Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778162 times)

Lanzo

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #3735 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »
Can we talk about what happened with Matt Walsh and the lifetime ban on this week's best show? I missed it live.

He dropped an F-Bomb. That is all...

Sarah

« Reply #3736 on: February 24, 2010, 11:07:07 AM »
. . . or is it because things like that can get the station in trouble that it doesn't need?

This, I believe.  (Speaking of the verb "believe," the Olympic anthem on CTV includes the lyric "I believe in the power of you and I," and I cringe each time I hear it, which is about seventy million times a day.)

bonnaventure

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3737 on: February 24, 2010, 11:24:53 AM »
. . . or is it because things like that can get the station in trouble that it doesn't need?

This, I believe.  (Speaking of the verb "believe," the Olympic anthem on CTV includes the lyric "I believe in the power of you and I," and I cringe each time I hear it, which is about seventy million times a day.)

I think it's a little of both, since if Matt Walsh said the F word on good morning america, he'd never work again, yet some people think it's fine due to the obscure nature of the show. Also, if WFMU get's a FCC fine, it cuts directly in to the pledge fund (I would assume).

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3738 on: February 24, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »

I think it's a little of both, since if Matt Walsh said the F word on good morning america, he'd never work again, yet some people think it's fine due to the obscure nature of the show. Also, if WFMU get's a FCC fine, it cuts directly in to the pledge fund (I would assume).

Then Tom would have do another marathon show!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3739 on: February 24, 2010, 11:28:47 AM »
I enjoyed Sarah's call.

Re: bleeping: check out Too Much Information's interview with Armando Iannucci from the other day, for some surreal consequences of having to bleep profanities. They run clips from The Thick of It and In the Loop, and about every two or three words have to be censored. (Granted, they could've picked less profanity-laden clips. And the podcast version is apparently not censored.)

bonnaventure

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3740 on: February 24, 2010, 11:32:02 AM »
I also listened to my call this morning. A friend told me I sounded "Hammered and out of breath", I feel kind of defensive now. At least I can hear Tom ask "who's on" and mike responding "Bonnaventure" and Tom actually taking the call. That's good for my self esteem anyways.

Sarah

« Reply #3741 on: February 24, 2010, 11:39:57 AM »
Thank you, Martin.  I was very pleased that I didn't close with "bye-bye," as has been my norm.  I regret, though, not mentioning Sven Kramer's disqualification from the 10,000-meter race in long-track speed skating. 

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3742 on: February 24, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »
Thank you, Martin.  I was very pleased that I didn't close with "bye-bye," as has been my norm.  I regret, though, not mentioning Sven Kramer's disqualification from the 10,000-meter race in long-track speed skating. 

Someone on my Facebook feed talked about schadenfreude in the case of Kramer, saying essentially "Karma's a bitch" about his disqualification. However, from reading articles about it I couldn't conclude what they were referring to. Any clues?

Sarah

« Reply #3743 on: February 24, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »
Beats me.  I never heard of the guy till he won the 5,000 meter.

later:  The comments here tell me that some people have deemed it karma for his having responded "Are you stupid?" to an NBC reporter when she requested, ""If you can say your name and your country and what you just won here."  I think his reaction was a little extreme but hardly worthy of such grave punishment from the gods, especially since it was his coach who made the mistake, not he.  But mythology tells us vengeful deities are often unfair, so, who knows? 

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3744 on: February 24, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »
Oh, that: I thought that was an excellent response to a stupid question.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3745 on: February 24, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
Worst: teasing Matt Walsh about buying a frying pan at the Salvation Army.

I have purchased cookware at thrift stores before, and I'll probably do it again. Shit, I've even picked various housewares out of other people's garbage. I am unashamed!

Nate K

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3746 on: February 24, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »

He's a terrible interviewee too. Tom carried him the whole time.

lauramaili

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3747 on: February 24, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »

He's a terrible interviewee too. Tom carried him the whole time.

Agreed. Matt Walsh is a funny dude, but it sounds like his publicist was bugging Tom to have Matt on the show? And for Matt to not deliver is pretty bad. The marathon show will be killer though! Woot!
"You know that movie Minority Report? You're like  those weirdos in the tub."

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3748 on: February 24, 2010, 01:56:04 PM »

I have purchased cookware at thrift stores before, and I'll probably do it again. Shit, I've even picked various housewares out of other people's garbage. I am unashamed!

Hey if that's what you wanna do that's cool. I just hope guests to your house know the food they are eating may have been prepared or served in something that was in a strangers garbage can.  :-\

DJ Clem

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3749 on: February 24, 2010, 02:32:18 PM »
Fredericks talking Tom off the ledge:
"Well, I have a camel, and some sandhill cranes in my back pocket if we need 'em!"