Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777765 times)

Pidgeon

Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #4635 on: August 04, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
Was it intentional or unintentional to follow the send-up of ironic, hipster, low-culture worship with the disingenuous ironic interview with Luther Campbell?  "Too Live Crew songs are so stupid. It's great."

I think I'm in the minority, but it didn't work for me. I would have preferred if Tom and Luke argued about their differences (which is what Luke expected) rather than Tom/John pretending to be fans.

Irony gets such a bad reputation now, but I think it was done alright here.

robertc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4636 on: August 04, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
I miss Mike, the good cop, bad cop routine worked really well on the Kevin Smith interview, and the question he tweeted, while exceedingly rude, worked well in the same vein.

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4637 on: August 04, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »
Tom's impersonation of Nashville Skyline-era Dylan was uncanny!
I think that might have been my favorite part. My wife thought it was hilarious because she hates "Lay Lady Lay" because "he's actually trying to sing." All of Damian's call was great.
"Dad gets mad."

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4639 on: August 04, 2010, 11:13:28 PM »
And also:

"Anytime I do a song I never write it ... I never write the song down. It's just, you know, if I experienced it ... I think that's what real art is. If you experience something, and write about it ... or just sing about it ... it should just come right off the top".

-- Sir Luther Campbell, discussing the creative process that informed his song "Face Down, A-- Up".
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

dvdv

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4640 on: August 05, 2010, 05:37:57 AM »
Was it intentional or unintentional to follow the send-up of ironic, hipster, low-culture worship with the disingenuous ironic interview with Luther Campbell?  "Too Live Crew songs are so stupid. It's great."

I think I'm in the minority, but it didn't work for me. I would have preferred if Tom and Luke argued about their differences (which is what Luke expected) rather than Tom/John pretending to be fans.

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Tom and Jon pretending to be fans stunk of elitism, cowardice, and, above all else, ignorance.  Dismiss him for the content of his lyrics if you want but Luther Campbell is a VERY important figure in the history of Southern hip hop.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4641 on: August 05, 2010, 07:22:30 AM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Tom and Jon pretending to be fans stunk of elitism, cowardice, and, above all else, ignorance.  Dismiss him for the content of his lyrics if you want but Luther Campbell is a VERY important figure in the history of Southern hip hop.

Best Show ain't Point/Counterpoint, JohnU & dvdv.

Also, do you think maybe Luke could've bothered to check into what show he was calling in? He and Tom had been fighting for at least a week on twitter and Tom was trying to get him to come on that show for most of that time. It's not like Best Show is some secret Borat thing. Tom read Luke's tweet on the air, posted hours before he was due to call in:

I am going on some shit radio show tonight I don't no shit about don't no where its aired     
6:56 PM Aug 3rd  via Twitter for Android 

And if this post isn't kiss ass enough, I'll also point out that Tom and Jon aren't exactly nobodies in music either- they both have history going back a couple of decades.

Besides, in the end Luke had a good time, and he was totally a good sport. It's pretty clear that Jon was being a total dork - within the first minute he said "My snake is missing", and you'd have to be a complete moron not to see what was up right there.  Luke is very likely familiar with wacky radio show stuff, even if Best Show is several cuts above that shit. He went along with it - even afterward ... go pull up his twitter feed and read it if you don't believe me.

So don't worry about Luke's spot in the Southern Hip-Hop pantheon.

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4642 on: August 05, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
So it would be better if they just told him they think he stinks, and is talentless? Would that better comport with how you're supposed to treat an "important" figure?

Tom took the same approach when Kevin Smith called.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4643 on: August 05, 2010, 07:25:12 AM »

That's right! I forgot about that.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4644 on: August 05, 2010, 07:48:43 AM »
I'm still mad over Tom's mockery of Cy the Hole Guy, an important figure in the history of Southern hole-digging.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4645 on: August 05, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »

That's right! I forgot about that.

The Sanjaya call from September 8, 2009 was also sort of similar ... in that Tom played it somewhat straight while allowing Jon W. to throw out ridiculous questions. I still can't believe Sanjaya was on the Best Show.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4646 on: August 05, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »

The Sanjaya call from September 8, 2009 was also sort of similar ... in that Tom played it somewhat straight while allowing Jon W. to throw out ridiculous questions. I still can't believe Sanjaya was on the Best Show.

Sorry, I meant to say "Karl the repairman".

Pidgeon

« Reply #4647 on: August 05, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »

Intelligent people take Southern hip hop seriously? I mean, I think it all stinks but the Southern brand takes it to another level.

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4648 on: August 05, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »

Intelligent people take Southern hip hop seriously? I mean, I think it all stinks but the Southern brand takes it to another level.

Ooh one of us is wrong.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4649 on: August 05, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
HARDCORE HIP HOP STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN, PETS !!!!
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.