Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778370 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #4890 on: September 02, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
Jon -

Your call was great. I appreciated it. I was in a horrible mood and anybody would've been eaten alive in that spot. Thank you for being such a good sport.

Tom.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4891 on: September 02, 2010, 10:32:06 PM »
I just got to the "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" rendition and I have to say that if Tom isn't the sixth Beach boy, I don't--wait, I mean including David Marks, if Tom isn't the seventh Beach Boy, then...uh, hold on.  Bruce Johnston.  Yeah well, the eighth Beach Boy, that's Tom by golly.  Unless, well, Blondie Chaplin and that other South African guy...Tenth Beach Boy!  That's Tom!  Oh shit, Glen Campbell, well...if Tom isn't the eleventh Beach Boy then I just don't know who the hell is!

Don't even tell me you're ranking Tom ahead of John Stamos.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4892 on: September 02, 2010, 11:24:59 PM »
I'm still scarred by the episode where Stamos was trying to drum for the Beach Boys in the studio and he kept screwing up and Mike Love and them were making faces and giving him the thumbs down. I wish you hadn't reminded me of that.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4893 on: September 03, 2010, 12:47:50 AM »
Jon -

Your call was great. I appreciated it. I was in a horrible mood and anybody would've been eaten alive in that spot. Thank you for being such a good sport.

Tom.

Thank you, Tom. And thank you, Be The Boy.  The show's got teeth, and that's one of the things that makes it great. 

Calling in will always be a tightrope walk with a revved up steamroller waiting below, and it will be a sad day when that bizarre, labored metaphor is no longer accurate.

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4894 on: September 03, 2010, 01:08:56 AM »
If Milo does a Pudge, he could even keep the Idunnos.

Milo as mini-Pudge kind of seems like a no-brainer to me now that you brought it up. 
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

Sarah

« Reply #4895 on: September 03, 2010, 08:34:55 AM »
Perry Como: Still Alive!

SCTV, 10/16/81: "PERRY COMO: STILL ALIVE"

I have such fond memories of sitting next to my mother watching this, both of us roaring with laughter.   

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4896 on: September 03, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Tom and Jen both need hugs. Someone do that, and find a way to not be creepy about it.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4897 on: September 03, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »
Tom and Jen both need hugs. Someone do that, and find a way to not be creepy about it.

I'm on it; anybody got their cell phone #s?

AdamM

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4898 on: September 03, 2010, 08:54:33 PM »
Zack's call (right after Jon's) was so great. That may have been the best first-time call I've heard in my two years of Best Show listening. I'm impressed because, as one who has never called, he hung in there and rolled with the hilarious punches. Don't think I'd be able to do that smoothly. Hope he calls again. Good job.

Kiwi_Herman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4899 on: September 05, 2010, 02:38:47 PM »
All the highlights have been typed already i.e. Allin Fun Camp, The Beach Boys song. Another highlight was just the solid,long calls that night from Auntie Christina, Lisa J,Jen Kirkman, Paul F. and Todd Barry etc.

Sarah

« Reply #4900 on: September 05, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »
I enjoyed Tom's ill temper.

citizenlewis

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4901 on: September 07, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »
Jen Kirkman not having heard I Just Wasn't Made For These Times but saying she was a big Beach Boys fan was the best.  Weird.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4902 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »
Worst moment(s): This is an obvious one.  Whatizname from Illinois calling in, drunker and drunker.

Best moment: Pig from L.A. calling in at the end of the show to discuss Hammer's Addams Fam-uh-LEE rap.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4903 on: September 08, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »
Agree with Jon from Maplewood in re to the guy from Illinois being the worst moments.

I feel bad for saying it, but I think the best moment might have been Tom getting Jamesed. I think it's because it came right after the call from Lisa Jane Persky that seemed like it might have been turning the show's tone around.

I lost it over that James call.

Excellent show last night.
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

mahgeetah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4904 on: September 08, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
Tom's fight-threats are so great.

"I'll fight ya right in front of the Colgate clock! I'll knock ya right into the Hudson, where you'll get hit by a ferry!"
I'm in my late 50's.