Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778061 times)

Riley

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #5115 on: November 10, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »
Does any dedicated FOT know the episode (and maybe where in the episode) Tom talks about Cee Lo's "F*** You" song? Wanted to show a friend who has similar opinions on the song. Thanks!

betheboy

« Reply #5116 on: November 10, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
"Paul F. Tompkins grew up at beautiful Mount Airy Lodge?"

As someone who has been singing the Mt. Airy Lodge song for 30+ years this got a big laugh out of me.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5117 on: November 10, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »
I only caught the first post-music 20 minutes or so, but I can say without any hesitation that the worst moment since I started listening was hearing that "Do It" was going to be replaced by a (choke) Queen song.  Gaaaahhh.

Upgrade.

While "Do It" offered a blast of thematic heft at first, it must be said that the song is absolutely terrible.

'Do It' is great for the first 30 seconds. Then it falls apart into the guitar jam...

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5118 on: November 10, 2010, 02:41:38 PM »
Shit, you could basically make the case that Rollins and Greg Ginn were like some kind of angry punk rock binary star ...they totally hated each other by the end, but I don't think either of them has been as good musically since Black Flag.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5119 on: November 10, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »
Well, there are people who inexplicably disagree with me on this, but Queen is about the most irredeemably wretched shit ever recorded. Sarah Palin's voice is like Mozart in comparison.  I'm just gonna have to turn the sound down for about three minutes and try to guess when the theme comes up.

You are not alone in your opinion re: Queen.

I like Rollins' Do It.  Particularly when compared to the original.  I liked the Fairies sentiment but not the presentation

I think Hank got it just right.  I even like the junk guitar solo.

Eh - Queen's a polarizing band, same as Steely Dan. You are either way on board with everything they do, or you cannot stand one second of their music.

Now Tom Waits ... I dunno. I don't think I hate him necessarily, more like I'm not interested in him. Even when I liked him a long time ago, I don't think I loved him.

I also have to say -- I had NO idea that "Do It" was a cover. I am a dumb.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5120 on: November 10, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5121 on: November 10, 2010, 04:52:49 PM »
VERY IMPORTANT to me:
A handful of months ago, Tom discussed attending a show for a band that hadn't played for a very long time. Tom played the album track and mimicked the WOOOO! yelling over it. WHAT WAS THAT BAND?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5122 on: November 10, 2010, 05:40:48 PM »
VERY IMPORTANT to me:
A handful of months ago, Tom discussed attending a show for a band that hadn't played for a very long time. Tom played the album track and mimicked the WOOOO! yelling over it. WHAT WAS THAT BAND?

Unrest - "I Do Believe You Are Blushing"

betheboy

« Reply #5123 on: November 10, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
To quote Drennan from Chicago:

I made mayonnaise.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5124 on: November 10, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »

I made mayonnaise.

That was great - so weird.  I also (don't judge) laughed at your GOMP because it was so unexpected and unwarranted.  Those are hot phones these days - especially for the lotta dudes.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #5125 on: November 10, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »

I made mayonnaise.

That was great - so weird.  I also (don't judge) laughed at your GOMP because it was so unexpected and unwarranted.  Those are hot phones these days - especially for the lotta dudes.

I won't lie: I have never called the show but I picked up the phone this week and last week to contribute to the topic but I didn't pull the trigger because I didn't want to be "another dude?" caller. However, a young woman did call in late with a "How much would it take..." that was pretty close to mine. (mine was 'How much would it take to watch the top ten movies in Mike's Netflix cue - sight unseen - over a weekend?')

The "I made mayonnaise" was really funny. It was the way he said it too, like someone said to him, "You never do anything around the house!"

"I made mayonnaise." *shrug*
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5126 on: November 10, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »
"Am I or am I not speaking to wallflowersman98?"

betheboy

« Reply #5127 on: November 10, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »

[/quote]

I didn't realize that I got Heave Ho'd at first, I thought my phone dropped the call. I didn't realize it until @EFD told me on Twitter.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5128 on: November 10, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
Now Tom Waits ... I dunno. I don't think I hate him necessarily, more like I'm not interested in him. Even when I liked him a long time ago, I don't think I loved him.

What's really strange is that I'd never really heard of anyone NOT liking Tom Waits until I started listening, and now I appear to be in the minority for liking him.

He's the kinda guy I like but I can see why others wouldn't like him, although Tom's argument that his voice is fake seems kinda weird and immaterial. I thought changing your appearance in order to make yourself more entertaining/compelling/whatever was the point of art or entertainment. For Tom to complain about a musician changing his appearance from "real life" in light of the recent Bowie obsession seems REALLY strange and ironic to me, but whatever. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I just like arguing about stuff like this because I'm a nerd.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #5129 on: November 10, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
The Radioactive Calzone from Hell re-enacting the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" with an older gentleman's prostectic leg "sort of against his will."

"Edgy...there are some good jokes in that, though...they made it funny."

I like the Queen song AND Tom Waits. So there.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom