Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2779040 times)

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #4335 on: June 16, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »
OMG was that your first time? I thought you'd called in before!

Same here. Weird.

Surely, there must be another guy in your city with your name who sounds exactly like you...right?

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4336 on: June 16, 2010, 10:30:51 AM »
"Kinisonian." I will now be giggling to myself on the bus for a good three weeks.

I've been revisiting the visual of a "Kinisonian" troll doll pencil topper.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4337 on: June 16, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
OMG was that your first time? I thought you'd called in before!

Same here. Weird.

Surely, there must be another guy in your city with your name who sounds exactly like you...right?

With ~60,000 people and Steve being a common name and a fairly good FOT contingent in town that's possible, but that was the first time for me.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4338 on: June 16, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »
I would like to state for the record that I AM NOT opening for Bleeped Up at Sled Island and I, in no way, encouraged that call.

orangewhip

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4339 on: June 16, 2010, 11:34:22 AM »
I'd love to hear "D&D talk with Milo" every week.
"My week beats your year." -- Lou Reed. Liner notes to Metal Machine Music

betheboy

« Reply #4340 on: June 16, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
By the way - that's me Jen Kirkman. kj47

Welcome Jen Kirkman, you are absolutely top notch.

Bernard

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4341 on: June 16, 2010, 12:00:34 PM »
I'd love to hear "D&D talk with Milo" every week.

I didn't hear the show this week, but I'm guessing "D&D Talk with Milo" was a show idea Tom threw out there.  And I was thinking about this kinda thing over the weekend.

Not to go off-topic, but you know how Howard Stern has two Sirius/XM channels?  There's Howard 100, where The Stern Show is primarily the only show broadcast on that station.  Then there's Howard 101, where other members of the Stern family have their shows.  It's also home to one-off shows and every-now-and-then shows that are born out of ideas which were originally discussed on The Howard Stern Show.

It would be great if there was a place for the other Best Show ideas, where stuff like "D&D Talk With Milo" could actually take shape.  Like just 30 minutes or something  Or Wally could have a show.  Or The H Man.  Or a weekly "Depravity's Rainbow."  Or "Spike's Soapdish," where Spike reviews the week's soap opera happenings.  That kinda thing.  Maybe it could even be on 'FMU's web stream.  I know this will never take shape, but man, having a second place to hear Best Show ideas come to life would be awesome.

And if it was Sirius/XM like Stern, then Tom could really go uncensored, and perform the soft-PG show he's always wanted to do.

OK, I'm done.  I just wanted to get that off my brain.

betheboy

« Reply #4342 on: June 16, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »
Favorite part of last night: PFT and Tom keeping track of the body count during Milo's D&D call. Followed by PFT asking me if I posted my address on-line the day the internet opened. It wasn't the first day but it was several years ago. For reasons that make no sense to me today, it seemed like a good idea at the time. The person who found it showed up in a misguided attempt to tell me that they liked me. They intended it to be flattering but it was not. Not long afterward I adopted a do fewer dumb things life plan.

It should be noted that this address and unwanted guest incident indirectly led to me meeting my wife some time later.

Least favorite moment: Hearing a family member turf out on their first call.

Barry Egan

« Reply #4343 on: June 16, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »
"FMU, you're on the air, dere."

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4344 on: June 16, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »
Pink Eyes was delightful.  What a fine young gentleman he appears to be.

The Michael K call was a minor classic, recalling some of Tom & Spike's Abbott & Costello riffs. "A pile of green like you put on a salad."  If Mike's gonna drop stuff like that, he can call every week.  I still find his Pitts accent intoxicating (in a good way).

Milo became a true star last night.  He's the real deal.  This is the kid we've all been waiting for in the post-Petey era.  Mac turfed out hard and August faded away.  This is Milo's time.  Fave moment: nixing Spike as a name for the wolf because "Spike hates children."

The D&D talk reminded me of the amazing D&D scene in the Freaks & Geeks finale with Milo as Sam Weir. 
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4345 on: June 16, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »

Milo became a true star last night.  He's the real deal.  This is the kid we've all been waiting for in the post-Petey era.  Mac turfed out hard and August faded away.  This is Milo's time.  Fave moment: nixing Spike as a name for the wolf because "Spike hates children."

Milo is indeed great.  I love how he calls in with his own topics that are so refreshingly basic. Rubik's Cube. D&D.  I also loved several weeks ago when he called in for the topic "What am I doing? I'm better than this." He started the call by asking "Does sleepwalking count?"  That cracked me up.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4346 on: June 16, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »

Milo is indeed great.  I love how he calls in with his own topics that are so refreshingly basic. Rubik's Cube. D&D.  I also loved several weeks ago when he called in for the topic "What am I doing? I'm better than this." He started the call by asking "Does sleepwalking count?"  That cracked me up.

The best thing was this was sequenced like a DJ would lay down a set of records. It went from Spike, claiming he's addicted to twitter into Michael K, who got gomped after probably the weirdest call he's ever done. PFT & Tom are gasping with laughter as it goes into Milo's call, and PFT goes "Hello, Miss?"
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4347 on: June 16, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »
The most exciting part for me was calling in for the first time, the worst was turfing out on the call. I was having a hard time hearing what was going on and should have called from a better phone.

Aside from my debut, a high quality show. Always great when PFT is on the show, and as a fan of Wally it was cool to talk to him.

Congrats on your first call!!! I feel like my 2 calls haven't been very good because of my extreme nervousness and the fact that I kept talking over Tom at some point. I can't believe he didn't hang up on me! It is sometimes hard to hear, but AC said that it works kind of like a walkie-talkie system. That makes more sense to me now. Thanks again AC!

I am also in the Milo Fan Club! I haven't gone back to listen to the archive yet, but I did enjoy the story about the funeral/reception.
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4348 on: June 16, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
I also have a bullshit phone, so I sound like crap every time I call.

I guess the phone isn't bullshit, it's AT&T. I don't really know what to do about it since I don't have a landline anymore. If I break contract to go with another carrier, they might suck worse.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4349 on: June 16, 2010, 03:11:13 PM »
Next time, I'm just writing everything out beforehand like Patton Oswalt did in 'Big Fan'. I really should have known better. The walkie-talkie analogy is a good one.

Also thanks, badgrammer, and I think you've done well, never fear.