Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778521 times)

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #5085 on: November 04, 2010, 12:39:29 AM »
Me too.  Where are kids priorities nowadays?
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5086 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:39 AM »
It was just a quick moment, but I loved the thing about the correct pronunciation of Phil Lynott's last name.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

mahgeetah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5087 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
I'm so glad to hear Tom talk about this:

1 - "Don't cater to the nerds any more."

2 - "Anybody doing anything 'just for the fans?' You're doomed."

And Christina from Brooklyn, your comment about the Watchmen movie making the comic look bad was so true.

SPEAKING TRUTH TO POWER, I love it :)
I'm in my late 50's.

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5088 on: November 04, 2010, 12:41:25 PM »
Once Steve from Chicago called in, this week's show really turned a corner and went into overdrive. I loved it, but I'm happy any time that Tom asks Mike to pull a record and he goes nuts telling the listeners what he loves or hates about it. If he sings, it is an added bonus. The Ziggy/Suffragette transition discussion was brilliant and completely improvised.

I've also loved the last few shows just for the Bowie discussion alone. Coincidentally, I became re-obsessed with 1970s Bowie this year, too, and to hear Tom describe his love for Hunky Dory, Ziggy, and Aladdin Sane in particular has been really wonderful and infectious.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5089 on: November 04, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »

And Christina from Brooklyn, your comment about the Watchmen movie making the comic look bad was so true.

SPEAKING TRUTH TO POWER, I love it :)

Yeah, there might be a reason why none of Alan Moore's comics work as movies. V for Vendetta stinks for instance. LOEG was an awful movie, but it's been so long since I read the comic I don't know if it was the fault of the source material.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

bakersfieldchimp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5090 on: November 04, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5091 on: November 04, 2010, 03:55:18 PM »
Once Steve from Chicago called in, this week's show really turned a corner and went into overdrive. I loved it, but I'm happy any time that Tom asks Mike to pull a record and he goes nuts telling the listeners what he loves or hates about it. If he sings, it is an added bonus. The Ziggy/Suffragette transition discussion was brilliant and completely improvised.

I've also loved the last few shows just for the Bowie discussion alone. Coincidentally, I became re-obsessed with 1970s Bowie this year, too, and to hear Tom describe his love for Hunky Dory, Ziggy, and Aladdin Sane in particular has been really wonderful and infectious.

Yup. I sat and listened to Ziggy Stardust in a good pair of headphones in its entirety later that night.

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5092 on: November 04, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
Regarding John Carpenter and the French loving him...

I can see how highbrow critics might appreciate Carpenter's Hawksian influences in ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, or detect the echoes of Val Lewton's RKO horror cycle in THE FOG.

But according to http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~ejohnson/critics/cahiers.html, CAHIERS DU CINEMA voted IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS the 10th best film of 1995.

On a side note, I love the way how once those critics have decided they like someone, they have to like EVERY film they make. So De Palma'a SNAKE EYES and MISSION TO MARS are up there. Even in the 50s - A KING IN NEW YORK? Really?

EDIT: As I was typing this, I was watching the 4th best film of 1958. Also, I just remembered a recent Carpenter interview where he says he hated Val Lewton's films.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5093 on: November 04, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »
I couldn't remember exactly what he'd said about the French loving him - went to the good ol' IMDB:

In France, I'm an auteur; in Germany, a filmmaker; in Britain; a genre film director; and, in the USA, a bum.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Zedmund

• Plantar Fasciitis

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5095 on: November 05, 2010, 10:03:49 PM »
"This is not what you bring when you're on the Pod F Tompkast."

"That's different."

"Oh, well excuse me!"

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5097 on: November 06, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »
Worst moment - all the text messages messing up the audio for the first half of the show.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5098 on: November 08, 2010, 12:19:27 AM »
Here's hoping that Bill Hader is listening next time Peter S calls and we get to hear an Alan Ald-off!