Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778283 times)

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #4005 on: April 03, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »
Dismissing Slayer is completely unacceptable.

At first, I was a bit taken back by Tom dismissing Slayer

ooo Slayer Nerds!

I'm a metal fan. I'm not too nerdy about it with most bands except Turbonegro (are they metal?) who I like more for the gimmicky comedy element more than anything. I do like some Slayer though. I was wondering what Tom though the few exceptions were but I'd like to think that Mastodon, Tool, Clutch, High On Fire, Baroness, Isis, Neurosis, Melvins, C Average, The Sword all fall on the more sophisticated side of the metal genre. For the record though my metal interests take up about 5% of the my musical tastes.

Motorhead?

Occasionally for the goof but not a serious fan.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4006 on: April 04, 2010, 08:51:57 AM »
I still can't get over these young, young kids being Best Show listeners.

I find it weird too and yet, in the show's earliest days, kids used to call in every week (Petey being the prime example)
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4007 on: April 04, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »
Dismissing Slayer is completely unacceptable.

At first, I was a bit taken back by Tom dismissing Slayer

ooo Slayer Nerds!

I'm a metal fan. I'm not too nerdy about it with most bands except Turbonegro (are they metal?) who I like more for the gimmicky comedy element more than anything. I do like some Slayer though. I was wondering what Tom though the few exceptions were but I'd like to think that Mastodon, Tool, Clutch, High On Fire, Baroness, Isis, Neurosis, Melvins, C Average, The Sword all fall on the more sophisticated side of the metal genre. For the record though my metal interests take up about 5% of the my musical tastes.

Motorhead?

Occasionally for the goof but not a serious fan.

I personally would not call Motorhead "metal" (though they've gotten more so with the passing of years). There's way too much classic rock & roll in their sound to really pass for metal.

On the topic of metal, I finally saw the Iron Maiden: Flight 666 documentary this weekend and it's terrific. It also reaffirms my belief (based only on my personal experiences) that metal audiences are the coolest, nicest, friendliest audiences in all of rock. It's pretty heartwarming to see Colombian Maiden fans in tears at the end of the show just because they're so happy to have finally gotten the chance to see their favorite band live.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

redmedicine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4008 on: April 05, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
On the topic of metal, I finally saw the Iron Maiden: Flight 666 documentary this weekend and it's terrific. It also reaffirms my belief (based only on my personal experiences) that metal audiences are the coolest, nicest, friendliest audiences in all of rock. It's pretty heartwarming to see Colombian Maiden fans in tears at the end of the show just because they're so happy to have finally gotten the chance to see their favorite band live.

That guy also did a documentary on "World Metal" that looks kinda interesting.  He checks out the metal scenes in India, Japan, Israel etc.  There's some interviews with kids who have been put in jail for wearing a Slayer t-shirt.  Now that's fandom!

I'm also really looking forward to his Rush documentary!  I'm sure the Ayn Rand discussions with Neil Peart will be very illuminating, particularly if Neil is wearing his beanie and twirling drumsticks at the same time.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4009 on: April 05, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
Hey FOT,
    Never really posted on this thread, before, and don't have anything to really add that hasn't been said, but I was perusing it, and just gotta wonder, am I just missing the obvious, or who the heck is Edwina Crotch supposed to be?  Not some crazy shortening/massacring of Sabrina The Teenage Witch, right?  First off, that's a fictional character.  Secondly, she's not even really relevant, not that I imagine that fact would stop Spike from coming up with a goofy play on her name.  Thanks, in advance, for any clarification.

-The Z-Man

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4010 on: April 06, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »
who the heck is Edwina Crotch supposed to be?  Not some crazy shortening/massacring of Sabrina The Teenage Witch, right? 

I'd forgotten this ... yeah, I didn't figure out who he meant either. Who the hell is this supposed to be?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

ScottP

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4011 on: April 06, 2010, 08:50:19 AM »
Having been a Hayden fan for like 15 years, it kinda warmed my heart that somebody named their child after him.

Also loved JW's "Spooked 'em. Spooked 'em real bad."

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4012 on: April 06, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »
Hey FOT,
    Never really posted on this thread, before, and don't have anything to really add that hasn't been said, but I was perusing it, and just gotta wonder, am I just missing the obvious, or who the heck is Edwina Crotch supposed to be?  Not some crazy shortening/massacring of Sabrina The Teenage Witch, right?  First off, that's a fictional character.  Secondly, she's not even really relevant, not that I imagine that fact would stop Spike from coming up with a goofy play on her name.  Thanks, in advance, for any clarification.

-The Z-Man

My best guess: Ed Koch.
See God, Kai

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4013 on: April 06, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
(Ok, so this is about two weeks late, but I finally got around to hearing the last part of the celebrity endorsements episode.)

Mystery Solved! I took this picture, of what I thought was just a funny "engrish" type sign in front of a derelict strip mall in the town where I was teaching last year in Japan. Little did I know that it was actually a men's cologne, endorsed by the legendary Charles Bronson -until hearing that Best Show episode. Thanks Chris L.!
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4014 on: April 06, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »
Hey FOT,
    Never really posted on this thread, before, and don't have anything to really add that hasn't been said, but I was perusing it, and just gotta wonder, am I just missing the obvious, or who the heck is Edwina Crotch supposed to be?  Not some crazy shortening/massacring of Sabrina The Teenage Witch, right?  First off, that's a fictional character.  Secondly, she's not even really relevant, not that I imagine that fact would stop Spike from coming up with a goofy play on her name.  Thanks, in advance, for any clarification.

-The Z-Man

My best guess: Ed Koch.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Boy George, I think he's got it. It is the former mayor of NYC

"Achilles Bursitis"? Really, Pets.
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

stepheninchicago

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4015 on: April 08, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »
Regarding this weeks Therese & Mike show...

the last 20 minutes or so from the Trachtenburgh Family Slideshow Players onto Mike's last words "This guy has been touching my testicles" was JAW DROPPING.

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4016 on: April 08, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »
Regarding this weeks Therese & Mike show...

the last 20 minutes or so from the Trachtenburgh Family Slideshow Players onto Mike's last words "This guy has been touching my testicles" was JAW DROPPING.

Aww... I'll take partial credit for that... thanks!
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

kevin_

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4017 on: April 08, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »
no archive?  >:(

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4018 on: April 08, 2010, 10:44:12 PM »
no archive?  >:(

I've listened to the last half hour twice!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

kevin_

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4019 on: April 08, 2010, 11:25:53 PM »
<--- archivaldummy