Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777814 times)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #4695 on: August 11, 2010, 10:59:02 AM »
I have to say, I'm still grumping about that Hurley album.

I mean, what is that all about for crying out loud?

Is it out? Has anyone heard it?

Michael Hurley, Auntie?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4696 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:49 AM »
I have to say, I'm still grumping about that Hurley album.

I mean, what is that all about for crying out loud?

Is it out? Has anyone heard it?

Michael Hurley, Auntie?

No, Weezer's new album.

The cover pic is this but cropped to just a head shot, but it's not really turning up anywhere online except amazon. I wonder if this is all some big wacky ironic joke.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4697 on: August 11, 2010, 12:15:05 PM »
this one Orange County (CA) pop punk bang Lagwagon did the same thing with Hoss from Bonanza:

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4698 on: August 11, 2010, 12:20:32 PM »
this one Orange County (CA) pop punk bang Lagwagon did the same thing with Hoss from Bonanza:

Well, now ... Hoss I get.

mackro

« Reply #4699 on: August 11, 2010, 12:35:51 PM »
Well, I doubt Lagwagon was hugging Dan Blocker before or during the shoot.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4700 on: August 11, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
Candy from Brooklyn ... wow. Book-ending the show with her insane karaoke. That was a stirring rendition of "Angel of Harlem" she was doing towards the end of the show. God knows what she was singing when Tom first picked up the phone on her first call, early in the show. She was singing something in a very Bryce-like register.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

mackro

« Reply #4701 on: August 11, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »
Best moment was the three part anti-Spike guy -> Spike -> JW jam near the beginning of the show, then Tom riffing on Spike's NBC jingle tonic.

Hopefully someone with actual drawing talent (i.e. not me) can draw the NBC peacock saying "Try AGAIN, Pet" sitting on a gray crate listening to the Best Show on a giant radio sitting on a folding table.

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4702 on: August 11, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »
Anyone know who Candy is? I had a feeling Tom was familiar with her. She is great! Her call at the end of the show was very very funny.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4703 on: August 11, 2010, 01:17:44 PM »
Anyone know who Candy is? I had a feeling Tom was familiar with her. She is great! Her call at the end of the show was very very funny.

Yes, she's awesome & her calls last night were totally cute. She was on the show once a number of months back ... one of the 6 hour shows, I think. She knows Tom & Jillian Barberie and is at many of the WFMU things - I also was at one of the marathons with her & we rode home on the subways to Brooklyn all sleepy & tired afterward.

betheboy

« Reply #4704 on: August 11, 2010, 01:26:57 PM »

Yes, she's awesome & her calls last night were totally cute. She was on the show once a number of months back ... one of the 6 hour shows, I think. She knows Tom & Jillian Barberie and is at many of the WFMU things - I also was at one of the marathons with her & we rode home on the subways to Brooklyn all sleepy & tired afterward.

Candy did appear in studio with Therese and Terre T during the last 6 hour show. I recall Larry D. Pervison trying to chat her up.

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4705 on: August 11, 2010, 01:47:02 PM »
Best: Angel of Harlem and the no mosque at ground zero song.

worst: Ripping on Bill Hicks. I like Hicks. It isn't his fault that hack comedians want to be him.

betheboy

« Reply #4706 on: August 11, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »
Worst:  Geneva's(?) call
I've never posted before... but I felt the need to vent my rage at these calls. They are infuriatingly boring,  and I.. just.. can't.. take.. the .. giggles ..anymore.

If you're feeling rage based on a call I recommend taking a deep breath and relaxing. Geneva is top notch.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4707 on: August 11, 2010, 02:23:55 PM »

worst: Ripping on Bill Hicks. I like Hicks. It isn't his fault that hack comedians want to be him.

If anything, we should rip on the keepers of his legacy. In addition to the Rykodisc albums, they've released so many recordings of his shows that his act was essentially run into the ground at least a decade ago. I loved him when he was out there and working - every time he was on Letterman was a definite tune-in night - but I really don't need to hear his stuff ever again.

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4708 on: August 11, 2010, 02:29:37 PM »
I thought Ron White was Bill Hicks until I wiki'd him this morning to find out how "Ron White" died.  :o

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4709 on: August 11, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
Worst:  Geneva's(?) call
I've never posted before... but I felt the need to vent my rage at these calls. They are infuriatingly boring,  and I.. just.. can't.. take.. the .. giggles ..anymore.

If you're feeling rage based on a call I recommend taking a deep breath and relaxing. Geneva is top notch.

It's okay. I don't really think I'm the best caller either, so I can take the heat. However, I haven't been heave-ho'd yet, so maybe I'm not doing something totally wrong...
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer