in my own defense, that anyone who has heard me a couple of times should be able to recognize that my jabs at the South, and southerners in general, are so far over the top that they can't possibly reflect my own opinions about the region, which are complex.

Still.

For every stately southern gentlemen or belle I have ever met, and there have been a good number (check out the poetry or fiction of my pal, Pulitzer Prize winner Eddie Franciscohttp://www.edfrancisco.com/joomla/, for example, or the music of another old friend, Kate Campbellhttp://www.katecampbell.com/, who I have known since we were teens, although, punkers beware; she's folky) there are literally dozens of idiots I have seen publicly cursing their children at the Walmart, or blowing by me on the interstate with a back window sticker displaying Calvin pissing on the image of Jeff Gordon, or 250 pound women in the grocery store line in front of me wearing thongs that extended a full 2 inches farther above their ass-crack than did the Gwen Stefani "Wind It Up" sweatpants they were wearing. I have seen 6-year-olds outside of women's clinics, holding posters of mangled fetuses, screaming at passers-by about how pro-choicers will "fry in hell". I have heard one student, following the shooting at the local UU church, boldly proclaim that it "served those queers right". Or "raht", really. And then seen several students around him quickly nod their heads in agreement. When I pointed out my harsh disagreement with this assessment, 4 students filed a protest with my department head, complaining that I was trying to "spread liberal ideas in a math class". Thankfully, she blew it off.

I live in the same county with a state rep who shoved through a law in the Tennessee State Legislature that allowed drivers, accidentally running over animals on the road, to take the carcasses home and eat them. He's considered a strong candidate to be our next mayor, with aspirations to the governor's seat.

I live in a county where a crooked slumlord legislator with a 70% voter approval rating over a 2 day period, introduced separate legislation 1) requiring the state to issue death certificates to aborted fetuses, and 2) denying any health services to any "illegals", even those in the act of giving birth. Process servers have been trying to serve him with a summons about the vile state of his rental properties; they claim they can never find him.

So, while some individuals are outstanding, my overall sense of the goodness of these people is tenuous at best.

Even so, you didn't deserve my crack about your tobacky and your overalls. My guess is you neither dip nor clip.

You don't have to friend me or nothing, but I hope you'll accept my sincere apology, along with an attempt to buffer my negasouthativity (and you're probably doing me a favor, since Spike illustrates for us the unpleasantness that can occur when callers try to hang with one recurring theme too many times. Right, pets?)

dfk

You sound like a smart person. You call up and impress upon Tom how sophisticated some southerners are. Don't send him a letter; your challenges with capitalization will undermine your argument.

In the meantime, I will do what I do.

P.S. Starting a message with the word "listen" is so stereotypically redneck, I hope you didn't get your tobacky on your overalls while you were typing all of that up.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1849 on: May 15, 2009, 02:58:09 AM »
Excellent post, Dave. My mother was born and raised in Knoxville and most of her family still lives in Tennessee. I think that she feels the same way that you do about the South. Her politics are diametrically opposed to the politics of most Southerners and she doesn't speak too highly of the region, in general. She's proud of where she grew up, but at the same time I get the feeling that she doesn't care for Southern culture. As for me, I've been to Knoxville many times and I think it's a nice city. And I've encountered friendly people, for the most part. Furthermore, I believe that the stereotypes that many of us ascribe to Southerners are misguided and sometimes ignorant. However, the South seems to be a lot more parochial than other areas of the country. And it's hard for me to relate because I don't share most of the same beliefs.

Just my opinion.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Pete Velcro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1850 on: May 15, 2009, 08:50:10 AM »
The talk of Larry being in animated movies was hysterical.
+1

Can someone create Larry the Unicorn please?

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1851 on: May 15, 2009, 08:55:03 AM »
"He's in a band called Ed Gein's Car."
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1852 on: May 15, 2009, 09:10:07 AM »
"He's in a band called Ed Gein's Car."

That cracked me up, even before I googled and discovered that there was, in fact, a band named Ed Gein's Car. And they were from New Paltz, which was down the road from where I grew up (an hour down the road, but still...)
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1853 on: May 15, 2009, 11:12:35 AM »

I just made Michael Kay my friend on Facebook! Please join him (I'm using the name "Michael Lisk" on Facebook).
See God, Kai

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1854 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
Another vote for the Larry the Perv as an animated cartoon animal bit.

'Hi, I'm a unicorn.  How's it goin' theh?'

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1855 on: May 15, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »

I just made Michael Kay my friend on Facebook! Please join him (I'm using the name "Michael Lisk" on Facebook).

OK...he'll never know it's me...

JBE CEO

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1856 on: May 15, 2009, 11:12:54 PM »
While I wouldn't call it mystique, the discussion with Spike about soaps and talk shows was certainly enlightening.

Larry the Perv calls always crack me up.

Mike laughing loudly in the background during the Wurster bit and then having him address it was great (both Wurster bits were great keeping his hot streak going).
Friend of Jon

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1857 on: May 16, 2009, 05:10:44 AM »
While I wouldn't call it mystique, the discussion with Spike about soaps and talk shows was certainly enlightening.

Larry the Perv calls always crack me up.

Mike laughing loudly in the background during the Wurster bit and then having him address it was great (both Wurster bits were great keeping his hot streak going).

Trying to sort out which of Del's song lyrics belonged in which Aimee Mann/Til Tuesday songs was also fun.  I wonder if Wurster's Brain just looks like a shelf of music encyclopedias.
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1858 on: May 16, 2009, 05:47:28 AM »
I've been quiet on here recently and sitting out of the live shows and chats because I've been through the busiest period of my 26-and-a-fraction years. Now that the worst is over, I can sit in my room, drink a cold beer and proclaim that the last half-dozen shows or some represent the high point of my Best Show experiences. That promise about making 2008 a memory in the wake of 09's glory trail? It's happening.

"How do they see you when there's no light?"

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1859 on: May 16, 2009, 07:01:44 AM »
I've been quiet on here recently and sitting out of the live shows and chats because I've been through the busiest period of my 26-and-a-fraction years. Now that the worst is over, I can sit in my room, drink a cold beer and proclaim that the last half-dozen shows or some represent the high point of my Best Show experiences. That promise about making 2008 a memory in the wake of 09's glory trail? It's happening.

This reads like the beginning of an epic memoir :)
from the land of pleasant living