Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777900 times)

Alex_from_the_woods

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #5655 on: January 29, 2011, 08:09:10 AM »
He's out Fatty Arbuckle? I bet that one has people scrambling for google.
Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Exsanguination?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5656 on: January 29, 2011, 10:34:03 AM »
He's out Fatty Arbuckle? I bet that one has people scrambling for google.

Then I have done my job as an educator.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5657 on: January 29, 2011, 10:46:22 AM »
I know Fatty Arbuckle only as a source of parody in old cartoons.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5658 on: January 29, 2011, 11:19:05 AM »
Fatty was railroaded, big time. Jerry Stahl wrote a very good novel from his point of view, titled I, Fatty.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5659 on: January 29, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
Tom scores all the points. That's why he's KD. KD and Tom are the true People's Champ.

Another good Scharpling/NBA comparison -- Derrick Rose. I actually think that this might be better. D-Rose is the MVP this year so far through this season. But D-Rose is a point guard who also sets his teammates up, just as how Tom works with his callers and guests. Also, D-Rose is a bonafide superstar but a casual basketball fan would list about 20 players in the league before the get to D-Rose as the best in the world as we speak. This metaphor works well with that god awful Huffington Post thing that Tom was ranting about that listed Anderson Cooper on it. AC on a comedy/humor list is the same thing as Jamal Magloire or Mehmet Okur made the All-Star Game.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Chloe inChicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5660 on: January 29, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
Tom scores all the points. That's why he's KD. KD and Tom are the true People's Champ.

Another good Scharpling/NBA comparison -- Derrick Rose. I actually think that this might be better. D-Rose is the MVP this year so far through this season. But D-Rose is a point guard who also sets his teammates up, just as how Tom works with his callers and guests. Also, D-Rose is a bonafide superstar but a casual basketball fan would list about 20 players in the league before the get to D-Rose as the best in the world as we speak. This metaphor works well with that god awful Huffington Post thing that Tom was ranting about that listed Anderson Cooper on it. AC on a comedy/humor list is the same thing as Jamal Magloire or Mehmet Okur made the All-Star Game.

Very nice on the D-Rose comparison! I completely agree. Tom is the MVP that gets no respect from "higher-ups". But he plays hard, and does his job better than everybody else. And keeps the team afloat.

Would Chicago be, what, 32-14 (?) without him? HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

As if it matters, Greg, you just scored some points with that post.

gordon!

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5661 on: January 29, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
Everyone knows Tom is a DJ equivalent to Luc Longley. C'mon FOTS, get your head in the game.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5662 on: January 30, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »
Fatty was railroaded, big time. Jerry Stahl wrote a very good novel from his point of view, titled I, Fatty.

I will second recommending this book. Amazing stuff. It got me through 3 days of jury duty.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5663 on: January 30, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »

Another good Scharpling/NBA comparison -- Derrick Rose. I actually think that this might be better. D-Rose is the MVP this year so far through this season. But D-Rose is a point guard who also sets his teammates up, just as how Tom works with his callers and guests. Also, D-Rose is a bonafide superstar but a casual basketball fan would list about 20 players in the league before the get to D-Rose as the best in the world as we speak.

Love it. I think you can stretch the comparison even further. Rose is playing with 2 stomach ulcers, Tom had his kidney stone. Warriors! Also, as awesome as both are, they're still getting better.

Paydirt!

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5664 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:10 AM »
Everyone knows Tom is a DJ equivalent to Luc Longley. C'mon FOTS, get your head in the game.
Australia's own! I was wondering for a moment why that name sounded so familiar to me despite being completely unfamiliar with basketball outside of NBA Jam on the Super Nintendo; any Australian who gets signed to an American sports team, their name is inescapable here from that moment on (see also: Andrew Bogut, Saverio Rocca, Darren Bennett).

Alex_from_the_woods

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5665 on: February 01, 2011, 07:31:40 AM »

I will second recommending this book. Amazing stuff. It got me through 3 days of jury duty.

Sounds like fun. Thanks guys. I just ordered the book.
Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Exsanguination?

TheeChrisDee

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5666 on: February 01, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »
I think Tom may hate this NBA comparison, but I would say that Tom is Paul Pierce.  He's one of the best players of his era, yet other more flashy players have gotten more attention. He's a champion, he can dominate superstars on both ends of the floor, he's a wily veteran...and one can say he's gotten better with age, he's also bombastic, cocky and can back it up.  Durant and Rose haven't proven it for as long as Tom/Pierce has.
Can I use the "F-word", Tom?

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5667 on: February 01, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »
I think Tom may hate this NBA comparison, but I would say that Tom is Paul Pierce.  He's one of the best players of his era, yet other more flashy players have gotten more attention. He's a champion, he can dominate superstars on both ends of the floor, he's a wily veteran...and one can say he's gotten better with age, he's also bombastic, cocky and can back it up.  Durant and Rose haven't proven it for as long as Tom/Pierce has.
And lest we forget that back in 2000 Pierce was STABBED 11 TIMES and almost died!!!
And his nickname is The Truth.
"Dad gets mad."

Chloe inChicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5668 on: February 01, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
And lest we forget that back in 2000 Pierce was STABBED 11 TIMES and almost died!!!
And his nickname is The Truth.

But what about how much I dislike Paul Pierce, and how much I like Tom? Too much of a gap.

What about Dwight Howard?
Sorry, big Magic fan here. Had to.

TheeChrisDee

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5669 on: February 01, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »
Tom's too tough to be compared to Dwight Howard...

ouch.
Can I use the "F-word", Tom?