Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778582 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #4680 on: August 08, 2010, 06:48:17 PM »
Fair enough. I shouldn't judge the man based on the one movie--my comment followed from a reference to "Dont Look Back."  I just remember my reaction to it ("Man, I don't like this guy") as being at odds with the critical consensus of it showing How Geniuses are Different. Also, he was young at the time, and as people who know me can attest, the young can be insufferable.

We might put up with more from someone if they make up for it in other ways, but I just don't buy that there's a causation.

For that matter, some people who seem to be amoral predators can be the nicest folks in the world.  According to Zach Galifianakis, this is apparently the case with Karl Rove.

ErnieWV

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4681 on: August 08, 2010, 07:29:01 PM »
Thanks for the thoughtful response yesno. I suppose I do give Dylan a pass because of what he meant to me as a callow youth and maybe to be fair I should look at some of the film that might put him in a negative light. I've certainly heard stories about him that would indicate he's not a nice person, but I guess I'm just content to listen to the music although I must admit I haven't paid much attention to his later work.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4682 on: August 08, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »
Harlan Ellison wrote a very long essay essentially going into how so many sci-fi fans were truly horrible people who did awful things, re-telling stories he'd heard from other sci-fi authors about fans doing terrible things like being inarticulate or throwing cups of vomit on authors. It's called 'Xenogenesis', and I'm betting it's online somewhere...

ErnieWV

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4683 on: August 09, 2010, 06:36:42 AM »
Thanks Steve I'll check that out it may support my contention that some of these artists are rude in response to rudeness from fans. When I saw Harlan speak my problem with him was utter narcissism. I got the feeling that the critical acclaim he received had totally gone to his head and he wanted to speak more about himself and his greatness than about his  writing, which is what I was interested in learning about.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4684 on: August 09, 2010, 07:08:13 AM »
Fredericks -

I am requesting that you call whenever it strikes you. Because you call with things to say and it's an enjoyable conversation almost every time.

The situation that I am dealing with has absolutely zero to do with you.

Please continue to call.

Tom.

As long as he (and little MYLO)  is NOT the first caller.

CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4685 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:51 AM »
I think Mylo as first caller makes sense - don't want the youngsters having to stay up too late...

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4686 on: August 09, 2010, 10:06:51 AM »
I think Mylo as first caller makes sense - don't want the youngsters having to stay up too late...

Get what you're saying, Steve.

Little guy needs his rest.

I will act accordingly.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

mahgeetah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4687 on: August 09, 2010, 10:16:25 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it, Tom knows all and sees all, and I think there was more to the LDP ban than just his call to Shut Up Weirdo

My take is that Tom was getting sick of LDP calling multiple times during a show with nothing to talk about. Recent topics such as "How is your summer?" and week-old twitter conversations are two examples. I have to say that I agree.

Also, I enjoyed this exchange about Dylan. everybody said what I though, but more cogently. The only thing I would add is that he came off like a dick in Don't Look Back, and that he comes off like a dick now with his on-stage "persona." Was there an interstitial time when he wasn't a dick?

I'm in my late 50's.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4688 on: August 09, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »
I don't find him that a dick at present, as far as I can determine from a vastly mediated distance.  The interviews he gives now, at least, are more straightforward and generous-spirited than they've ever been.  But if you don't like his stage-patterless perormances, you may find him dickish.  That said, he seems to have been at least kind of a fun guy, even if ruthlessly ambitious, back in the Greenwich Village days.  When he became the Voice of His Generation, the unprecedented burden of expectations placed on him so far exceeded anything you or I can imagine that I can't quite begrudge him a little character damage.  After the motorcycle accident he seems to have become a more humble fellow and dedicated family man.  Of course, eventually, his music began to suffer from too much unassuming niceness.  Then he appears to have become something of a dick again, went through an ugly divorce (much of the ugliness, it must be said, apparently coming from his end) and, in my view, he achieved his absolute apex of insufferable dickishness starting with the Rolling Thunder era, moving through his Neil Diamond period and on through the Christian period.  Then he spent most of the 80's not knowing which the fuck end was up.  I don't have much sense of how dickish he was personally at this point, but he was definitely lost, doing a LOT of drinking, and behaving eccentrically.

