Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778168 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #4875 on: September 01, 2010, 04:54:49 PM »
On a similar note I wonder will 'I got friends in low places' be left in there.

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4876 on: September 01, 2010, 05:35:49 PM »
Perhaps there should be a new category for The Best Show Awards, the least expected/the best cameo/walk on by an FOT during a call from Newbridge. Laurie from Miami...that was great! Also LJP with great/funny stories, and Tom singing his heart out. Also..Candace, perfect timing. And PFT, great show all around...just listened to the last part. I'm going to miss Tom and TBS.

betheboy

« Reply #4877 on: September 01, 2010, 06:13:16 PM »
"You're a very funny boy."

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4878 on: September 01, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
worst moment: "I'm sick of that guy" after heave ho'ing Jeff in Seattle. Good guys lose. I enjoyed his David Cross story.

betheboy

« Reply #4879 on: September 01, 2010, 06:51:15 PM »
One more thing: Stellar call from Auntie Christina last night.

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4880 on: September 01, 2010, 08:40:35 PM »
Paul F. Tompkins under the spell of Ben Karakh.

"Bitten by a radioactive Ben Kharakh"

I loved it!

This killed me. And LJP's Tonight Show reminiscences were awesome as well
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4881 on: September 01, 2010, 11:11:45 PM »
I just got to the "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" rendition and I have to say that if Tom isn't the sixth Beach boy, I don't--wait, I mean including David Marks, if Tom isn't the seventh Beach Boy, then...uh, hold on.  Bruce Johnston.  Yeah well, the eighth Beach Boy, that's Tom by golly.  Unless, well, Blondie Chaplin and that other South African guy...Tenth Beach Boy!  That's Tom!  Oh shit, Glen Campbell, well...if Tom isn't the eleventh Beach Boy then I just don't know who the hell is!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4882 on: September 01, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »
Murry Wilson?  Members of Al Jardine's Beach Boys Family and Friends?  No! Tom!  Number eleven!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4883 on: September 02, 2010, 02:33:54 AM »
So now Tom's got me obsessed with that Beach Boys song. Here's the amazing a capella version:

I just wasn't made for these times a capella

If you search on EweTube, you can also find a nice version of that song by Aimee Mann and Michael Penn ... Which kinda squares the circle back to Tom's all-time classic singalong with "Wise Up":

Magnolia - Wise Up

Currently the top-rated comment for the latter video is:
This version isn't the correct version from the movie. There is another male voice singing that shouldn't be there. Maybe the poster patched it in for a shameless self-plug. Seriously, compare it to other versions on youtube and you'll see that you are being hoodwinked here.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4884 on: September 02, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »
I didn't get to listen to tonight's show yet but did Dave From Knoxville call in? Im anxiously waiting for a Patton Oswalt and Amy Mann concert story.

I did not. I can't ever get past the busy signal. I haven't seen Aimee M yet, and it looks like I may not be able to; it's a bad date, conflicting with a kid-related commitment.

I have not bailed on the show; it's popularity is grinding me under its heels.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4885 on: September 02, 2010, 11:09:13 AM »
One more thing: Stellar call from Auntie Christina last night.

Bah! It is so weird to be on the phone b/c it's such an unnatural thing to call in and have a conversation on the show. When I'm talking to Tom I think I'm saying stuff a certain way & getting a certain point across. Then when I heard the archive I was just a rambling sycophant - I think I started 5 sentences and went up and down several bunny trails.

I was trying to make this point about how Tom's trying not to let this thing he does for free drain him and everybody's first response was "NO DON'T GO WE NEEEEED YOU!!!!" And the Carter thing was like, he was trying to get the country to conserve & change their behavior to staunch the flow of inflation, and everybody turned on him b/c they wanted double helpings of everything, now, right away. That and the hostage situation drove us straight into the arms of Reagan. So then Carter goes away & does all this amazing stuff with Habitat for Humanity and peace negotiations and election monitoring in fledgling states and he wins a Nobel prize.

There just seemed to be a Scharpling parallel is all.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4886 on: September 02, 2010, 11:18:49 AM »
I just got to the "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" rendition and I have to say that if Tom isn't the sixth Beach boy,

Pet Sounds is a very unsettling album. Those lyrics paired with that Beach Boy sound ... just about every song on that thing is not what it seems to be.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4887 on: September 02, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
Bah! It is so weird to be on the phone b/c it's such an unnatural thing to call in and have a conversation on the show. When I'm talking to Tom I think I'm saying stuff a certain way & getting a certain point across. Then when I heard the archive I was just a rambling...

That pretty much sums up my Best Show calling experiences, Auntie.

Then, if things go as planned, it's just as disorientating.

It's a wonderful and unique feeling.  Everyone should try it. 

At least once.

"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4888 on: September 02, 2010, 05:02:24 PM »

It is so weird to be on the phone b/c it's such an unnatural thing to call in and have a conversation on the show. When I'm talking to Tom I think I'm saying stuff a certain way & getting a certain point across.

Oh man.  Those are exactly the thoughts I have been having since my fateful call this week.  I was trying to set up a situation on the air where Tom could rip my idea to shreds on the air and show how such things need to be left to the professionals.  But when I listen now, it sounds like I was sincerely trying to make a screenplay pitch on the air (cringe).  I would have blown my top too if I was Tom. 

Oh well, I enjoyed talking to him about Laurie Anderson before the call imploded.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

betheboy

« Reply #4889 on: September 02, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »

It is so weird to be on the phone b/c it's such an unnatural thing to call in and have a conversation on the show. When I'm talking to Tom I think I'm saying stuff a certain way & getting a certain point across.

Oh man.  Those are exactly the thoughts I have been having since my fateful call this week.  I was trying to set up a situation on the air where Tom could rip my idea to shreds on the air and show how such things need to be left to the professionals.  But when I listen now, it sounds like I was sincerely trying to make a screenplay pitch on the air (cringe).  I would have blown my top too if I was Tom. 

Oh well, I enjoyed talking to him about Laurie Anderson before the call imploded.

Jon, it should be noted that it was a very good call up until that point.

Now before you say well "The Titanic was a nice boat ride before the iceberg" remember that it was just a phone call. Also I think we can all agree that if Tom was the captain of the Titanic it would have gotten to port safely, same goes for the Hindenburg. If you're looking to call in with a new screenplay idea try pitching a script where Tom Travels through time to prevent disasters.