Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2774417 times)

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #2445 on: August 03, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »
In case it hasn't been said yet...

"You guys are up Jugalo creek... Without Faygo."

followed closely by the line...

"Mike, is the ape on the second floor with us?"
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2446 on: August 03, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »
In case it hasn't been said yet...

followed closely by the line...

"Mike, is the ape on the second floor with us?"

The whole Tale of the Juggalo Ape was very, very solid work.  I felt the bit was meandering a bit, and then WHAM, out comes the ape.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2447 on: August 03, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »
The shouted "Wait, What!!" early in the juggalo call and Wurster cracking up while trying to say "Hog Daddy's Fire Pit of Death" were fun.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2448 on: August 03, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »
The shouted "Wait, What!!" early in the juggalo call

That made me guffaw, too.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2449 on: August 03, 2009, 10:34:36 AM »
The shouted "Wait, What!!" early in the juggalo call and Wurster cracking up while trying to say "Hog Daddy's Fire Pit of Death" were fun.

It's sad, but I start giggling anytime I hear anybody cracking up in a bit. I'm the worst straight man ever.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

stephen

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2450 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:04 AM »

Show Hog Daddy some respect.  It's not a Fire Pit of Death, its a GIANT HELLFIRE of Death.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2451 on: August 04, 2009, 11:01:22 AM »

i have managed to get people at work to use this catch phrase.  it's been said in abundance since yesterday when the big cheese was let go. 

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2452 on: August 04, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »

"Some faygo went down the wrong pipe."
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2453 on: August 04, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »
I'd forgotten this little bit - I was listening to the show while running last night, and almost tripped and cracked my skull open at Tom's awesome Michael-Caine-in-Get-Carter impression:

"Which one of yew killed my bruh-va? Which one of you killed my bruh-va?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2454 on: August 04, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
I enjoyed the return of the Mike Show Theme.

Also the whole Juggalope thing. A pith helmet from Kaybee toys!

Geoff Johnston

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2455 on: August 04, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »
...and Wurster cracking up while trying to say "Hog Daddy's Fire Pit of Death" were fun.

Also, the "ARRRGH!"s while he cleared his throat.

Geoff Johnston

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2456 on: August 04, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »
"low-quality southern rap"

At least one of these terms is redundant

Stop it with the self-loathing, Dave-O.  At least on this topic.

I'm not a huge rap fan in general, so I was allowing for the possibility of there being some good southern rap, or at least some with a bit of production value. ICP's music sounds like it was done on a casio. I mainly just wanted to get across that I feel for the young fans of this group, emphasis on the word young.

I grew up a rap fan, I speak it as my native tongue. Let me tell you southern rap is the worst fucking shit ever. It has been the dominant stylistic mover in rap for the past 10 years. If you didn't like rap before, this is that but with 100 times more suck added to it all with a lilting provincial accent.

I agree T.E.   There was a time in the late 90's early 00's when I was worried that it would be overtaken by the midwest movement of Nelly and company, but it turns out my fears were much, much much worse.  With respect to Outkast, Devin the Dude, Scarface and maybe one or two others who have been doing it for years, I can not listen to anything else south of Washington D.C.  Unfortunately though where Hip Hop is right now, New York and the West Coast have mostly been slacking as well.

Oh and I forgot to add, in an associated story here is a recent article on the fall of southern rapper Mike Jones (the guy who used to give his cell phone number as a gimmick):

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-07-23/music/mike-jones-who/

Not to drag this out any further, but let me do my best to, as they say, represent.  I live in Dallas.  And yes, the Neanderthal "club anthem" snap-and-screw garbage does get a lot of press, unfortunately. 

But we do have a good group of hip hop crews, thoughtful MCs, and neo-soulsters (see: Verbal Seed, AwkQuarius, Playdough, Thesis, Bavu Blakes, Strange Fruit Project, N'dambi, and don't forget Erykah Badu). 

There's a local supergroup of sorts called the Cannabinoids who are about to play some slots on Mos Def's current tour.  They're a great live act, but they currently have an inaccurate internet presence.  In other words, the 7+ minutes intro/skit thing on their MySpace paqe should be ignored if you're trying to get an idea of their actual sound.

Anyway, the South has much to offer true hip hop, IMHO.  But for whatever reason it's the Play-n-Skillz who win the Grammies, and the "Stanky Legg" and "Ricky Bobby" dance tracks that get the radioplay, and thus the write-ups.  I could go all Chuck D on "Who controls the radio and the record labels?"  But I think I've taken up enough space on this one.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2457 on: August 04, 2009, 02:25:11 PM »
...and Wurster cracking up while trying to say "Hog Daddy's Fire Pit of Death" were fun.

i also liked the call intro when he was complaining about the Men At Work callers .

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2458 on: August 04, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »

i also liked the call intro when he was complaining about the Men At Work callers .

Now, see, to me that part was just Overkill.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2459 on: August 05, 2009, 08:00:28 AM »
"AJA is my go-to record when I'm intoxicated."
I'll probably go into the wee hours.