Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778500 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #3015 on: October 16, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »
I watch almost no TV these days because I am an addict.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

chrisfoll577

« Reply #3016 on: October 16, 2009, 10:40:55 AM »
I don't watch TV anymore, but between sports streams, hulu, youtube, netflix and torrents, I feel like I sit on my butt watching video as much as I ever have.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3017 on: October 16, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »

What I hate about people who don't watch TV is that when you ask them if they're watching a particular TV program, they love doing this annoying, throw their hands up in the air, raise their eyebrows, smile big, and say, "Sorry, I don't OWN a TV!" thing.  They're not sorry.

And then say 10 minutes later in the conversation, someone'll make some Simpsons reference, and then go 'did you see the one where blah blah blah' and the non TV-er goes "oh, I loved that one!"

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3018 on: October 16, 2009, 02:28:17 PM »
The Medium is the message.

Fredericks, are you a Marshall McCluhan scholar?

It makes sense.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3019 on: October 16, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
The Medium is the message.

Fredericks, are you a Marshall McCluhan scholar?

It makes sense.

Scholar is such a strong word.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3020 on: October 16, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »
Jeez, it was like a punch right to the gut when Mike and Therese agreed how hateable people are who say they don't watch TV. I still remember Chris T. saying the same thing back in the Aerial View days.  I don't watch TV, what am I supposed to do, lie?  Why are we hated?

I don't hate you personally, but I will attempt to explain why you and your kind are hated by others.

Anti-TV people are on the whole snobs who don't have the first clue what they are talking about when they say there is nothing useful about television. The fact is that there is some AMAZING television out there, well worth the time spent watching it. Yes, there is a mountain of trash and the news is mostly bunk, but that is still worth keeping tabs on too. Making the choice to not have a TV cannot be a matter of hating what television represents either, because it is too late to fight that battle. You might as well be protesting the descendants of Gutenberg. It's already here, so just come out of your yurt and deal with it. Maybe you'll even enjoy it!

Unless one can come up with a good enough reason to avoid television beyond snobbery (and I dare anyone to try), then you are wrong and should in fact watch tv. This is my belief as a tv watcher, developed over a year spent living in an anti-tv cohabitation situation (verified fact).
I agree. There is amazing television out there, no argument. For me it's a matter of how and when the content is presented. I stopped watching 'television' about 10+ years ago. I do have a beautiful 42inch plasma display hooked up to a blu-ray player only and surround sound for the sole purpose of watching movies. It's great. I guess the point is, I program stuff I want to watch when I want to watch it, almost commercial free(I say almost cause sometimes movies can be very long commercials). I fucking hate commercials, I understand their importance regarding revenue stream and that it allows programming to be made etc...when I travel and end up in a hotel somewhere then turn the tv on, the commercials kill me. That's why I love the firefox browser, I can block the shit out of everything especially commercials(guess you could do the same with DVRs). That being said, I do make some portion of my living from providing services to the commercial film industry. And I'm not being a snob, commercials work...I am easily influenced by them. Also, it seemed to be the default thing to do when I hit the sofa, turn tv on and go slack jawed for several hours. I had this thought that if I removed that element from my life it would lead to better things, like reading or interacting with people. I can say that it did, which is a good thing. The other side of that is now I've replaced tv watching with computer watching which I'm sure is not any better, perhaps worse. So, I don't miss tv programs...I do follow closely the comments made on this forum about tv shows, it seems to me you folks have great taste in that area. I have yet to be disappointed. You are my chosen gate keepers. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm with you this.  Since I joined this board I no longer feel the need to read Parade magazine
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

kittykittymeowmixhead

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3021 on: October 16, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »
Holy moly, the T&M show is great.

"As I believe the kids say, she was bangin'"

That was hilarious!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3022 on: October 17, 2009, 08:12:27 AM »
This depends on context.

If someone asks you if you have seen a particular show, and your response is "No", you're just being truthful.

If someone asks you if you have seen a particular show, and your response is "I don't watch/own a TV", you're an asshole.

It took me years to understand this, but I engaged in similar assholery for years when people would ask, for instance, "Heard the new Eric B and Rakim?" The correct response should have been "No".

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3023 on: October 18, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »
PRISON BALL.

I grew up in North Dakota during the 1980's, which, if you adjust for scale, was everywhere else during the 1950's.

We played the hell out of some PRISON BALL.  I just about passed out when Mike mentioned it.  He was totally, 100% right on about it, too.  It sounds like Mike and I went to very similar schools.

Line soccer, too.  It was really violent.

Thank you for this,
Ike
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3024 on: October 18, 2009, 08:52:02 PM »
The school I went to in Brooklyn had a game where we kicked milk cartons around. I think it was called We Can't Afford Soccer Balls.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3025 on: October 18, 2009, 09:45:04 PM »
PRISON BALL.

I grew up in North Dakota during the 1980's, which, if you adjust for scale, was everywhere else during the 1950's.

We played the hell out of some PRISON BALL.  I just about passed out when Mike mentioned it.  He was totally, 100% right on about it, too.  It sounds like Mike and I went to very similar schools.

Line soccer, too.  It was really violent.

Thank you for this,
Ike

I moved around a lot as a kid, but we played prison ball at the school where I attended 4th grade in downtown Louisville, KY. This would've been around 1984 or 5. None of my schoolmates at any of my subsequent schools had any idea what I was talking about when I would mention it.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3026 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18:16 PM »
The issue with television = 80% of it is shit.

On the whole, this is also true of music.

It's also true of movies.

And books. And everything else that is mass-marketed.

Singling out TV is pretty dense.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3027 on: October 18, 2009, 10:37:47 PM »
'90% of everything is crap.'

Somebody I know credited that to Terry Southern, but I'm thinking somebody else said it first. Probably Mark Twain. He said everything.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3028 on: October 19, 2009, 09:31:48 AM »
'90% of everything is crap.'

Somebody I know credited that to Terry Southern, but I'm thinking somebody else said it first. Probably Mark Twain. He said everything.

Theodore Sturgeon. Sometimes called Sturgeon's Law.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3029 on: October 19, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »
AND ALSO, it was called Paddle Ball, I think.  I want to say it was marketed directly to public schools in the hopes it would catch on, ala shuttlecock. 

AND ALSO, I had a nightmare last night about the red scooters.  We had those, too.  It was, honestly, A LOT LIKE ROAD WARRIOR.  We would sneak rocks in and whip them at each other, instead of actually using bb guns. 

Again, TIME AND PLACE. 

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink