Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777725 times)

erechoveraker

Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #2895 on: September 30, 2009, 11:42:40 AM »
Newspaper comix talk with the highlight being John Hodgman's mention of the Comics Curmudgeon (www.joshreads.com)

and http://kickthebobo.com/weirdosexposed.jpg (someone please help me out, I am terrified to misquote who created this & I can't find it in the chat record, not sure if you can scroll back that far?)

Comics Curmudgeon is great, it makes me happy when I find out I ain't the only nerd what reads that site.

KtB btw, wow that has to be the cover. (we all know the book doesn't exist, but who needs Spike to make it? I say we band together and ghost write it for him!)

AlizaEss

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2896 on: September 30, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »
The guy who called in and asked the question about It was also a quality call. I think he called back in later to identify himself as a Sick Clique member, but I could be wrong there.

Wes: Oh god, such a good GOMP. ("Why did you do that, man? WHY??!!" "Wait.. what did I do?" "You...")

I think that guy might have been the very last call of the night too. "And even with all your harassing me, have a good night, man."

Next week's topic, "Guess who I'm trying to sound like?"

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2897 on: September 30, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »
"That bird was pretty good."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2898 on: September 30, 2009, 06:44:58 PM »
\(we all know the book doesn't exist, but who needs Spike to make it? I say we band together and ghost write it for him!)

I'll contribute a two page chapter.  Double spaced.

About Charlie Crist.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2899 on: September 30, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »
I can confirm that Weirdos Exposed very much exists.  I have read the first chapter, and it is surprisingly good.  It's actually much more of a Spike memoir (the stuff about his years of karate training is hilarious) with the "weirdos" serving as a narrative guide.  Prose is raw, but can be massaged into shape.  There's a couple of really funny Giuliani jokes.

SPIKE: PLEASE SEND ME CHAPTER 2 ASAP.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2900 on: September 30, 2009, 11:50:27 PM »
I can confirm that Weirdos Exposed very much exists.  I have read the first chapter, and it is surprisingly good.  It's actually much more of a Spike memoir (the stuff about his years of karate training is hilarious) with the "weirdos" serving as a narrative guide.  Prose is raw, but can be massaged into shape.  There's a couple of really funny Giuliani jokes.

SPIKE: PLEASE SEND ME CHAPTER 2 ASAP.

Omar = Gloria Molnar??
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

iforgotmymantra

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2901 on: October 01, 2009, 01:43:44 AM »
The Spike bit reminded me of Tom's colleague from CC who lied to get out of softball and by the end is just defeatedly saying "yes" to Tom's suggestions like "did you and McCain save some people"?

"Do you use an old fashioned typewriter Spike?"
"....yes"

kittykittymeowmixhead

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2902 on: October 01, 2009, 02:40:36 AM »
I thought the hyperventilating guy who introduced the guests was very cute. And the mental image of Spike locking his manuscript up in his 'work drawer' hehe.

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2903 on: October 01, 2009, 08:57:04 AM »
I thought the hyperventilating guy who introduced the guests was very cute. And the mental image of Spike locking his manuscript up in his 'work drawer' hehe.

That meltdown the guy had was fucking AWESOME. As he got more and more panicked... man, so great.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #2904 on: October 01, 2009, 10:45:37 AM »
That young man did a GREAT job with the act of an introduction being sprung on him last minute. I wish I thanked him more on the air. So I'll do it here.

Thanks, young man.

Tom.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2905 on: October 01, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »
He was great! I really felt for him when he lost his bearing for a couple of seconds, but he came back and did a great job introducing the guests.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2906 on: October 01, 2009, 11:53:01 AM »
It's hard to do the breath control/on-the-spot summarizing the kid did, he did alright.

Sometimes I even forget to breathe talking to people on the telephone not on the radio.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2907 on: October 01, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »
Lotsa laffs on this show but for some reason the one that keeps coming back to me was the guy asking whether Tom has started planning his Halloween treats yet.

"Yeah, the people in my house, we've held a couple of meetings, some informal brainstorming sessions."

I can't help it, that just cracks me up.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Pastor Josh

« Reply #2908 on: October 01, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
"You're good!  That's why they call him 'Sharp-ling.'"
Who I don't have chocolate?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2909 on: October 02, 2009, 07:07:48 AM »
I was not familiar with the guests, but the show was a riot. I have moved Venture Brothers to the top of my Netflix cue. I really enjoy it when guests fall into the rhythm of the show, especially when they can give back to Tom almost as good as they get. I liked the Martin Short episode, but I had the feeling that because he was driving, and not live in the studio, he wasn't sure if he was in on the joke, or part of the joke, so he came off a bit hesitant to some extent. I would love to see what Tom could do with a "comedy legend" in studio, so they could pick up from his body language that they were in a safe harbor. For instance, when Ms Mann's in studio, she's a perfect fit. Great show!