Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777708 times)

stepheninchicago

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6000 on: March 23, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »
+ Magic (jesus christ...that was absolutely stunning)
+ The kid with the weird playlists (my cynical heart warmed like a boilerplate over that call!)
+ The Pinball story

-That dude from Illinois. What a jerk-off.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6001 on: March 23, 2011, 02:59:49 PM »
Magic's musings on Muscle Milk.

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6002 on: March 23, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »
I just have to say this...  Laurie From Miami:  ugh. "Trust fundies keep the station afloat."

Thank goodness Tom stopped her from putting her foot in her mouth.

I think don't think there was any malicious intent on her part, but it certainly came across as a pretty tacky comment. As always, Laurie was a good sport about the whole thing.

dragonchiptune

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6003 on: March 23, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
Despite a streak of teenagers calling the show, who I felt let the show slow down, last night was a great show. Great S&W calls. I agree with Andrew from Philadelphia, Laurie is always a good player in Tom's zings. For many of the listener call-ins, they were as Tom says, a "quality caller".

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6004 on: March 23, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »
I just have to say this...  Laurie From Miami:  ugh. "Trust fundies keep the station afloat."

I think don't think there was any malicious intent on her part, but it certainly came across as a pretty tacky comment. As always, Laurie was a good sport about the whole thing.

Laurie is always a good sport and seems like a nice person. But, yes, it was a tacky comment, especially the usage of "trust fundies".

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6005 on: March 23, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »
Relevant to Tom's pinball/video-game stories (as well as that creepy Magic kid):

BISHOP OF BATTLE - part 1

"The Bishop of Battle" starring Emilio Estevez Sr.'s son from the 1983 movie Nightmares.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6006 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »
I like when Tom theorized that the late Vincent Price would've found Spike's horrible fake laugh too theatrical.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6007 on: March 24, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »
I like when Tom theorized that the late Vincent Price would've found Spike's horrible fake laugh too theatrical.

TOO THEATRICAL, PETS?
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6008 on: March 24, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »

TOO THEATRICAL, PETS?

I'm sure the FOT wouldn't have it any other way Spike.

On a sidenote: My tow truck driver last night told me he had a stepbrother (possibly stepuncle?) who lived in New Port Richey, Florida. I couldn't help myself and asked if his name was Fredericks. No dice. 

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6009 on: March 24, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »

Laurie is always a good sport and seems like a nice person. But, yes, it was a tacky comment, especially the usage of "trust fundies".

I kind of take pride in the fact that  in the war between the snobs and the slobs  your average 'FMU fan seems to fall squarely on the slob side of the equation. I know the whole "hardhat" thing Tom plays up is mostly schtick, but I like to think there's something to it. I know my $75 pledge meant something to me  and I like to think that on the whole  people who donated weren't just rich kids  spending frivilously just because they can. My second favorite show on WFMU is SHUT UP, WEIRDO and  and I mean this with great affection when I say that  if you listen to that show once it will become apparent that WFMU listeners are not all "trust fundies."  WFMU seems to appeal more to oddballs and misfits than anything else and I would not have it any other way.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6010 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:03 PM »
Nice post, Eric Fishlegs.  Chris T's show makes that pretty clear too. 
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6011 on: March 25, 2011, 12:12:06 AM »
The Garrison Keillor rant was top flight.

(After talking about Prairie Home Companion for several minutes:) "You're a hundred now, it's not our fault!...You were young once, you're not any more, it's OK!...I'll do that show.  I'll do Horse Radio--What's it called?  Prairie Home Companion?  For some reason I thought it had 'horse' in the title...Is one of the characters a horse or something?"

By the way, am I the only one who noticed Spike sneaking in "Lovey" again as an apellation for Tom? It was right while Tom was getting exercised about something else, so he took no time to react---Man, that Spike dude is crafty.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6012 on: March 25, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »
Among the best moments: Tom talking about how he & Mike were "crawling around like the Super Mario Brothers fixing a terlet" when they were scrambling to get the phone bank set.

Among the worst: That pinball high-score card caper. Creepy.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6013 on: March 25, 2011, 02:43:22 PM »
After relistening to it: "Now this is Fredericks. He is a mentally ill man"
                                  "Caller of the year!"

So glad Fredericks is back.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6014 on: March 26, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »