Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778214 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #3705 on: February 12, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »
Just like evvvveeerrrryyy cowboy wrote a lame poem he read on the Tonight Show With Johnny Carson Evvrrrryyyy Roze has it's thorn!

chuck from cedar rapids

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3706 on: February 13, 2010, 02:39:10 AM »
The Hodgman/Tompkins/Leo calls were to be fantastic but Patton's call was massive. The "Vedic Grunt" just took everything to the level though.

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3707 on: February 13, 2010, 03:09:27 AM »
I have to say, whoever wrote this "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" song has the worst feel for poetic analogy I've ever seen:

Every rose has its thorn (Cliche much? But OK)

Just like every night has its dawn (Wait, how is a dawn "just like" a thorn?  One conventionally symbolizes an end to suffering, while the other is a source of suffering that attends something pleasurable.)

Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song (But how is that "just like" a thorn or a dawn?  A cowboy is just a neutral term for a guy, there's nothing incongruous about him singing a sad, sad song.  Maybe he's sad!  Plus, is this even true?  I don't remember Roy Rogers singing any sad, sad songs.)

And then later on we get this:

Though it's been a while now
I can still feel so much pain
Like a knife that cuts you the wound heals
but the scar, that scar will remain

A scar as an analogy for the pain you still feel?  How lame is that?  Scars don't hurt.  They memorialize a pain that may be remembered, but is not still felt. And then two verses later, just in case we forget how unimaginative this guy is, he doesn't come up with another cliche; he revisits the cliche he just used:

And to see you cuts me like a knife

Dumbest member of Poison: This guy.

THESE ARE FIGHTING WORDS!!!

"This guy" that you're referring to is Bret Michaels. I will freely admit, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he did go to my high school many years before me.

My teacher in 7th and 8th grade computer class was the father of Bret's childhood best friend.  Every year, he'd have the 8th graders make up an "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" graphic in computer class, then he'd have Brett sign each one of them.  I know people who still have theirs framed.

But yeah, the song is kinda dumb ;)
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3708 on: February 13, 2010, 03:48:09 AM »
I have to say, whoever wrote this "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" song has the worst feel for poetic analogy I've ever seen:

Every rose has its thorn (Cliche much? But OK)

Just like every night has its dawn (Wait, how is a dawn "just like" a thorn?  One conventionally symbolizes an end to suffering, while the other is a source of suffering that attends something pleasurable.)

Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song (But how is that "just like" a thorn or a dawn?  A cowboy is just a neutral term for a guy, there's nothing incongruous about him singing a sad, sad song.  Maybe he's sad!  Plus, is this even true?  I don't remember Roy Rogers singing any sad, sad songs.)

And then later on we get this:

Though it's been a while now
I can still feel so much pain
Like a knife that cuts you the wound heals
but the scar, that scar will remain

A scar as an analogy for the pain you still feel?  How lame is that?  Scars don't hurt.  They memorialize a pain that may be remembered, but is not still felt. And then two verses later, just in case we forget how unimaginative this guy is, he doesn't come up with another cliche; he revisits the cliche he just used:

And to see you cuts me like a knife

Dumbest member of Poison: This guy.

Hello Mark:

I have to say, I respectfully disagree with your analysis of Poison's "Every Rose has Its Thorn". Bret Michaels is speaking to the constant nature of women--Every beautiful women can cause harm, and this is a universal truth in his eyes, thus the comparison to nights and their dawns (every night does indeed have a dawn), and every cowboy, presumably, has a sad song in their repertoire of songs about life on a cattle drive (Roy Rogers hardly being the traditional archetype of a cowboy and thus is a poor standard for understanding cowboy culture).

As far as scars: physical scars do not hurt, but Bret Michaels is talking about emotional pain. For anyone that has participated in psychotherapy can attest, emotional scars do indeed still hurt.

Dear Professor,

It was not my analysis, but I did comment on it afterwards.

Additionally, people... I am quite literally shocked by the lack of your singin' cowboy history. Crack a country western encyclopedia much? Didn't think so.

