Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778060 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #3585 on: January 25, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »
Last time I read Chunklet I thought 'wow, this guy is just burned out on music. He needs to find something else to do.'

I thought Jon Auer was a great guest also.

Also a high-point: Tom giving the puppet and the H-man the what-for.

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3586 on: January 25, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »
Henry Owings (aka worst caller in best show history) reminds me of myself as a teenager. I guess that's the age where you first are able to kinda-sorta understand music and art. If you're a low self-esteem, self-loathing twerp, you're insecure about your own ability to do this. So any time you understand something, it means it must be shitty.

"Hey, you know what? Band A sounds a little bit like Band B! THEREFORE I HATE THEM."
"Hey, I think this character in the film is just there for exposition. HAHA I SEE THROUGH YOU, DIRECTOR! YOU SUCK!"

Dan B

« Reply #3587 on: January 25, 2010, 04:56:55 PM »
Someone recommend me some Posies records. Or at least a starting point.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3588 on: January 25, 2010, 05:32:03 PM »

I own two copies of Beating Up The Froster  or something very similar to that title.  The cover is yellow and green.  If I remember correctly.

"Easier to swallow and harder to spit out." = My favorite lyric, off the top of my head.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3589 on: January 25, 2010, 06:22:38 PM »

Frosting on the Beater is the only one I've heard and it's good.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3590 on: January 25, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »

Love that title so much ... I don't know what I thought the Posies were like, but after I heard Auer on the show I think I was wrong. I had a different band in my head I think ...
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

DS1077

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3591 on: January 25, 2010, 08:53:15 PM »
Re: Posies, I still think their best song is "I may hate you sometimes (but I'll always love you)", which is on their album "Failure".

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3592 on: January 25, 2010, 08:58:04 PM »

Love that title so much ... I don't know what I thought the Posies were like, but after I heard Auer on the show I think I was wrong. I had a different band in my head I think ...

Pixies?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

ackbar

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3593 on: January 26, 2010, 05:35:04 AM »
glad auer stayed the whole show. great guest
i also think that an h-man/wally combo would be the ultimate prodigy.. h-man as the insecure yet genuine straight-man & wally as the relentless wildcard puppet co-host.

(no offense intended on either of those descriptions btw)

ackbar

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3594 on: January 26, 2010, 06:02:10 AM »
i was definitely caught off guard when tom interjected regarding jay reatard & chunklet..
after checking the blogpost discussed in this thread, i've got to say i'm a little disgusted

if you want to take the higher road & realize that a lot of things become meaningless at a certain point.. then remove the post in question & ensure you pay proper tribute on air! there's no reason you should be calling otherwise

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3595 on: January 26, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »
My favorite part might've been when Tom whispered for Mike to help him during the Wally vs. Z-Man conversation/argument.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

mackro

« Reply #3596 on: January 26, 2010, 11:04:49 PM »
BRYCE!

chuck from cedar rapids

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3597 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
Mike's conversation with Julie Klausner and his book review. Fantastic.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3598 on: January 27, 2010, 09:55:05 AM »
I have no idea why, but Julie and Tom's miscommunication leading to discussion of the Kool Aid man had me laughing hard.  If he's wearing a burglar mask, rendering him mostly black, then "You better *hope* it's the Kool Aid man.  Otherwise it's just this negative space coming after you."

Also, the Kool Aid man's black wool hat would be all wet.

Insane.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3599 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
The bit about when Laverne & Shirley moved to CA and Lenny & Squigley moved too - "wait, that's like a crime, right?" which led into how a bunch of those '70s shows sort of gave up all pretense of their being set in the '50s/'60s. Scott Baio's feathered hair, etc.

Jen Kirkman getting indignant about Fosse which led to the heave ho on the grounds that Tom had similar justification about Sherlock Holmes ...

I also loved Julie's whole interaction with Tom for the whole show ... lots of funny things like Good Mom, Fat Mom and the horrible vision of Billy Crystal and (I assume) Bruce Villanich riffing w/bagels - Carb Props, etc etc. She was just great.

Whoever pointed out that the Avatar people had that weird watery Matthew Lillard quality - that's dead on. I still haven't seen the movie. I got guilted into seeing Titanic and I still regret it, and I"m standing my ground.

Bicycle Seat - Mike's comment about it whether it was a Chekhov story or a Penthouse Forum story - just all of Tom's editorial groans when Mike was talking, so funny. Therese going "I feel like I should I apologize too"

Also, sorry about my Brenda Vaccaro 3-pack-a-day laugh on my phone call - I'm getting over a cold.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?