Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778184 times)

ackbar

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #3030 on: October 20, 2009, 02:48:33 AM »
shows like the wire & tim/eric have taken genres to places only possible through the tv medium. and quite frankly, it's gotten to the point where the tv cream-of-the-crop can now stand up against comparable feature lengths

ackbar

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3031 on: October 20, 2009, 02:49:31 AM »
plus top chef is just plain entertaining

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3032 on: October 20, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »
Most of the actors on Intervention are pretty convincing. What % of that is improvised?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3033 on: October 20, 2009, 10:14:40 AM »
Most of the actors on Intervention are pretty convincing. What % of that is improvised?

All the parts where the family says, "I love ____ and just want to help him."  They just want him to either stop using and be normal or die.

All the parts where the addict says "I love my family."

Too harsh?  Sure.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3034 on: October 20, 2009, 10:16:10 AM »
When someone asks me if I watch a particular sitcom and I respond that "No, I don't really watch TV", it's purely for practical reasons. The times when I just say "no" with no explaination, it inevitably leads to a hundred further conversations down the road asking me if I watch this or that other show, and I have to say "no" again every time it comes up.  Why not just nip that topic in the bud when it comes up the first time? I think it's more polite to just tell the truth, and not feel the need to imply "no, I watch a lot of shows but just not that particular one."

If you're not an opera fan and someone asks you if you've seen the latest production of Don Giovanni at some opera house, are you going to say you don't get to the opera house very much 'cause your not the biggest opera fan, or are you going to be all like "Aw, no, I didn't catch that one!" They're both "true", but I ask you, what's the bigger asshole move - being honest or pretending you're into something you're not into?

I think the people out there who throw around the "snob" word so easily when it comes to TV might just be a teensy bit defensive about their own viewing habits. I put them in the same class as those people who get irrationally annoyed at vegetarians/vegans. Same difference - sure there are assholes who brag about it or are condescending about it, but don't jump the gun and paint us all with such a broad brush! 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my yurt behind the Lady Foot Locker.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Pat K

« Reply #3035 on: October 20, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »
AND ALSO, it was called Paddle Ball, I think.  I want to say it was marketed directly to public schools in the hopes it would catch on, ala shuttlecock. 

Also, PADDLE BALL - all-time classic. I forget the specifics of the discussion on the show last week, but we played it with hard whiffle balls. We all aimed for each others raquet-hands - if you got hit in the fingers with that ball, it hurt like a motherfucker.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3036 on: October 20, 2009, 11:09:20 AM »
I'm sorry, I don't play games with the word BALL in the title.

Pat K

« Reply #3037 on: October 20, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't play games with the word BALL in the title.

See? Now I know not to ask you anything about SlamBall.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3038 on: October 20, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »
I could not part with my TV now that the new season of Venture Brothers has started up.

Brought to you by Cartoon NetworkTM

kittykittymeowmixhead

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3039 on: October 20, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
When someone asks me if I watch a particular sitcom and I respond that "No, I don't really watch TV", it's purely for practical reasons. The times when I just say "no" with no explaination, it inevitably leads to a hundred further conversations down the road asking me if I watch this or that other show, and I have to say "no" again every time it comes up.  Why not just nip that topic in the bud when it comes up the first time? I think it's more polite to just tell the truth, and not feel the need to imply "no, I watch a lot of shows but just not that particular one."

If you're not an opera fan and someone asks you if you've seen the latest production of Don Giovanni at some opera house, are you going to say you don't get to the opera house very much 'cause your not the biggest opera fan, or are you going to be all like "Aw, no, I didn't catch that one!" They're both "true", but I ask you, what's the bigger asshole move - being honest or pretending you're into something you're not into?

I pretty much agree with this. I was once an "I don't really watch TV and don't have cable" person. Now I'm a TV show addict. It doesn't bother me when people say they don't watch TV, but if they say "I don't even own a television" in a boasting or condescending manner, they are what I would consider douche material.

Pat K

« Reply #3040 on: October 20, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
but if they say "I don't even own a television" in a boasting or condescending manner, they are what I would consider douche material.

Yeah, not even owning a TV is a whole other animal entirely. Anyone without a television set in 2009 is straight-up bonkers. Even if they're not douchey about it, you still have to wonder, what the fuck are you thinking?

fletcher munson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3041 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »
I really like  Therese's spontaneous gasp when Mike says stuff like, "We're bringing sexy back" or "she was bangin'".  She sounds so genuinely horrified - really great.
veni dixie vici

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3042 on: October 20, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
I just re-listened to the Venture Brothers episode today - the discussion of CB handles killed me, especially Tom's impression of the 13-year old kid on the CB.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dicebourbon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3043 on: October 20, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »
I don't know if it's possible to separate tonight's horror stories into Best/Worst. They're kind of one and the same.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3044 on: October 20, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »
Favorite caller of the night (and maybe my new favorite caller) is Mike's friend (didn't catch his name) - the guy with the brick-throwing/dog-carrying story.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.