Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778208 times)

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #3750 on: February 24, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
I'm not even through the whole episode yet but I have already cracked up at 1) Tom's Roy Orbison impression and 2) "These people talking like they're loading a UPS truck!"

I must admit that I feel kind of bad for Matt Walsh. He seems like a nice enough guy that just slipped up. However, the aforementioned quote kind of made it worth it.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

Sarah

« Reply #3751 on: February 24, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »
Oh, that: I thought that was an excellent response to a stupid question.

I don't think it was entirely out of line for a TV spot.  But the punishment certainly didn't fit the crime.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3752 on: February 24, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »
I'm not even through the whole episode yet but I have already cracked up at 1) Tom's Roy Orbison impression and 2) "These people talking like they're loading a UPS truck!"

That was beautiful.

redmedicine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3753 on: February 24, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
Agreed. Matt Walsh is a funny dude, but it sounds like his publicist was bugging Tom to have Matt on the show? And for Matt to not deliver is pretty bad. The marathon show will be killer though! Woot!

Is he a funny dude? I was wondering that even before he got dropped.  I've given him the benefit of the doubt for a long time because of his associations, but can't think of a single thing he's done that made me laugh.  Seriously, all I can think of is Martin and Orloff, and a bunch of bit parts, none of which were that memorable.

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3754 on: February 24, 2010, 06:10:46 PM »
Agreed. Matt Walsh is a funny dude, but it sounds like his publicist was bugging Tom to have Matt on the show? And for Matt to not deliver is pretty bad. The marathon show will be killer though! Woot!

Is he a funny dude? I was wondering that even before he got dropped.  I've given him the benefit of the doubt for a long time because of his associations, but can't think of a single thing he's done that made me laugh.  Seriously, all I can think of is Martin and Orloff, and a bunch of bit parts, none of which were that memorable.

Do you not find UCB to be funny? If that's the case then I don't know what to tell you. However, if you're basing your judgment on his bit parts in movies then that's kind of silly. It's like saying you don't get why Dave Foley is funny because you hated "Blast From the Past".
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

herbsweal

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3755 on: February 24, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »
The Tim and Eric interview, hands down, was my favorite part of the show. I especially cracked up at the sketch ideas they mentioned, particularly portraying Obama as a homeless man.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3756 on: February 24, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »

http://wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=3527&archive=3074   (may 21, 2002 in case the link doesn't work)
At the 1:07 mark an epic Walsh call featuring Horatio Sanz and Jon Benjamin.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3757 on: February 24, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
Hugman's right - the early Matt Walsh calls are among the gut-bustingest moments in the early Best Show, which is high praise.  Now, some of that was how he worked with Jon Benjamin and Horatio Sanz, but it takes real talent to be a straight man.

My take on it is that he slipped up and Tom seized on it as part of the "this is a terrible night" bit.  The two men have been doing comedy together for ten years.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3758 on: February 24, 2010, 09:39:08 PM »
Hugman's right - the early Matt Walsh calls are among the gut-bustingest moments in the early Best Show

What Huff and Bugg said - he was a fixture in the early episodes w/good reason. He effed up last night, I think, and Tom's probably gonna make him crawl on hot coals!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3759 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
Hugman's right - the early Matt Walsh calls are among the gut-bustingest moments in the early Best Show, which is high praise.  Now, some of that was how he worked with Jon Benjamin and Horatio Sanz, but it takes real talent to be a straight man.

My take on it is that he slipped up and Tom seized on it as part of the "this is a terrible night" bit.  The two men have been doing comedy together for ten years.

The Yankees vs. Mets call from the first show in the archives is fantastic.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3760 on: February 24, 2010, 09:45:57 PM »
Matt is King John, but Tom's the Pope. Matt will have to stand barefoot in the snow for 3 days and 3 nights for forgiveness.

kevin_

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3761 on: February 24, 2010, 10:45:51 PM »
Don't wanna drudge up stuff from history but I remember an F bomb in the Yankees vs. Mets bit.

Eric Wareheim's giggle had me busting up.

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3762 on: February 25, 2010, 05:12:10 AM »
Tom telling Spike that he likes Big Bang Theory.  I just hope he wasn't being sarcastic.  I'll have to listen again.
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3763 on: February 25, 2010, 06:44:21 AM »
Don't wanna drudge up stuff from history but I remember an F bomb in the Yankees vs. Mets bit.

Yeah, this is hardly the first time someone has accidentally sworn on the air. I don't know why this particular one was such a big deal, but I don't know the whole story so I guess I won't speculate.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3764 on: February 25, 2010, 08:53:42 AM »

Yeah, this is hardly the first time someone has accidentally sworn on the air. I don't know why this particular one was such a big deal, but I don't know the whole story so I guess I won't speculate.

I assumed that Tom's reaction was mostly for comedic purposes, though I realize that he sincerely doesn't appreciate on-air cursing.