My sense is that from the mid-90s up to now he's learned how to deal maturely with his fame in a way that's pretty admirable, given the odds against it when you look at comparable cases, but again, what the hell do I know?  Only what I read in the papers.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4689 on: August 09, 2010, 08:14:16 PM »
Was it intentional or unintentional to follow the send-up of ironic, hipster, low-culture worship with the disingenuous ironic interview with Luther Campbell?  "Too Live Crew songs are so stupid. It's great."

I think I'm in the minority, but it didn't work for me. I would have preferred if Tom and Luke argued about their differences (which is what Luke expected) rather than Tom/John pretending to be fans.

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Tom and Jon pretending to be fans stunk of elitism, cowardice, and, above all else, ignorance.  Dismiss him for the content of his lyrics if you want but Luther Campbell is a VERY important figure in the history of Southern hip hop.

Intelligent people take Southern hip hop seriously? I mean, I think it all stinks but the Southern brand takes it to another level.

Goodie Mob's "Soul Food" doesn't do it for you? No Outkast? Three Six's "Mystic Stylez" is dark as hell, but it was the first time I ever heard a rap group, much less a southern rap group, diss the notion of God.  I, respectfully, disagree with your bias against Southern Rap as a whole.

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4690 on: August 09, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »
Fair enough. I shouldn't judge the man based on the one movie--my comment followed from a reference to "Dont Look Back."  I just remember my reaction to it ("Man, I don't like this guy") as being at odds with the critical consensus of it showing How Geniuses are Different. Also, he was young at the time, and as people who know me can attest, the young can be insufferable.

We might put up with more from someone if they make up for it in other ways, but I just don't buy that there's a causation.

For that matter, some people who seem to be amoral predators can be the nicest folks in the world.  According to Zach Galifianakis, this is apparently the case with Karl Rove.

I think yesno's original point of "Don't Look Back" being a crappy movie is totally merited. I enjoy Dylan's music...but watching this pretentious, ego-masturbating crap was too much for me. I think it's totally possible to dislike the person, but enjoy the music.

Speaking of overrated movies themed around music legends, "Across the Universe" made me want to destroy.

ErnieWV

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4691 on: August 09, 2010, 09:33:52 PM »
I think what I'll take away from this discussion is don't look at Don't Look Back. I haven't seen Across The Universe either so I'll consider that I've dodged a bullet.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4692 on: August 09, 2010, 10:29:38 PM »
I went in to Across the Universe fully expecting it to be the most ludicrous thing ever made, and it fulfilled my expectations. So I actually kind of enjoyed it on that level. I think it's ludicrousness was made more enjoyable by the fact that the filmmakers were actually attempting to do something good ... as opposed to the Robert Stigwood-Frampton-BeeGees "Sergeant Pepper" movie.

What about "Give My Regards to Broad Street"? The McCartney movie musical. Anybody ever see that one? Anybody want to take that bullet for me?
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4693 on: August 09, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »
I went in to Across the Universe fully expecting it to be the most ludicrous thing ever made, and it fulfilled my expectations. So I actually kind of enjoyed it on that level. I think it's ludicrousness was made more enjoyable by the fact that the filmmakers were actually attempting to do something good ... as opposed to the Robert Stigwood-Frampton-BeeGees "Sergeant Pepper" movie.

What about "Give My Regards to Broad Street"? The McCartney movie musical. Anybody ever see that one? Anybody want to take that bullet mullet for me?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4694 on: August 11, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »
I have to say, I'm still grumping about that Hurley album.

I mean, what is that all about for crying out loud?

Is it out? Has anyone heard it?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?