Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2778490 times)

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6210 on: April 15, 2011, 03:52:36 AM »
I'm sure Spike will call in next week to whine about this, ban or no ban

Okay so I listened to the show on archive (as usual, damned time difference) but on the WFMU iphone app for the first time and not on iTunes as I usually do. There's not really a rewind function easily on the wfmu app, so I couldn't go back. My point is - I didn't hear Spike curse. Was it removed from the archive? I wasn't sure if Tom was joking (although it did not sound like it.) What did Spike say? And does cursing always result in a ban? I seem to recall Jen Kirkman talking about cursing in early calls but never being banned? I would miss Spikes calls if he was banned.#

Anyway, great show this week. Special kudos to Tom for doing the whole thing with no studio guests, no call in guests and no Wurster call and it still being a top shelf show. I salute you, sir.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6211 on: April 15, 2011, 08:03:31 AM »

Okay so I listened to the show on archive (as usual, damned time difference) but on the WFMU iphone app for the first time and not on iTunes as I usually do. There's not really a rewind function easily on the wfmu app, so I couldn't go back. My point is - I didn't hear Spike curse. Was it removed from the archive? I wasn't sure if Tom was joking (although it did not sound like it.) What did Spike say? And does cursing always result in a ban? I seem to recall Jen Kirkman talking about cursing in early calls but never being banned? I would miss Spikes calls if he was banned.#

Anyway, great show this week. Special kudos to Tom for doing the whole thing with no studio guests, no call in guests and no Wurster call and it still being a top shelf show. I salute you, sir.

there's a seven second delay on the radio. Tom can drop the call before its broadcast if someone curses that's why you don't hear it.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6212 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:08 AM »
"People are not getting killed for being caught cheating at cards, says Mike."
That made me laugh.

But Fredericks, was it "Bwahh hah hah hah hah haaaaa"

or "Boohoohoohoohoohoo"?

These details matter.

More of a "Hah".
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6213 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
Another high point: Mike bragging about hanging out with the Winklevoss Twins.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6214 on: April 15, 2011, 11:34:06 AM »
I got the feeling that the editor or journalist who said Tom's show was "too local" might not have realized that Newbridge was a fictional place.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6215 on: April 15, 2011, 03:49:35 PM »
I got the feeling that the editor or journalist who said Tom's show was "too local" might not have realized that Newbridge was a fictional place.

Wait, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?

-Zach

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6216 on: April 15, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »
Everyone says the puppet was top notch.

Thanks, Be The Boy!  I was just wondering specifically about Dragon's friend, especially as it came off, at least to me, like they may have not been a regular listener.

-Zach

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6217 on: April 15, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »
I played it for some friends, and they pretty much fell asleep immediately, which I thought was pretty rude.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6218 on: April 15, 2011, 09:49:19 PM »
I played it for some friends, and they pretty much fell asleep immediately, which I thought was pretty rude.

Are you talking specifically about the Wally and Fredericks interaction or just The Best Show?

-Zach

Kormod

« Reply #6219 on: April 15, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »

Are you talking specifically about the Wally and Fredericks interaction or just The Best Show?

-Zach

The Wally and Fredericks interaction.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6220 on: April 16, 2011, 12:00:19 AM »

I was wondering the same thing. For the last month or so Spike has really been growing on me (or at least  the way Tom has dealt with has grown on me) so I'd hate for him to be banned. Callers cursing  appears to be one thing Tom takes fairly seriously, but hopefully Spike will apologize profusely enough to get unbanned. I don't have an issue if he is banned just because I don't want the $75 I donated ging to FCC fines.

However I will say that "Michelle Bachman Turner Overdrive" made me laugh even though it makes no sense.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6221 on: April 16, 2011, 12:11:36 AM »
If Tom dumped him you'd never hear it. It's like time travel.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6222 on: April 16, 2011, 01:04:18 AM »
I was intrigued by fellow Asheville native Staceys call, she sounded cute. What!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #6223 on: April 16, 2011, 08:37:24 AM »

I was wondering the same thing. For the last month or so Spike has really been growing on me (or at least  the way Tom has dealt with has grown on me) so I'd hate for him to be banned.

Spike has been banned a ton of times over the years and it's never stopped him from calling in the next week.

And Yesno is right-the delay is like time travel, you don't hear it on the air b/c of the delay; Tom just snips that part out & there's still more delay left, so it becomes seamless to us. That's a terrible explanation but you get the idea. I think it's more than 7 seconds actually, maybe 20. If you've ever called in & you're on hold, that's real time w/no delays - I just remembered being in the queue once when someone swore. And it's always big science fiction-y futuristic fun when your call is done to turn the radio back on & hear the end of your own call!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6224 on: April 16, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
On Seven Second Delay the show, Ken has pointed out more than once that the station's delay is not seven seconds. That phrase was lifted by Andy from the lyrics of Donald Fagen's song "The Nightfly":

I'm Lester the Nightfly
Hello Baton Rouge
Won't you turn your radio down
Respect the seven second delay we use

This post has been brought to you by Pedantica, Inc.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau