Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2779157 times)

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #3810 on: March 01, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
I just finished watching Help on DVD. What an amazing and funny movie.  I hadn't seen it in a few years.  I'm always surprised when I talk to people who have never seen Help or Hard Days Night.  These were practically required viewing when I was in college in the late 70s.  Anyone who listens to rock music needs to see these films.   I was smiling all the way through the film today.  Tomorrow I'll watch Hard Days Night.

George's comment on curling as he is handed the explosive curling stone by the evil scientist:
"light game, played with dust brooms. " I guess he didn't find it that relaxing. 

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3811 on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:03 PM »
I went through an really intense Beatles phase when I was in high school in the 90's. One day during my senior year in "Current Events" class (which was a glorified study hall) we were made to take a survey on our favorite movies. I guess the purpose of this exercise was to determine by votes what the most "popular" movie was among my classmates. I offered up my favorite movie, which at the time was "Help!" (because I watched it ad nauseam). Not only was I called out for my lameness by my fellow students, but also my teacher.

The final decision was eventually made and "Dazed and Confused" was voted unanimously as everyone's favorite movie.

I still know way too much of that movie's dialogue by heart. "A Hard Day's Night" too.
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3812 on: March 01, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »
According to Quentin Tarantino, Dazed in Confused is the best "hangout" movie since Rio Bravo. And believe it or not, he's still taken seriously by many people.
See God, Kai

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3813 on: March 01, 2010, 11:29:45 PM »
Whenever anyone brings up Bono, I say, "Yes, he got into that skiing accident, right?"  Almost no one has any idea what I'm talking about, but I always laugh.
I'm pretty sure my family has made that joke a few times.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3814 on: March 02, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »
According to Quentin Tarantino, Dazed in Confused is the best "hangout" movie since Rio Bravo. And believe it or not, he's still taken seriously by many people.

Tarantino talks alot of nonsense. Tarantino just plain talks alot. That being said I think his movies (well, some of them anyway) speak for themselves. For my money there are few directors who can get a better performance out of an actor.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3815 on: March 02, 2010, 12:42:29 PM »
DAVE IN KNOXVILLE, WHOSE LAST NAME I PROMISE I DON'T KNOW:

It's Grohl.

Whenever anyone brings up Bono, I say, "Yes, he got into that skiing accident, right?"  Almost no one has any idea what I'm talking about, but I always laugh.

David Grohl? Wasn't he the actor who played Joe, Rhoda Morgenstern's husband?
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

Sarah

« Reply #3816 on: March 02, 2010, 03:23:20 PM »
Oh, Spike, you can't fool me:  of course, you know that was David Groh.

Stan

« Reply #3817 on: March 02, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »
"I hate the Beatles.  My roommate won't stop playing that video game." 

Video game.  Jesus. 

Video game? I thought they were a cartoon:

"This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3818 on: March 02, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
"I hate the Beatles.  My roommate won't stop playing that video game." 

Video game.  Jesus. 

Video game? I thought they were a cartoon:

Remember the really terrible voice acting in that cartoon series? I loved their American accents! I still have a VHS tape full of these somewhere....a neighbor's mom gave them to me, I think they were taped off of MTV during a weekend marathon in the late 80's.
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3819 on: March 02, 2010, 07:43:18 PM »
I have that same cartoon set. It was taped off of MTV. I bought mine from Gary and a WFMU record fair some years ago. It's interesting when looking at the later cartoons that were made during the Beatles psychedelic stage. There's an animated version of the Strawberry Fields which got a little heavy for kids tv. It was more a precursor to Yellow Submarine which was produced by the same fellow, Al Brodax, who did these cartoons.

Steeley Chris

« Reply #3820 on: March 03, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »
A 50ish(?) co-worker recently used that 'The Beatles were Paul McCartney's band before Wings' line on a 20ish co-worker. Suddenly, crickets in the building.
"Wings was the band The Beatles could have been."
"Dad gets mad."

betheboy

« Reply #3821 on: March 03, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
While I listened live and pledged last night I'm listening to it in the archive again because it makes me so happy to hear everyone stepping up and doing the right thing to support the station. Great job by everyone in the studio last night, especially Auntie Christina who took my call; she not only recognized who I was, she also knew my dogs name. Just one more reason to love FOT.

One other cool note from last night, at least 4 friends of mine contacted me via Twitter last night to say that they pledged even though they don't listen regularly. To paraphrase one of them: I'm donating to WFMU because it makes you so happy. 

I'll keep encouraging them to listen but in the meantime, that's very nice of them. 

Thanks to everyone who gave and everyone who will be giving.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3822 on: March 03, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
While I listened live and pledged last night I'm listening to it in the archive again because it makes me so happy to hear everyone stepping up and doing the right thing to support the station. Great job by everyone in the studio last night, especially Auntie Christina who took my call; she not only recognized who I was, she also knew my dogs name. Just one more reason to love FOT.

Oh, me and DJD, we go back, we've @ed each other on twitter and stuff ...
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

P.W.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3823 on: March 03, 2010, 10:57:08 PM »
It's nice to know that all of the Jameses stepped up. Good Job, guys. I was not pleased, however, to hear my real name on the air, but I'm glad it added to the list of Jameses.

-Jesus' Worst Nightmare
Fresh never tasted so good!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3824 on: March 04, 2010, 08:51:57 AM »
You know what gave me a strange little thrill? That Hatch said "Dave from Knoxville" and I got a little cheer from Terre T, who I admire from afar. I never understood what Tom saw in Jillian Barbarie when Terre T was around, and apparently available.