Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2777788 times)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6150 on: April 08, 2011, 12:24:07 AM »
This episode really needs to be listened to on earphones.  Jen Kirkman's almost-off-mike chuckles, tee-hees, HA!'s and barely-retrained belly-laughs, run through her natural ex-smoker's voice modulator set on "extra-grainy," provide so much subliminal ambient texture that it's like The Best Show as produced by Brian Eno for Obscure Records.

Yeah, I might have to revisit the Wally vs. Soundboard section of the show with headphones ...  just to see what kind of hallucinogenic/acousmatic effects that might produce. Tom was doing some almost-off-mike chuckling of his own during that epic stanza.

Wally's really been taking it on his vaguely-defined chin this week ... but let's give him some credit for his fortitude throughout that whole soundboard business. That was very thick-felted of him.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6151 on: April 08, 2011, 04:47:02 AM »
I make this post, knowing the risk of FOT castigation that is inherent. This is my belief and I stand by it.

The Wackiman/FoNPR Soundboard bit was the worst 10-15 minutes of Best Show I ever heard, especially as I had to assume it was a pre-arranged bit. No one would be dumb enough to fall for that. Maybe I'm "popping the bubble" but so be it. I'm usually just say what I like about the show but I felt so strongly about this I had to say something negative. Sorry.

On the plus side Jen Kirkman is rad. (And she is attractive, no matter how uncouth it may be considered to say that. Or is it only puppets that can't say it?)
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6152 on: April 08, 2011, 05:34:41 AM »
Some opinions are better left unsaid.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6153 on: April 08, 2011, 09:27:01 AM »
I can see how not everyone would be on board with that bit. To me, part of what was funny was the commitment to the bit and the 'how far will they go with this?' element, which I'm sure would have the opposite effect on some people.

Additionally, as a math nerd the idea of a soundboard passing the Turing test is really funny to me. They really integrated a lot of humorous elements into that segment, but some differential of opinion is to be expected. Everybody has their limit.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6154 on: April 08, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »
Well, I sure hope it can't just not be said by a puppet.  That would be more of the prejudiced puppetism that Wally's been vocally against.  Secondly, speaking for Wally, I assure you 100% that it was in no way pre-arranged.  Neither I nor Wally knew that would happen beforehand, AT ALL.  Wally just called up on a whim, and landed smack-dab in the middle of it.  Either way, you're of course free to not like it.

-Zach

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6155 on: April 08, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »
Oh, and just a quick addendum: For all of you who really liked it, thinking it was pre-arranged, then YES, it was ABSOLUTELY, 100% pre-arranged.

-Zach

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6156 on: April 08, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
Well, I sure hope it can't just not be said by a puppet.  That would be more of the prejudiced puppetism that Wally's been vocally against.  Secondly, speaking for Wally, I assure you 100% that it was in no way pre-arranged.  Neither I nor Wally knew that would happen beforehand, AT ALL.  Wally just called up on a whim, and landed smack-dab in the middle of it.  Either way, you're of course free to not like it.

-Zach

In which case, I must apologise for implying you were dumb. And say that no offence was intended. It just seemed like it was a set-up. I will gracefully accept I was wrong on that.

I can see how not everyone would be on board with that bit. To me, part of what was funny was the commitment to the bit and the 'how far will they go with this?' element, which I'm sure would have the opposite effect on some people.

Additionally, as a math nerd the idea of a soundboard passing the Turing test is really funny to me. They really integrated a lot of humorous elements into that segment, but some differential of opinion is to be expected. Everybody has their limit.

Thank you Steve, for being better able to articulate my point than I was. It was the sheer length of the thing that made it grate so. And thank you also for mentioning the Turing test, which prompted me to look it up, and then feel more educated after I did.

"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Kormod

« Reply #6157 on: April 08, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
I myself thought the exchange between puppet and soundboard was hilarious and a highlight of this week's show.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6158 on: April 08, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »

-Zach

In which case, I must apologise for implying you were dumb. And say that no offence was intended. It just seemed like it was a set-up. I will gracefully accept I was wrong on that.

Thank you Steve, for being better able to articulate my point than I was. It was the sheer length of the thing that made it grate so. And thank you also for mentioning the Turing test, which prompted me to look it up, and then feel more educated after I did.

