Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777799 times)

Pidgeon

Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #5565 on: January 14, 2011, 08:30:38 PM »
With South Park, it seems like it's usually coming from a libertarian point of view but occasionally picks on the right when there's a really easy target like Glenn Beck.

That being said, I'm unapologetically a huge fan of it.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5566 on: January 14, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »
I'm a little surprised Nick DiPaulo was not officially tossed into the Hate Pit. I'd say he should get Mickey Dolenz's old spot.

I do love how Tom holds a grudge over the slights.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5567 on: January 14, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »
"What are these guys biting through that they need teeth that strong?"

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5568 on: January 14, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »
I'm a little surprised Nick DiPaulo was not officially tossed into the Hate Pit. I'd say he should get Mickey Dolenz's old spot.

I thought he was.  The buildup, anticipation and subsequent payoff from the moment Tom brought up Louie until he got to revisiting the Nick DiPaulo stuff was a true highlight of the best show in ages.  The Hate Pit tour was also amazing.

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5569 on: January 14, 2011, 08:54:52 PM »
Family Guy, to me, is like that giant bag of junk food you know you shouldn't touch, but occasionally, you need a fix.  I like the show, but it's a true guilty pleasure, because I know I could be watching better stuff I know nothing about yet.

STILL, Family Guy -- while 99.9% unoriginal since Episode 1 -- can belt out a good episode once a season or two. This happened with their alternate universe episode (like i said, not original at all.)  The producer of that episode did a great job on the one part where they were in the D****y universe.

Very faint praise at best, but I give in to Family Guy at points.  I know, I know.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5570 on: January 14, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »

I thought he was.  The buildup, anticipation and subsequent payoff from the moment Tom brought up Louie until he got to revisiting the Nick DiPaulo stuff was a true highlight of the best show in ages.  The Hate Pit tour was also amazing.

Maybe he was. It's entirely possible I missed the point of it entirely.

By the way, Tom wasn't just being vindictive when he said Nick did a bad job of acting on LOUIE. The line where he says something like "You act like you're kidding , but you mean it" just stuck out to me as being awkward.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5571 on: January 15, 2011, 03:34:09 AM »
I have discovered the joy of listening to the podcasts (right now from June 2010) while walking around, getting coffee, eating lunch in Japanese restaurants, getting ready for work and for bed.  Thank you, Tom, Jon and guests, and thank you iPhone with your wonderful volume and on/off switch right on the headphones.

I could probably listen to John Hodgman and John Oliver and Tom riff for several days worth of podcasts.  And I liked Paul F. Tompkins' interaction with Milo.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steeley Chris

« Reply #5572 on: January 15, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
Oh my God--I'm just listening now and am almost in tears with gratitude--

That the soundtrack in The Hate Pit is the "Family Guy" theme on eternal replay.

I fucking hate that show SO MUCH. Everything about it makes my flesh crawl like the Human Centipede's caboose. You know, I've been listening to the Best Show for years and have never heard Tom express himself about it.  So many people seem to have no problem with that wretched piece of shite.  God bless you, Tom.

That whole Hate Pit tour was fantastic, but nothing has ever made me happier than hearing "The Family Guy" placed on a level with Chris Christie.

really?

i feel like there was a whole string of weeks where Tom ranted about family guy alot.

where's omar?

Tom has indeed previously expressed (2007-2008 era) displeasure with this FOX animated skein.
"This is just like the time...", "Remember the time...", "What about the time..."
"Dad gets mad."

Greggulator

« Reply #5573 on: January 15, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
The best part about this week's Best Show is Tom Scharpling trying to recruit me as a protege!

That's the best part of my entire life!
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5574 on: January 15, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »
Family Guy, to me, is like that giant bag of junk food you know you shouldn't touch, but occasionally, you need a fix.  I like the show, but it's a true guilty pleasure, because I know I could be watching better stuff I know nothing about yet.

I like to say it's like being tickled - yes, I will laugh once in a while despite myself, but it's never ever a pleasant experience.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5575 on: January 17, 2011, 10:13:34 AM »
Really enjoyed last Tuesday's show.

Particular highlights that come to mind:
Hate Pit Tour
Tom's Boston comments (especially the sports teams bit),
Tom jerking Spike around over Stanley/Stan Lee
The many, many Philly Boy Roy malapropisms (seemed like more than usual? but especially "Book Of Regulations"

And my 2 cents on the TV shows being discussed in this thread:
Family Guy - sucks. So so bad. It makes me hate the people I love who like it.
South Park - prone to moments of genius but largely mediocre (and i agree on the "both sides suck" comments made above)

and am I the only person here who (Sorry, Spike) doesn't like the Big Bang Theory and doesn't understand why that guy keeps winning all the awards (add a Golden Globe last night to the list) There are so many better shows... 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Community...even HIMYM (on a good day) is preferable to me. Someone get Nick Offerman a Globe/Emmy/People's Choice award for his portrayal of Ron Swanson on Parks & Recreation please.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Pidgeon

« Reply #5576 on: January 17, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »
Spike is the only person I've ever heard talk about The Big Bang Theory. I don't know anyone who watches it.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5577 on: January 17, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »

and am I the only person here who (Sorry, Spike) doesn't like the Big Bang Theory and doesn't understand why that guy keeps winning all the awards (add a Golden Globe last night to the list) There are so many better shows... 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Community...even HIMYM (on a good day) is preferable to me. Someone get Nick Offerman a Globe/Emmy/People's Choice award for his portrayal of Ron Swanson on Parks & Recreation please.

Big Bang Theory is not my favorite show (I have seen about five episodes or so, but I don't make any effort to watch it), but speaking as an actor, what Jim Parsons does as a performer is astounding. 

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5578 on: January 17, 2011, 02:17:12 PM »
Really enjoyed last Tuesday's show.

Particular highlights that come to mind:
Hate Pit Tour
Tom's Boston comments (especially the sports teams bit),
Tom jerking Spike around over Stanley/Stan Lee
The many, many Philly Boy Roy malapropisms (seemed like more than usual? but especially "Book Of Regulations"

And my 2 cents on the TV shows being discussed in this thread:
Family Guy - sucks. So so bad. It makes me hate the people I love who like it.
South Park - prone to moments of genius but largely mediocre (and i agree on the "both sides suck" comments made above)

'HOW I BEAT YOUR MOTHER' is right up there with 'GENERAL HOSPITAL'. Both are pieces of crap.
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5579 on: January 17, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »
What's this General Hospital animosity, Spike?