Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778212 times)

Chloe inChicago

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #5670 on: February 01, 2011, 04:47:01 PM »
Tom's too tough to be compared to Dwight Howard...

ouch.

Ha! Dwight probably gets pushed around and fouled more than anyone in the NBA, but he's too tough to let it affect him. And the refs don't call anything because he just puts up with it.

Can I compare Tom to Stan Van Gundy? Ha!

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5671 on: February 01, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
Tom cannot be Paul Pierce because:
1) As he said not too long ago, Boston's sports teams are repulsive. Tom is not repulsive.
2) Paul Pierce, while great, is not the best. Tom is the best.

Tom cannot be Dwight Howard because:
While Dwight Howard's awesome (and quickly becoming one of the best defensive players of all-time), he's not a fundamentally sound offensive player. He's improving that part of his game but he'll never make a free throw when you need it. He's a liability at that part of the game. Tom's not a liability at all and comes through in the clutch.

His comparison has to be an All-League First Team candidate. The most likely folks for those honors this season are: D-Rose, KD, LeBron, Dwayne Wade, Howard, Nowitzki, Monta Ellis, Kobe and Amare.

Out of that list, only D-Rose, KD, Howard, Monta and Amare are likable. So the candidates have to go through these people.

Amare does have the word "STAT" tattoed on his arm which is lame. He's also the product of an up-tempo Mike D'Antoni system, which inflates his stats. Tom's on freeform underdog WFMU, which doesn't have the ability (thank god) to use billboards or the like to up Tom's listenership.

Monta Ellis once got into a dirtbike accident. I don't think Tom rides a moped.

So it has to be either D-Rose or KD. I think it's a toss-up between those two.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Chloe inChicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5672 on: February 01, 2011, 05:16:30 PM »
Tom cannot be Paul Pierce because:
1) As he said not too long ago, Boston's sports teams are repulsive. Tom is not repulsive.
2) Paul Pierce, while great, is not the best. Tom is the best.

Tom cannot be Dwight Howard because:
While Dwight Howard's awesome (and quickly becoming one of the best defensive players of all-time), he's not a fundamentally sound offensive player. He's improving that part of his game but he'll never make a free throw when you need it. He's a liability at that part of the game. Tom's not a liability at all and comes through in the clutch.

His comparison has to be an All-League First Team candidate. The most likely folks for those honors this season are: D-Rose, KD, LeBron, Dwayne Wade, Howard, Nowitzki, Monta Ellis, Kobe and Amare.

Out of that list, only D-Rose, KD, Howard, Monta and Amare are likable. So the candidates have to go through these people.

Amare does have the word "STAT" tattoed on his arm which is lame. He's also the product of an up-tempo Mike D'Antoni system, which inflates his stats. Tom's on freeform underdog WFMU, which doesn't have the ability (thank god) to use billboards or the like to up Tom's listenership.

Monta Ellis once got into a dirtbike accident. I don't think Tom rides a moped.

So it has to be either D-Rose or KD. I think it's a toss-up between those two.

Very solid analysis, Greg. You're right about Howard as a liability.

(p.s. Greg gets more votes for protege)

Greggulator

« Reply #5673 on: February 01, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »
I forgot Nowitzki.

Tom can't be Nowitzki because of the facial hair and because Tom's significant other does not have bench warrants for identity theft.

(PS -- I welcome all protege support!)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5674 on: February 01, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
Ah, a big sports guy as protege.  Just the thing to help balance out the ladies-to-dudes ratio among the listening demographic.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5675 on: February 01, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »
Much as the conversation with Wally Wackiman as protege inevitably revolved a lot around puppets, a similar pattern is emerging with Greg and basketball... but puppets at least make sense to me. 
Don't let one listener's ignorance of sports deter you though.

Greggulator

« Reply #5676 on: February 01, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »
Much as the conversation with Wally Wackiman as protege inevitably revolved a lot around puppets, a similar pattern is emerging with Greg and basketball... but puppets at least make sense to me. 
Don't let one listener's ignorance of sports deter you though.

I can talk about many other topics including, but not limited to: professional wrestling (which is fake sports), many indie/punk rock bands, bizarre US history factoids, the Modern Butlers website, most reality TV shows that involve cooking (because of my wife), Survivor, hating improv comedy, early-period GWAR, oil prices (from work), prop comics, The Gilmore Girls (which may help the guy/girl ratio but that's seriously an awesome show), Law and Order, Law and Order:SVU, I Know My Name Is Steven and many other TV movies and other things.

I just happen to have a podcast about the NBA that Tom likes.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5677 on: February 01, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »
I didn't want to be rude.  Just saw that comparison (moreso in this thread than on the air)... and sports stuff goes way over my head.  Not trying to be a jerk.  I was way into that butler forum, clearly.  Your brother's road trip thing was really cool (my friend played drums in the band he had), and, uh, I am fairly well versed in scumdog mythology. Nothing against you, just sports.

Is 'I Know My Name Is Steven' that movie where a kid lives with a kidnapper for a bunch of years and then winds up going home to his original parents?  So, they try to give him the cereal he liked when he was 5 and he's like, "I like eggs now" and they get all bummed?

Greggulator

« Reply #5678 on: February 01, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »
I didn't want to be rude.  Just saw that comparison (moreso in this thread than on the air)... and sports stuff goes way over my head.  Not trying to be a jerk.  I was way into that butler forum, clearly.  Your brother's road trip thing was really cool (my friend played drums in the band he had), and, uh, I am fairly well versed in scumdog mythology. Nothing against you, just sports.

Is 'I Know My Name Is Steven' that movie where a kid lives with a kidnapper for a bunch of years and then winds up going home to his original parents?  So, they try to give him the cereal he liked when he was 5 and he's like, "I like eggs now" and they get all bummed?

Oh, no worries. I was just kidding around in my post and trying to subtly campaign for the protege position.

That is indeed the movie I'm talking about. One of the most creepy and hilarious things ever made. The real life version of that story's even creepier -- the brother of the kid who got kidnapped ended up killing a bunch of prostitutes near Yosemite park. What a family reunion that must be....

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5679 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
GWAR and gilmore girls?

i'm totally backing Greg for protege
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5680 on: February 01, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
I love Gilmore Girls too.  :P

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #5681 on: February 02, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »
Depravity's Rainbow-

Best moments: Nicole's transcendent singing, Cruise Talk with Mike and Hodgman ("Creepy Luggage.") & ChrisL as Jesco White.

Worst Moments: The Scorpion King & the lack of silly voices.

"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5682 on: February 02, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
Fish, you weren't being rude, I was.  I'm actually hostile to sports, not just ignorant about them.  But in light of that last post, I am now pulling for Greg myself.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5683 on: February 02, 2011, 07:36:26 AM »
GWAR and gilmore girls?

i'm totally backing Greg for protege

Yeah, the pro-Gilmore girls = GAME OVER, GREGGULATOR VICTORY.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5684 on: February 02, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »

I have no issue with your comparison for Tom, but no way Monta makes first team all NBA.