Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777756 times)

NJL

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #5730 on: February 10, 2011, 04:51:47 PM »
"Don", the man who belives Olivia Munn is a godess,  has called into TBS and Night People many times under different names, on Night People espousing his allegations about Tom that only revealed his own creepiness.  This was clearly an attempt to try and prove his weird theories that Tom dislikes women.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5731 on: February 10, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »
Regarding the anti-Olivia Munn guy, I kind of hate the concept of "geek culture." Isn't "geek culture" just watching movies and talking about them with people?

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5732 on: February 10, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
There are few things that bother me more than people who are dismissive of people who enjoy sports. It's possible to like them without being a meathead.....I understand that there are plenty of sports fans that are awful people. Guess what? There are also lots of awful people that don't like sports. Some people are shitty, most people aren't. Get the fuck over it.

It is possible to dislike sports without caring whether other people are into it or not.  I don't think that has anything to do with not wanting to be bombarded with details about something that doesn't interest you, in a setting where it's not relevant.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5733 on: February 10, 2011, 06:22:41 PM »
There are few things that bother me more than people who are dismissive of people who enjoy sports. It's possible to like them without being a meathead.....I understand that there are plenty of sports fans that are awful people. Guess what? There are also lots of awful people that don't like sports. Some people are shitty, most people aren't. Get the fuck over it.

It is possible to dislike sports without caring whether other people are into it or not.  I don't think that has anything to do with not wanting to be bombarded with details about something that doesn't interest you, in a setting where it's not relevant.

tom talks about sports, basketball in particular, all the time on the air. it's totally a part of the best show.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Sarah

« Reply #5734 on: February 10, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
I am mostly indifferent to sport, but I rather enjoy the basketball talk. 

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Official Compare The Best Show On WFMU To Sports Thread
« Reply #5735 on: February 10, 2011, 06:33:11 PM »
That's true.  And yet no one would think of Tom as a meathead.

Yannick

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5736 on: February 10, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
Regarding the anti-Olivia Munn guy, I kind of hate the concept of "geek culture." Isn't "geek culture" just watching movies and talking about them with people?

Its plenty of things but people way into nerd stuffs (I certainly am) create weird clubhouse mentalities where they get possessive about them or the people talking about them (like Olivia Munn would on Attack Of The Show).

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5737 on: February 11, 2011, 10:03:50 AM »
Regarding The Red Hot Chili Peppers' 'Under the Bridge Downtown' Tom says something like "that's such a good song".

And then proceeds to describe the vocal performance as Anthony Kiedes doing karaoke to his own band.

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5738 on: February 11, 2011, 11:07:05 AM »
Tom's storytime was one of the longest uninterrupted-by-a-phone-call segments in a while. A wonderful monologue. Makes me wonder how much the callers actually offer. The Best Show needs more Tom.

His impression of and inexplicable hatred for Ricky Gervais' laugh: high point.

(Am I being an Artie here?)

Yeah exactly! I have been thinking about how funny Tom's story about falling asleep on the couch only to wake up to the sound of his own voice saying "Help Me!" was, all week. I wish there were more monologues! Somehow Tom can take the mundane drugery of life and make it anecdotal. :)
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5739 on: February 11, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »
I like the storytime segments. I think an essential part of the protege competition would be giving the candidate 5 minutes to tell a story.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5740 on: February 11, 2011, 07:13:14 PM »
"Don", the man who belives Olivia Munn is a godess,  has called into TBS and Night People many times under different names, on Night People espousing his allegations about Tom that only revealed his own creepiness.  This was clearly an attempt to try and prove his weird theories that Tom dislikes women.
He also said that his dad was in World war 1.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5741 on: February 11, 2011, 09:16:06 PM »
And now, for a tangent:
There are few things that bother me more than people who are dismissive of people who enjoy sports. It's possible to like them without being a meathead. That fact should be even more evident now with all the smart/funny/well-written blogs that didn't have a platform before the Internet. Our own Scratchbomb is a great example. While I may not be too interested in the Mets, I do like baseball, and I always enjoy reading his work. It's part of the reason that I enjoy Tom so much because he's one of the few funny people that doesn't just dismiss sports or anyone who likes them. I understand that there are plenty of sports fans that are awful people. Guess what? There are also lots of awful people that don't like sports. Some people are shitty, most people aren't. Get the fuck over it.

I guess I'm just more sensitive about it right now after having to wade through 75% of the people I follow on Twitter (and 99% of the comedians) bitching about people watching the Super Bowl.

The problem is that people watch the Super Bowl who don't like sports. They just watch because they want to see the commercials  which is about as stupid a reason as I can imagine for watching anything.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5742 on: February 11, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »
For about the first half of Tom's Rudy story, I got confused and thought he was talking about Lucas.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5743 on: February 11, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »
Max throwing his hat in the protege ring was great.  He's responsible for http://www.mocktopus.com/ a pretty funny comic and I hope to see him get in the Protege Mix.

I didn't realize that was him. I've heard him on the War Rocket Ajax podcast and he now officially has my backing.

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5744 on: February 12, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »
Geneva brought it: a confidence pie to our faces.
She had been baking it for the better part of a year.