Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778332 times)

DS1077

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #5445 on: December 30, 2010, 07:55:34 PM »
The call from Ron Scharpling was amazing.  I've been a listener for a few years, but I can't remember - is that the first peak we've had into the Scharpling family mythology, the multiple brothers with rhyming names, etc?  Really funny stuff.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5446 on: December 30, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »
The call from Ron Scharpling was amazing.  I've been a listener for a few years, but I can't remember - is that the first peak we've had into the Scharpling family mythology, the multiple brothers with rhyming names, etc?  Really funny stuff.

Didn't his cousin call a few weeks ago?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5447 on: December 30, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
Tom's dad(dy) has called a couple of times - 12/2/03, 5/28/02 (this one is on a Stereolaffs CD), and 2/10/10. His brother Dom called 5/15/07. I can't think of any others.

I'll probably go into the wee hours.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5448 on: December 30, 2010, 10:42:10 PM »
Tom's nephew checked in on the 7th of December. (Ron's son, Caesar).
His cousin Willy called on March 16.
His fat cousin called in March of '09.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5449 on: December 30, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
The Darren "Greasy Funk" call includes a listing of various Scharpling brothers along with "San," a Korean exchange student the clan once hosted.  The Scharplings are like the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia without the powdered hydrocodone snorting and attempted murder arrests. (The Scharplings do indeed dance like Jesco, though, especially after a Four Loko and Soy Vanilla Latte binge.)
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5450 on: December 31, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
a Four Loko and Soy Vanilla Latte binge.)

I like excitement.  But that sounds dangerous.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5451 on: December 31, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
A little more here, from a recent, similar conversation.

http://friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php/topic,7298.15.html

The first Tom's Daddy call says that Tom only has four brothers and sisters, but now with the rhyming brothers, it seems like the clan is up to 10. 

Oh, I believe 2009 also saw calls from Tom's "ste-puncle" and his Godfather. 
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5452 on: January 01, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »
Tom: Let's put a little sizzle in that steak guys.
PFT (calmly): That's been a campaign of yours for quite a while.

The entire Mass discussion was pretty amazing.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5453 on: January 01, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »
I loved Tom's discussion of Graceland because he was able to place Elvis in context as a human being for once.

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5454 on: January 02, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »

Just realized that if Ron is Cesar's dad (or Caesar, but I prefer the former), the alliteration of Cesar Scharpling has been making me giddy for the last 30 minutes. Wonder if his middle name is Alva? He is the great-great-great-wizard of melon park.

Other favorite parts
-Drowning Pool alarm
-Most amazing emphasis on the word deigned I have ever heard so far.
-"I've played sixth fiddle to you guys my entire life."
Doing it Mentos style.

lauramaili

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5455 on: January 03, 2011, 01:14:59 AM »
"You put on a purple dress I thought it was a Grimace"
"You know that movie Minority Report? You're like  those weirdos in the tub."

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5456 on: January 03, 2011, 10:10:54 AM »
Oh, I nearly forgot ... did anyone recognize Bob, that weird dude who called twice several months ago? I think on his first call I was queued right behind him - I think I said on air that he sounded like Jackie Vernon. Like, more of a pixilated rather than a drunk guy? This time out he said he's never called, but I'm pretty sure it was him.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5457 on: January 03, 2011, 10:41:38 AM »
Oh, I nearly forgot ... did anyone recognize Bob, that weird dude who called twice several months ago? I think on his first call I was queued right behind him - I think I said on air that he sounded like Jackie Vernon. Like, more of a pixilated rather than a drunk guy? This time out he said he's never called, but I'm pretty sure it was him.

He's the Dave Brubeck guy, right? He wanted Tom to play some Jazz of the Dave Brubeck flavor. Did he also tell Tom he had cancer? Is this the same guy? He's called at least twice before.
"Dad gets mad."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5458 on: January 03, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »

He's the Dave Brubeck guy, right? He wanted Tom to play some Jazz of the Dave Brubeck flavor. Did he also tell Tom he had cancer? Is this the same guy? He's called at least twice before.

Yep.  He likes to say his name is "Joe".  I heard him suggest Tom "Spurling" may be a misogynist on Night People a while back.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5459 on: January 03, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »

Yes! That's him - and now that you mention it, I think Tom race-baited him over Brubeck as well. That Protocols of the Elders of Zion thing from last week absolutely killed me.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?