The ultimate sad cowboy is Jimmie Rodgers, and actually one can hear his influences on "Every Rose Has Its Thorn." The super-pronounced southern drawl, the silly rhyming mechanisms, to the cheesy chorus... It's all there, and has been since cowboys began singing round the campfire.

Weird... I'm starting to see things in this song that I never had before.

Thanks, Tom. I think.
"Is this me?"

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3709 on: February 13, 2010, 10:15:41 AM »
Jimmie Rodgers wasn't a cowboy. He worked on the railroad. He was a brakeman, the singing brakeman. And there wasn't anything "silly" or "cheesy" about his music. He was one of the inventors of country music. Your ignorance is showing, son, back to the books.
See God, Kai

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3710 on: February 13, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
Jimmie Rodgers wasn't a cowboy. He worked on the railroad. He was a brakeman, the singing brakeman. And there wasn't anything "silly" or "cheesy" about his music. He was one of the inventors of country music. Your ignorance is showing, son, back to the books.

He wrote some of the most moving, genuinely creepy songs ever ("Frankie and Johnny" and "TB Blues" being two examples).  A true blue artist, dead far too young of a wasting disease. 

I've been listening to a collection of his for the past two weeks and it honestly blows my mind.  Impeccable sounding recordings too, given the time at which they were recorded.   

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Nick F

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3711 on: February 13, 2010, 12:56:08 PM »

He wrote some of the most moving, genuinely creepy songs ever ("Frankie and Johnny" and "TB Blues" being two examples).  A true blue artist, dead far too young of a wasting disease. 

I've been listening to a collection of his for the past two weeks and it honestly blows my mind.  Impeccable sounding recordings too, given the time at which they were recorded.   

I love the song Pistol Packin' Papa - it's so rude!

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #3712 on: February 13, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »

He wrote some of the most moving, genuinely creepy songs ever ("Frankie and Johnny" and "TB Blues" being two examples).  

He didn't write Frankie and Johnny
that's an old American traditional about love and firearms (the way all our music should be).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_and_Johnny_%28song%29

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3713 on: February 13, 2010, 01:45:17 PM »
Right Said Fred announcing at the laundry:
"Be sparing with your soaps if you are lucky launderer at number ten! The only thing we want overflowing is DANCE!!!"

Harpsichord

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3714 on: February 13, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »
Paul and Tom have such great chemistry together.  If the sitcom they're making captures even half of it it's going to be great.

On a related note, didn't Adam Carolla have a Tower Air story as well? 

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3715 on: February 13, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »

He wrote some of the most moving, genuinely creepy songs ever ("Frankie and Johnny" and "TB Blues" being two examples).  

that's an old American traditional about love and firearms (the way all our music should be).

I stand absolutely corrected.  Sorry about that!  I'm most familiar (over 256 renditions?  Wow!) with his.  He did write "Waiting For a Train," which is great as well.  He was a badass dude. 

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3716 on: February 14, 2010, 07:17:43 AM »

These sound like fighting words, son.

edit: Guess we should just forget songs of his that include "cowboy" in them, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjbqz6vZjg

I suppose this would be the appropriate time to break out in an extremely serious yodel and little end-zone dance.
"Is this me?"

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3717 on: February 14, 2010, 07:43:43 AM »
The internet connection at the hotel was terrible so I could only listen while I was on hold but I got to hear Julie's call! Which I loved :) Can't wait to listen to the rest when we get home, though. Weed party!
from the land of pleasant living

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #3718 on: February 14, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »

I stand absolutely corrected.  Sorry about that!  I'm most familiar (over 256 renditions?  Wow!) with his.  He did write "Waiting For a Train," which is great as well.  He was a badass dude. 

I don't know, I just happen to be really into that song. I came to it from the Sam Cooke version. I been collecting others over time and I'm now up to about 20. The Charlie Feathers 1956 Sun Demo version is now my favourite.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3719 on: February 14, 2010, 10:23:44 AM »
I love all the Mrs. uh-Wiggins & Mr. Tudball references - not only last week but I think it came up one or two shows ago too. This was big laffs for me when I was like 7 or 8:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P2dbwrT_fQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

I often think of Nora Desmond when I put on mascara in the morning too:

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?