Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778661 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #4650 on: August 05, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »
I prefer northern hip hop:  Buck 65, Million Stylez, Werd (S.O.S), etc.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4651 on: August 05, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »
All these arguments are immaterial. As Luke explained on the show, he is more of a Rock and Roll guy than a rap guy. Peter Frampton. Steve Miller. Luther Campbell. There is a direct lineage.

He said so.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

mahgeetah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4652 on: August 05, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »
All these arguments are immaterial. As Luke explained on the show, he is more of a Rock and Roll guy than a rap guy. Peter Frampton. Steve Miller. Luther Campbell. There is a direct lineage.

He said so.

In retrospect, this was my favorite moment of last night's show.
I'm in my late 50's.

betheboy

« Reply #4653 on: August 05, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »
HARDCORE HIP HOP STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN, PETS !!!!

The best thing about your cometary Spike is that it's never predictable or tiresome.

Pidgeon

« Reply #4654 on: August 05, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »

The best thing about your cometary Spike is that it's never predictable or tiresome.

I wont start complaining about Spike quite yet. When I start using "pet" as a term of endearment, on the other hand...

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4655 on: August 05, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »

I wont start complaining about Spike quite yet. When I start using "pet" as a term of endearment, on the other hand...

Worst moment of last night's show happened 10 minutes ago.   When I realized what Tom was saying to Larry and Spike.

I pledge not to call the Dusty Show (or any other) until the premium arrives.

I don't want to exercise the Grandfather escape clause.

Julie stay quiet, please.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4656 on: August 05, 2010, 10:18:06 PM »
Tom's impersonation of Nashville Skyline-era Dylan was uncanny!

It was a pretty great impression. I'd put it right below his Isabel Sanford.

I've cooled a lot on Bob Dylan since I was in high school, but I still have a soft spot for NASHVILLE SKYLINE. The guy just wanted to sing some country winners!

My favorite from that record:

bob dylan - Tell me that it isn't true
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #4657 on: August 05, 2010, 10:27:31 PM »
Tom's impersonation of Nashville Skyline-era Dylan was uncanny!

I've cooled a lot on Bob Dylan since I was in high school, but I still have a soft spot for NASHVILLE SKYLINE. The guy just wanted to sing some country winners!

Yeah, it's possibly my favorite bob album maybe just for its conspicuousness.

Pidgeon

« Reply #4658 on: August 05, 2010, 10:32:14 PM »
If not for the motorcycle accident, I think he would have probably spent the next ten years trying to make another 'Blonde on Blonde.'

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4659 on: August 05, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
Fredericks -

I am requesting that you call whenever it strikes you. Because you call with things to say and it's an enjoyable conversation almost every time.

The situation that I am dealing with has absolutely zero to do with you.

Please continue to call.

Tom.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4660 on: August 05, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »
Fredericks -

Please continue to call.

You betcha, Thomas.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4661 on: August 06, 2010, 12:43:29 AM »
I dunno how many people here know this, but for what it's worth, if you go back to the very earliest Dylan recordings, made back in Hibbing when he was in his teens, there are some that sound uncannily like his Nashville Skyline voice.  It's eerie.

If not for the motorcycle accident, I think he would have probably spent the next ten years trying to make another 'Blonde on Blonde.'

The evidence is kinda mixed.  The hotel-room recordings he made on the '66 tour suggest that he was considering turning toward a more straightforwardly confessional love song (and if he'd gone on to record and release "Does She Need Me?" he might have had to fight a lawsuit like George Harrison's for stealing the melody of Bobby Bland's "Share Your Love with Me.")  On the other hand, in Scorsese's "No Direction Home" doc, there's a scene where he spontaneously riffs off some advertising signs to produce a word salad that foreshadows the wilder verbal surrealism of "The Basement Tapes."

Oh, uh, we were talking about the best/worst moments from last night's show?

Well, I laughed the hardest when Tom just could not find the words ("stomach-churning" was one he tried) to describe the sheer depravity of AP Mike's question for Uncle Luke--when he himself said at the beginning of the show that that's what he wanted to ask him.

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Kim Kelly

« Reply #4662 on: August 06, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
Was it intentional or unintentional to follow the send-up of ironic, hipster, low-culture worship with the disingenuous ironic interview with Luther Campbell?  "Too Live Crew songs are so stupid. It's great."

I think I'm in the minority, but it didn't work for me. I would have preferred if Tom and Luke argued about their differences (which is what Luke expected) rather than Tom/John pretending to be fans.

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Tom and Jon pretending to be fans stunk of elitism, cowardice, and, above all else, ignorance.  Dismiss him for the content of his lyrics if you want but Luther Campbell is a VERY important figure in the history of Southern hip hop.

as someone who has met him, i can also say he's creepy. BELIEVE IT OR NOT.
Too soon?

Kim Kelly

« Reply #4663 on: August 06, 2010, 12:23:14 PM »
Was it intentional or unintentional to follow the send-up of ironic, hipster, low-culture worship with the disingenuous ironic interview with Luther Campbell?  "Too Live Crew songs are so stupid. It's great."

I think I'm in the minority, but it didn't work for me. I would have preferred if Tom and Luke argued about their differences (which is what Luke expected) rather than Tom/John pretending to be fans.

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Tom and Jon pretending to be fans stunk of elitism, cowardice, and, above all else, ignorance.  Dismiss him for the content of his lyrics if you want but Luther Campbell is a VERY important figure in the history of Southern hip hop.

Intelligent people take Southern hip hop seriously? I mean, I think it all stinks but the Southern brand takes it to another level.

Ooh one of us is wrong.

hint: it's Alex P.
Too soon?