Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777994 times)

kevin_

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #3795 on: February 27, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »

When my big male cat acts like a butthole, I tell him I'm going to sell him to the gypsies. Even if I wanted to do this, I'm not sure how I'd go about it.

Try Craigslist.

As for people cursing, Kirkman is a regular listener and got treated like a regular caller. Despite his invaluable contributions to the Best Show in the past, I got the feeling that the Walsh call was strictly for plugging the Spork TV version of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The fact that WFMU seemed to be one stop on a podcast blitz probably compounded things.

That said, I actually listened to the Adam Carolla podcast with Matt Walsh as the guest and he did make a passing mention of being kicked off the Best Show and he sounded genuinely apologetic about it.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3796 on: February 27, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »
On some shows, callers would use strong language and Tom would react by hanging up on them.

Sometimes, though, someone would say a curse word and Tom would disconnect the call.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Sarah

« Reply #3797 on: February 27, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
Astutely observed, AC.

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3798 on: February 27, 2010, 02:39:35 PM »
When my big male cat acts like a butthole, I tell him I'm going to sell him to the gypsies.

Sig'ed for posterity!  Thank you!

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3799 on: February 27, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »

I haven't done this yet;  but try counting how many times Tom mentioned Matt and Spike (TV not the auteur).

"The only bad publicity is no publicity."  Johnny Thunders in Dead or Alive.

No kidding.  Probably a win-win for M. Walsh.

Gotta say, I was pretty bummed out by that exchange.  I'm sure there's a lot more at play than I know, none-of-our-business stuff.   His apology seemed very sincere. 

It made me uncomfortable, like when mom and dad fight, and then mom takes it too far, then dad leaves and "gets some smokes" and doesn't come back for a week. 

That kind of uncomfortable. 

Ike

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3800 on: February 27, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »
When my big male cat acts like a butthole, I tell him I'm going to sell him to the gypsies.

Sig'ed for posterity!  Thank you!

Yay! I should do a sig.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3801 on: February 28, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
"The Excelerator is the Matt Walsh of hand driers."

That is a really funny line!

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3802 on: February 28, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
Tom's take on curling is totally right on. I never watched the sport before these Olympics ( I had only heard of curling from the Beatles movie Help, in which there were explosive curling stones that the Beatles referred to as fiendish thingies).
I found it almost hypnotic the way in which the stones were launched by gently letting go. Almost seemed like slow motion or gravity defying. It was totally relaxing to watch.

I hope there will be more curling available on American TV.

fletcher munson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3803 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:57 PM »
This show had me laughing hard.  Loved Tom's threats, and George who called back (was he doing a voice as Tom originally suspected??).  The weasle who called to insult Tom towards the end made me cringe.

On another note, just watched Help! last night, H.Blvd.  If you haven't seen it in a couple of years, I suggest a revisit, so many little bits and sillies I had forgotten - I forgot it was in color.  Not as good as Head, but definitely up there. 
veni dixie vici

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3804 on: March 01, 2010, 01:30:05 AM »
I had only heard of curling from the Beatles movie Help, in which there were explosive curling stones that the Beatles referred to as fiendish thingies

When I first saw Help, I was 11 years old and honestly thought that curling was a fictional sport made up for the sake of that scene in the movie.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3805 on: March 01, 2010, 03:09:22 AM »
I had only heard of curling from the Beatles movie Help, in which there were explosive curling stones that the Beatles referred to as fiendish thingies

When I first saw Help, I was 11 years old and honestly thought that curling was a fictional sport made up for the sake of that scene in the movie.

Yeah, me too. Curling also shows up in the James Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3806 on: March 01, 2010, 09:49:57 AM »
DAVE IN KNOXVILLE, WHOSE LAST NAME I PROMISE I DON'T KNOW:

I teach a class on rock and roll music at a community college--a humanities class, history of rock and roll. 

I have had, on two occasions, students who HAD NEVER HEARD OF THE BEATLES. 

The first time it happened I was so shocked I literally didn't know how to respond.  The second time I asked if the kid was home-schooled (MISTAKE MISTAKE MISTAKE), and it ended in tears. 

The level of ignorance is astounding.   U2 is, no lie, old-timey music for them.  Guns and Roses is exactly the same as Led Zeppelin.  This semester a student said, verbatim, "I hate the Beatles.  My roommate won't stop playing that video game." 

Video game.  Jesus. 

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3807 on: March 01, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »
I am waiting for a kid to tell me that Jay-Z is his favorite member of U2.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3808 on: March 01, 2010, 11:08:20 AM »

It's Grohl.

Whenever anyone brings up Bono, I say, "Yes, he got into that skiing accident, right?"  Almost no one has any idea what I'm talking about, but I always laugh.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3809 on: March 01, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »

I teach a class on rock and roll music at a community college--a humanities class, history of rock and roll. 

I have had, on two occasions, students who HAD NEVER HEARD OF THE BEATLES. 

The first time it happened I was so shocked I literally didn't know how to respond.  The second time I asked if the kid was home-schooled (MISTAKE MISTAKE MISTAKE), and it ended in tears. 

The level of ignorance is astounding.   U2 is, no lie, old-timey music for them.  Guns and Roses is exactly the same as Led Zeppelin.  This semester a student said, verbatim, "I hate the Beatles.  My roommate won't stop playing that video game." 

Video game.  Jesus. 

A 50ish(?) co-worker recently used that 'The Beatles were Paul McCartney's band before Wings' line on a 20ish co-worker. Suddenly, crickets in the building.