Hey eggheads, relax.  Tom sprung it on him and he rolled with it like a champ. 
I was gonna say that Wally blew everyone out of the water, but then he stuck his proverbial (since he has none) foot in his mouth, not by saying anything that could be construed as pervy, but for actually vocalizing the tired old sentiment that women aren't funny. Adding "attractive" to the statement doesn't make it any more acceptable.
I love you, Wally. You live and you learn.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6159 on: April 08, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »
If I can just clarify something on Wally's behalf, since it came out all wrong, it wasn't meant to imply that women aren't funny.  It was just that Jen exemplifies the best of both worlds between funny and physical attractiveness.  Wally meant for it to be more in the lines of some comediennes are really funny, and moderately attractive or moderately funny, and very attractive.  I and he know that saying "This is not meant to insult anybody..." as a preface doesn't necessarily excuse what's said afterwards, but we both still think it's something taken somewhat out of context and then blown out of proportion.  Again, neither I nor Wally are sexists.  I hope this helps clear things up, in this regard.

Going back to Wally's true highlight of the evening, I did a Google search of "Wackiman soundboard" (without the actual quotes), and came upon a German message board.  Interested in what was being said, I went to their translator, and got this:

Especially the conversation between Wally and the Wackiman Fredericks sound heard by the board last Tuesday (from one hour and 30 minutes) on the way home. Always nice when one is traveling alone, begins to laugh loudly and then captures the anxious eyes of others ...

For a second opinion, I followed up with Altavista's Babelfish translator:

The straight maintenance between Wally Wackiman and the Fredericks Soundboard of last Tuesday (starting from one hour and 30 minutes) on the way home belongs. Always beautifully, if one alone on the way is, begins, to laugh loud and then anxious views of the fellow men catches itself…

I guess I get the idea.  Still amusing how the translators don't match up, and can't seem to get a hold of the grammar.

-Zach

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6160 on: April 08, 2011, 02:57:15 PM »
I know. In fact, I was just coming back to say that I know that wasn't what he intended but how it came out.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6161 on: April 08, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Okay, cool.  Me and Wally are aware that's how it sounded, and that's why I put the explanation, and he has apologized publicly via his Twitter.  Jen and her husband Neil are now following him, and she sent him a nice tweet, so it's safe to say there are no hard feelings, there, and thus neither should there be, here.

Kormod

« Reply #6162 on: April 08, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
Wow, the German people seem to love Wally Wackiman. You might have a Viking Quest-esque following going on here. Here's a translation of another post from that thread:

"Man & Wackyman" is great. As jimmy jazz two years ago disappeared from the forum, I thought for a long time, this must be due to that he was now staying with the Best Show Wackyman as Wally.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6163 on: April 08, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »
I personally find pure comedy gold anytime a puppet gets frustrated or his/her feelings are hurt. Meta-hilariousness.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6164 on: April 08, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »
If I can just clarify something on Wally's behalf, since it came out all wrong, it wasn't meant to imply that women aren't funny.  It was just that Jen exemplifies the best of both worlds between funny and physical attractiveness.  Wally meant for it to be more in the lines of some comediennes are really funny, and moderately attractive or moderately funny, and very attractive.  I and he know that saying "This is not meant to insult anybody..." as a preface doesn't necessarily excuse what's said afterwards, but we both still think it's something taken somewhat out of context and then blown out of proportion.  Again, neither I nor Wally are sexists.  I hope this helps clear things up, in this regard.

Going back to Wally's true highlight of the evening, I did a Google search of "Wackiman soundboard" (without the actual quotes), and came upon a German message board.  Interested in what was being said, I went to their translator, and got this:

Especially the conversation between Wally and the Wackiman Fredericks sound heard by the board last Tuesday (from one hour and 30 minutes) on the way home. Always nice when one is traveling alone, begins to laugh loudly and then captures the anxious eyes of others ...

For a second opinion, I followed up with Altavista's Babelfish translator:

The straight maintenance between Wally Wackiman and the Fredericks Soundboard of last Tuesday (starting from one hour and 30 minutes) on the way home belongs. Always beautifully, if one alone on the way is, begins, to laugh loud and then anxious views of the fellow men catches itself…

I guess I get the idea.  Still amusing how the translators don't match up, and can't seem to get a hold of the grammar.

-Zach

The main take away from that for me is laughter makes Germans anxious.