Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778449 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6105 on: April 05, 2011, 02:38:58 PM »

Someone deleting one of Spike's changes:

# (cur | prev) 13:17, 13 March 2011 76.181.69.169 (Stalk) (6,010 bytes) (Removed the word "beloved", which is POV) (undo)

"(A)nd more important," on the other hand, is of course just plain fact.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

fonpr

• Space Champion!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6108 on: April 05, 2011, 11:01:17 PM »
Tom as Garrison Keillor impersonating Spike.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

DS1077

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6109 on: April 06, 2011, 12:35:42 AM »
Always good to hear from Jen Kirkman.  I'm a male age 18-34 who thinks she's funny, so the Comedy Central execs that I assume read this forum can just deal with that knowledge.

Kormod

« Reply #6110 on: April 06, 2011, 12:49:05 AM »
I think Dr. Pervison needs to step down as Mike's protege and jump in the race to be Tom's. It's the only way this thing's going to be settled satisfactorily. With the candidates out there now, there are too many uncertainties:

H-Man -- shamefully in absentia.
Wally Wackiman -- ungentlemanlike pervert, might be unable to tell difference between a human being and a soundboard.
Greggulator -- promising, but could cause All About Eve situation.
Geneva -- promising, but unwilling to do Mike's bidding and probably too nice to Heave Ho/GOMP unruly callers.
Ben Kharakh -- Ralph Nader of the protege race, no shot at winning.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6111 on: April 06, 2011, 01:09:05 AM »
It's kind of like the Republican bench for 2012. So far, all the self-identified hopefuls have obvious liabilities, so the party mandarins wait and hope for someone perhaps less flashy, but more mature and seasoned, to throw their hat into the ring.

In this analogy, someone like Fredericks is like, who? Mitch Daniels?  Wait.  Jeb Bush?  (Florida, y'know.)

What about a dark horse like Chris L?  Does he have a trace of that Chris Christie rock-star magic?  Well...

Dave from Knoxville?  Could the good-ol'-boy vote make him the Haley Barbour of this race, should he decide to run????

Actually, maybe this analogy isn't as fecund as I thought at first.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6112 on: April 06, 2011, 01:20:33 AM »
But needless to say, if the analogy did hold water, Larry the Perv would be Our Trump.

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6113 on: April 06, 2011, 01:37:49 AM »
It's kind of like the Republican bench of hopefuls for 2012. So far, all the self-identified hopefuls have obvious liabilities, so the party mandarins wait and hope for someone perhaps less flashy, but more mature and seasoned, to throw their hat into the ring.

In this analogy, someone like Fredericks is like, who? Mitch Daniels?  Wait.

What about a dark horse like Chris L?  Does he have a trace of that Chris Christie rock-star magic?  Well...

Dave from Knoxville?  Could the good-ol'-boy vote make him the Haley Barbour of this race, should he decide to run????

Actually, maybe this analogy isn't as fecund as I thought at first.

I think I'm always going to be the Hillary in all of these political analogies.
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

YearRoundSteve

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6114 on: April 06, 2011, 08:14:53 AM »
Best:

- "David Spayed and neutered" Spike's zinger and Tom's Mad Magazine response: "So what's Sergio Aragones really like?"
- old lady rich voice: "Send me some diamonds. this sounds intriguing."
- the Danny Zuko impression
- "throw me the watch, i give you the whip"
- Wally: "i know she's taken and i know people and puppets don't necessarily work that way" Tom: "Maybe you break them up"
- "even puppets have to die-ie-ie-ie-ie"
- "I'm not a fighter but i will say this: anyone comes at me? I'll punch your face in"
- "a FELTdown? get it?"
- i am ALL ABOUT Larry D Perv coming back
- "and ghosts too, i'll fight otherwordly creatures. ghosts, goblins, dragons. I'll fight anything that comes down here."

this was a great one
When I was a kid I wanted to grow up to be a Ghostbuster or a shark. True story

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6115 on: April 06, 2011, 09:12:13 AM »
I think Dr. Pervison needs to step down as Mike's protege and jump in the race to be Tom's. It's the only way this thing's going to be settled satisfactorily. With the candidates out there now, there are too many uncertainties:

H-Man -- shamefully in absentia.
Wally Wackiman -- ungentlemanlike pervert, might be unable to tell difference between a human being and a soundboard.
Greggulator -- promising, but could cause All About Eve situation.
Geneva -- promising, but unwilling to do Mike's bidding and probably too nice to Heave Ho/GOMP unruly callers.
Ben Kharakh -- Ralph Nader of the protege race, no shot at winning.

