Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2774227 times)

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #5805 on: February 19, 2011, 07:12:40 AM »
Referring to Tom as Babe was one of my better moments.

CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5806 on: February 19, 2011, 08:59:02 AM »
"better" is a funny word, isn't it?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5807 on: February 19, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »
Actually, I would agree that that was one of Spike's better moments.  Maybe second after "Some meth would be good."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5808 on: February 19, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »
Actually, I would agree that that was one of Spike's better moments.  Maybe second after "Some meth would be good."

Agreed. I'm also a fan of "I'm not old enough to remember that. *beat* Oh, wait. Yes, I am."

Speaking of Spike, can anyone point me towards his first call? I've tried to find it on my own to no avail.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5809 on: February 19, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
Spike is craftier than we give him credit for. Remember a month or two when Tom sternly commanded Spike to never call him "Pet" again? Spike seemed to heed that command ... but comes right back with "Babe".

Okay, maybe that's not so much "crafty" as much as ... persistent, I guess.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5810 on: February 19, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
He's like a little kid who follows parental rules to the letter but decidedly not in spirit.

"I told you never to hit your little brother again."
"I didn't hit him, I slapped him."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5811 on: February 19, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
It could have been left at the opening strums of Closing Time and it would have been an incredible parody [...]

Is there anything funnier than the powerful late-1990s emotions of Closing Time? That's one of the bands Mother 13 remind me of, because both arrived on the scene with unjustified comparisons to R.E.M.

I cracked up at the line about the PayPal account set up to defray the expenses of Podcastin'.

I know Tom insisted is was no specific but i couldn't help but think Closing Time was a little dig at Comedy and Everything Else and it's terrible Weezer song.

I think the levels being inconsistent was a dig at early C&EE. I listen to C&EE and I like it, but in the early days it was hard to listen to because I never knew where I was supposed to set the volume, and adjusting it in mid-run didn't work very well.

JBE CEO

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5812 on: February 20, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »
I'm only about half way through the Podcast but the part where Tom threatens and then apologizes to Mike in the same breath had me laughing pretty hard.

"You don't know what you're talking about Mike. [Mike arguing that he does in the background] You have no idea, oh my God I wanna push you off the roof of this building, yeah Scalabrine it is, it is Brian Scalabrine, I apologize"
Friend of Jon

Pidgeon

« Reply #5813 on: February 20, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »
That Green Bay guy was kind of a drag. It's been a while since a truly crazy person called the show.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5814 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
That Green Bay guy was kind of a drag. It's been a while since a truly crazy person called the show.

I thought he was hilarious - his admission that the sole reason he had the courage to call was because Green Bay won the superbowl is the "I'm Hesh!" of 2011.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5815 on: February 21, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »
Was the Green Bay guy the one with the weird spaceship hangup?

I like the premise of his call:  "Tom, you say you're a slob, but you'd be right there on the space ark with John Hodgman and Dick Cheney and all your famous friends." Tom, in answer to the guy's entirely hypothetical scenario:  "No, I wouldn't go.  I'd give you my place." Guy, totally unprepared for the turn this has taken: "..."

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5816 on: February 21, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »
Was the Green Bay guy the one with the weird spaceship hangup?

I like the premise of his call:  "Tom, you say you're a slob, but you'd be right there on the space ark with John Hodgman and Dick Cheney and all your famous friends." Tom, in answer to the guy's entirely hypothetical scenario:  "No, I wouldn't go.  I'd give you my place." Guy, totally unprepared for the turn this has taken: "..."

Yes, the Green Bay call was the weird spaceship call.  I thought that call was great.  Even when Tom called him out for saying "we won the Super Bowl" he tried to defend using "we" -- not sure I followed anything he said.  I  hope he calls again.  Give him Spike's opening slot.

stepheninchicago

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5817 on: February 21, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »
I'm only about half way through the Podcast but the part where Tom threatens and then apologizes to Mike in the same breath had me laughing pretty hard.

"You don't know what you're talking about Mike. [Mike arguing that he does in the background] You have no idea, oh my God I wanna push you off the room of this building, yeah Scalabrine it is, it is Brian Scalabrine, I apologize"

absolutely LOVED this moment.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5818 on: February 21, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
Here's that great Mel Brooks picture that guy was talking about:

On his Wikipedia page, it's positioned so that he's actually looking over at his filmography.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5819 on: February 22, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »
CHRIS ELLIOTT IS ON THE SHOW TONIGHT!!!  ;D ;D ;D