I think the emphasis with my candidacy should be "BUT COULD CAUSE." I know I was labeled as a sycophant in early calls but I chalk that up to nervousness -- I never called in until Tom mentioned me as a potential protege one random night. But I took my medicine (when Tom put me on mute while I blabbed away), learned my lesson and have looked to up my calling game by studying the greats.

My New Hampshire and Iowa primary speeches may have stalled my initial splash into the world of Best Show Caller/hopeful protege but I feel like I've shown some improvement on our way towards the eventual Super Tuesday. Also: managed to slip in "pop a squat" without getting the heave ho.

Also: The show was awesome last night. Jen's a great guest. She and Tom work really well together. The past two shows have been great.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Greggulator

« Reply #6116 on: April 06, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
The Wally/Soundboard stuff was superb. I really have this vision of someone driving around North Jersey looking for an NPR station (or death metal on WSOU) and hearing that and having absolutely NO idea what was happening.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Wes

« Reply #6117 on: April 06, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »
Well, I guess we all know the real reason why Wally's lower torso can never be shown to the public. I'm still reeling over the shocking revelations about him from last night. No wonder he's purple, this guy thinks he's the puppet Prince, trying to put moves on everybody. It's a shame that his depravity may have put a cloud over the sweet, genuine friendship that was clearly blossoming between Kirkman and Spike.

Though I may not agree with Sarge's methods, Mike is doing a fine job putting the proteges through their paces. He's simultaneously exposing their lack of courage and lack of dignity. The man knows his business.

Did we have the first official turfing of a protege contestant last night? I hope the next one Tom tosses comes after he does a Trump-style boardroom inquisition and gets them to say who they'd fire next.

Some other highlights: Jen Kirkman was a great guest, though I do wish we'd have gotten a Julie/Kirkman call now that Julie is the one less likely to break out the toilet talk. I continue to be intrigued by James From SE PA's move towards becoming sentient and less of a robot, sounds like he upgraded his voice simulation software package. The Keillor impression showcase was amazing. I'd like to hear Keillor's impression of Weezy next time, or possibly a Keillor/Hogan conversation, as they seem to have more in common vocally than I ever would have expected.

And of course, the triumphant return of L.D. Pervison. The guy knows how to make an impact, dere. Also, all of the speculation surrounding his call that he had to duck out of work to make the call, standing in an alley behind the check cashing place with the back door propped open by a brick so nobody could hear him put on the Larry voice. Mike also let us know that Dr. P called him back afterwards to say "Thank you, Michael". True class.
This may be the year I will disappear.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6118 on: April 06, 2011, 10:41:51 AM »

Though I may not agree with Sarge's methods, Mike is doing a fine job putting the proteges through their paces. He's simultaneously exposing their lack of courage and lack of dignity. The man knows his business.

This is known as "breaking them down so they can be built back up."  Actually, the present-day US military has largely moved away from this model for basic training (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Transformation+in+basic+combat+training%3a+making+Soldiers+Army+Strong-a0159077819), but Sarge don't stand for that pussified shit, he's keeping it Old School.

Kormod

« Reply #6119 on: April 06, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »
But needless to say, if the analogy did hold water, Larry the Perv would be Our Trump.

I see D.L.P.  as more of a Chris Christie (a slimmer, non-evil version) than a Donald Trump -- no one thinks he'll run but everyone wants him to. I can't tell if H-Man is Sarah Palin (doesn't care about the race and just wanted the initial attention) or Nixon (wants his adversaries to underestimate him so at the end he can swoop in for the win). I'm leaning towards the former, though it'd be a pleasant surprise to find out that he secretly tunes into the show every week while sitting in a leather armchair, drinking scotch and waters. Wackiman is John Edwards.